Thread: League introducing a prospect draft.. tips?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default League introducing a prospect draft.. tips?

Hi my multicat roto league is introducing a prospect draft. Only players yet to play a NHL game are eligible to be drafted. They can be stashed away for free until they play their 10th NHL game, then must come onto our normal roster. Our noral roster has allowances for rookies (ie. you can keep a certain number of players under 150 games for free.)

So, Im trying to get some tips on how to deal with this draft. I think I'm looking for sure thing NHL players who are a few years away, someone I can stash away as they develop rather than someone who will be exposed to NHL sooner. And I'm definitely keen on more power forward types as my league rewards them (Hits, PIMs, Blocks, Takeaways)

I'm all over this years draft but I think Ill need to go back a year or 2 as well and find guys whos are yet to play a game yet.

Any tips on tactics, players or resources?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: League introducing a prospect draft.. tips?

Learn to read/interpret the prospect rankings here: https://dobberhockey.com/Table/Hocke...ckey-Rankings/ - as highest upside is NOT always ranked highest.

Also, don't use just July/August rankings - go back 6mths, a year, maybe further depending on the depth of your prospect draft to see where 'graduated' prospects were ranked to get a better feel of their potential

Create your own spreadsheet to rank players.

Also, going through the prospect page's archived articles you'll find fantasy draft rankings - they'll help you uncover some sleepers that went later in a draft - IE Dorofeyev #83 in NHL draft - routinely going 25-30 in fantasy drafts.

With regard to one of your above comments - don't get hung up on looking for Multi-cat prospects. hits, blocks those sort of things aren't really tracked until the NHL.
    Draft for offensive upside, hits blocks, PIMs are plentiful on the wire every year. You can find a 100PIM guy on the wire - but you won't find a Gaudreau.

The more time you put in researching - the better off you'll be.
    If you've fallen in love with a players prospect reports, upside, even highlight tape off Youtube - don't be afraid to be bold and take him early. I jumped on Bobby Brink at #17 overall in my last prospect draft (#33 NHL draft).

Piggy-backing my own comment on upside - ignore the logo on the jersey - draft for upside. Period.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Buy the guide. The guide is great.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

1. Make sure you know the rules. Does "no NHL games played" include playoff games? Makar's draft availability hinges on the answer to that question.

2. There are threads out here with prospect drafts posted, and at least one person is doing an average draft position calculation from the ones he gets here & elsewhere.

3. Generally draft forwards. Defensemen are harder to project, take longer, and generally are more role dependent. Golaies are somewhat of a crapshoot, but you'll probably want some of each.

4. More entry picks = more lottery tickets. There are no sure things, but there players with better chances. Once the draft gets late enough, the odds really are about the same. Don't be afraid to trade back, or to simply pick up an extra late pick as a throw in.

5. Very high entry picks = much better lottery tickets. The top few picks sometimes have enough hype that you can trade them for an actual producing player in a good situation.

6. Draft strength varies, so be aware of that when trading back a whole year.

7, Trading your own firsts, especially far in advance, can be bad. You can get stuck needing to rebuild, and not owning your own picks.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    1. Make sure you know the rules. Does "no NHL games played" include playoff games? Makar's draft availability hinges on the answer to that question.

2. There are threads out here with prospect drafts posted, and at least one person is doing an average draft position calculation from the ones he gets here & elsewhere.

3. Generally draft forwards. Defensemen are harder to project, take longer, and generally are more role dependent. Golaies are somewhat of a crapshoot, but you'll probably want some of each.

4. More entry picks = more lottery tickets. There are no sure things, but there players with better chances. Once the draft gets late enough, the odds really are about the same. Don't be afraid to trade back, or to simply pick up an extra late pick as a throw in.

5. Very high entry picks = much better lottery tickets. The top few picks sometimes have enough hype that you can trade them for an actual producing player in a good situation.

7, Trading your own firsts, especially far in advance, can be bad. You can get stuck needing to rebuild, and not owning your own picks.
    This is the same advice steve gave me a while back. It's very good advice, as is the input provided by luca. I set myself back big time by trading 1st round picks. Picks that could've been Matthews, Hirscher and Dahlin or Svechnikov. Best advice, besides buying the guide, would be to use these forums! There are a lot of people here with a wealth of knowledge that can help you out. If you get an offer or you want to make one, and you're not sure, ask here.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post

Many thanks. I will do my research and keep all this in mind!