Thread: [Signed] Hurricanes sign Chase Priskie to 2 yearr ELC

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default [Signed] Hurricanes sign Chase Priskie to 2 yearr ELC

Probably the only NCAA player of note to take advantage of his ability to choose the team to sign his ELC with this year, right-shot defenseman Chase Priskie declined to sign with Washington and signed a 2 year ELC with the Jerks this morning. Nothing wrong with more defensive depth, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to see some NHL action this year.

CapFriendly@CapFriendly
    The #Canes have signed 23 year old UFA defenseman Chase Priskie to a two year, entry level contract.

Priskie became a UFA on August 15 when he remained unsigned by the Washington Capitals

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/chase-priskie …
    Priskie '19 Signs with NHL's Carolina Hurricanes

RALEIGH, N.C. – Former Quinnipiac men's ice hockey senior captain Chase Priskie has signed an NHL contract with the Carolina Hurricanes, as announced by the organization on Friday, August 16.

Priskie's entry-level NHL contract spans three seasons with the Hurricanes and locks him up in the organization through 2022-23 season, making him the fourth player from the 2018-19 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team to sign an NHL deal as he joins Brandon Fortunato '19 (Nashville Predators), Brogan Rafferty (Vancouver Canucks) and Andrew Shortridge (San Jose Sharks).

"Chase was one of the best defensemen in college hockey last season," said Hurricanes President and General Manager Don Waddell. "We believe he has a bright future in the NHL, and we're thrilled that he has chosen to come to Carolina."

Priskie is the final member of the Class of 2019 to sign a professional contract, making it the first full class in program history to sign a contract following their four-year career with the Bobcats. He is also the seventh member of the 2018-19 team to sign a professional contract.

Priskie concluded a standout career for the Bobcats in 2018-19 after serving as the team's captain for two years. He finished as the program's all-time leader for goals by a defenseman with 39, was second among defensemen with 116 points and third among defensemen with 77 assists while his 154 games played are tied for 15th in program history.

As a senior, he earned All-ECAC Hockey First Team honors to complete a career sweep after earning All-Rookie honors as a freshman, third team as a sophomore and second team as a junior. Priskie was a Top 10 Finalist for the 2019 Hobey Baker Award as well as a Senior CLASS Award Second Team All-American, 2018-19 All-College Hockey News Second Team, 2018-19 All-New England Division I All-Star and was a finalist for the league's Best Defensive Defenseman Award.

Priskie led all defenseman in the nation with 17 goals in 2018-19 and ranked fifth with 39 points after adding 22 assists. He also earned NCAA Ice Hockey Statistical Champion honors with 10 power-play goals and led ECAC Hockey with 23 power-play points.

The Bobcats reached the NCAA National Championship game during Priskie's freshman year in which he earned ECAC Hockey All-Rookie team honors when he had four goals and 22 assists for 26 points.

Priskie added 26 points as a sophomore and 25 points as a junior before his career-best season in 2018-19.

For more offseason information on the Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team, visit gobobcats.com/mih and follow the team on Twitter and Instagram, @QU_MIH.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: [Signed] Hurricanes sign Chase Priskie to 2 yearr ELC

He didn’t want to sign in Washington and

Dobber Sports Pro

He chose Carolina who’s pretty strong at D. Interesting choice...
    I really don’t like this rule. Why can a 23 years old can chose his team? He’s not the first one to do so and that penalized the team that draft them( Hayes,Vesey,Schultz...)
    I hope they fix that in the next CBA

Administrator

They won't fix it because the players want as much freedom as possible and this one isn't exploited that frequently. Once the league and players settle on the more important issues the college/UFA stuff will be ignored.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    They won't fix it because the players want as much freedom as possible and this one isn't exploited that frequently. Once the league and players settle on the more important issues the college/UFA stuff will be ignored.
    I totally agree with your point but why these college players have this advantage over europeans and chl players? You’re probably right, they have much bigger problems to fix before getting to that point ! I just find it unfair for the teams, that’s it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dover View Post
    I totally agree with your point but why these college players have this advantage over europeans and chl players? You’re probably right, they have much bigger problems to fix before getting to that point ! I just find it unfair for the teams, that’s it.
    They don't. NCAA players are at the disadvantage if anything. You only see NCAA players go this route more often because of their inability to sign a contract until they've left school. Most European players have the same 4 year period to be signed and CHL players have 2 years and then they go back in the draft and start another 2 year window. So, basically Europeans, CHL, and NCAA players ALL have the same opportunity!

Teenagers who go the NCAA route immediately take on massive debt (there are no full-ride hockey scholarships, some may have additional academic scholarships to compliment athletic ones) and they are not permitted ANY compensation from NHL clubs. CHL and European players however can sign ELCs soon after being drafted and receive a nice signing bonus. They then may play in their respective leagues while under NHL contract until they are ready.

Every year people bitch and moan about a perceived NCAA loophole that doesn't exist mainly because they don't think of the players as people. Over 200 players were drafted 4 years ago and ONE goes the free-agency route (while still being held to ELC restrictions) and people lose their minds, declaring the CBA flawed. These poor multi-million dollar organizations are being taken advantage of. It's ridiculous.

You want a bad guy to lash out at in these situations? It's the NCAA, not the 23 year old choosing his own employer like the rest of us do, except he's still restricted to most of his employment terms by the CBA.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dover View Post
    The way teams can get around the problem is by turning guys pro sooner. Once you get past the two-year mark it gets muddier because from the prospect's POV there's unrestricted free agency within sight. BTW a CHL player could do the same if he never signs an ELC and gets drafted twice. After the second time if he still doesn't sign he's a UFA.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

I don’t blame the players. I would probably do the same. It’s just when a team wants to sign a player and he decline just because he wants to go elsewhere for x reasons.I’m pretty sure the Hawks wanted to sign Hayes, the Preds Vesey... and the compensation they get is pretty ridiculous. I know Adam Mascherin refused to sign with Florida and return to the draft 2 years later

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It takes two parties to agree to a contract. If you don't like the terms, whether it's money, work location, whatever, you don't have to sign a deal. Pro sports really does need a draft, but players also need an ability to get around it, and it needs to cost them some time/money to do so.

I really hate when it happens pre-draft, and players, their agents or families get douchey about only playing for X team. If there's only job you will take, time to find a new line of work, or go a route which gives you that option, like playing overseas.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.