Thread: Be Happy With What I Have, Or Push For More?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Be Happy With What I Have, Or Push For More?

Hey all, I've been a big reader of these forums for a while and finally created an account to hopefully start participating in the fun. A lot of good advice is given on these forums and I often feel it gives me a competitive advantage over my league counterparts.

I've been known to chase the new shiny toy and this year is no exception...

Currently I have the 3rd pick overall in the 1st round but am pondering if trying to move up in the draft is worth it, or if I should just leave things be.

If I were to keep the 3rd pick I'm leaning towards Turcotte, but you guessed it, with his performance at the summer showcase Caufield looks like a pretty good option as well.

If I were to attempt to move up in the draft, from the below players who do you think has comparable value to J.Hughes or Kakko that may be able to tempt another GM in to making a move? I definitely refuse to overpay (Kucherov/MacKinnon), but am also not the type to low ball.

Would moving a player like Eichel be something to consider? Kakko may end up with Panarin on his line so would that combination outweigh Eichel's pairing with Skinner? J.Hughes will surely have an opportunity to play with Hall, maybe not this year but in the future no doubt? Or would doing a move like this be pointless as it might end up being a trade of a 90pt player for a 90pt player... ugh...

I won the pool two years ago so I'm not necessarily chomping at the bit to win this upcoming season, but I've always got an eye out for the chance to improve my future.

Any thoughts?

-----------------------

20 Team Keeper League - Points Only
    Scoring Categories: G, A, PPG, SHG, W, SO
    15 Roster Spots (Which Includes 3 Reserve) + 5 Prospects
    Daily Active Roster Consisting Of: 8 FWD, 3 DEF, 1 G

Notable Players On Team:
    FWD: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Eichel, Pettersson, A.Svechnikov, Gusev, Mantha, Galchenyuk
    DEF: Heiskanen, Q.Hughes
    Prospects: Necas, Tolvanen, Kravtsov, Kaprizov, Heponiemi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Be Happy With What I Have, Or Push For More?

Honestly, I want to move down from pick 3, not up. Lots of similar guys, and you can gain picks or players that way.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Honestly, I want to move down from pick 3, not up. Lots of similar guys, and you can gain picks or players that way.
    I like this strategy, or just holding the 3rd. I don't see either Hughes or Kakko being any more productive than Eichel, and if they are it won't be by a lot and it won't be for a few years.

Looking at your roster, your forward corps is pretty solid - I think I'd be drafting Byram at 3.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

In a 20 team keeper league, your team is darn solid my friend!! I probably wouldn't trade Jack Eichel to move up.. You already know what you have going forward!! Turcotte or Byram for me!! Or if you can dangle that #3 pick and get something really nice, I might be tempted to go that route!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think it bears repeating: "I've been known to chase the shiny new toy..."

In this case, I would strongly advise against that. Be happy with guys like Turcotte, Byram and Caufield as your shiny new toys and hold on to Eichel who was one of the shiniest new toys just a few years ago and really hasn't disappointed. As we have seen in the past in respect to elite prospects, all the glitters is not gold.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf