Thread: League Setup: Team Goalies vs Individual Goalies

Dobber Sports Stud

Default League Setup: Team Goalies vs Individual Goalies

Our league is considering moving to team goalies (like team defense in fantasy football). Does anyone have experience with this set up and have advice on the pros / cons of going this route vs your typical drafting of individual goalies?
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: League Setup: Team Goalies vs Individual Goalies

I have experience with a league where you get the backup of your starter if none of your goalies play on the designated night, and also team QB, K, & P (yes, that is punters) football leagues. I'm ignoring Team defense, since that's reasonably well known.

You need to make sure that the number of starting spots in your league is not more than 40% of the number of teams in the league in a weekly start league. This is more important in football with bye weeks, but would still be important in hockey, so that there are some options on the wire.

You may also want to put a roster limit for team goalies, so that there are options on the wire.

Pros:

1. It will significantly reduce a team getting crap injury luck. I've had multiple football leagues, and a hockey league, where due to injuries and amount of players stashed on bench, I couldn't make a roster containing actual players in the league that allowed me to avoid having a zero for the position.

The worst football instance was losing all my QB's in one league during preseason, and waivers weren't open. So I had to either trade for somebody, or simply take a loss week 1. Almost nobody took 3 QB's, and I was one of those people. So a trade was not happening. The worst hockey instance was not being able to actually get enough starts for multiple weeks in a league where I took over a team with brutal goalie depth, and my only real starter/tandem guy got hurt.

2. It simplifies the drafting of players, especially the tracking of who is gone. It also removes the need to project timeshare winners.

3. Some goalie cats are really team cats: GAA, Wins.

4. It also means that you don't have to churn moves to replace goalies who get hurt in limited move leagues, especially without IR.

Cons:

1. It means that you are projecting teams more than goalies, and especially the lack of projecting surprise goalies. Some people will complain it takes some of the skill out of the exercise.

2. Some people will resist change simply because they hate change.

3. It will make using guides a bit more problematic, as valuations may change a lot.

4. Some sites may not allow that feature.

Hope that helps, it's all I can think of for right now.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: League Setup: Team Goalies vs Individual Goalies

This is great feedback, thank you! I have to spread around more rep before I can hit you up with it.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11