Thread: new to Dobber and FHG, any pointers?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default new to Dobber and FHG, any pointers?

hi there! this is my first year using a draft kit and am looking for some advice

I play in a 10-man H2H categories league:
    G, A, PIM, SOG, PPP, SHP, HITS, BK, FOW, W, SO, SV%, GAA.
    2RW, 2C, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 4 Bench, 2 IR

My draft plan usually goes something like: top forward, top scoring defense, goalie, defense, forward, goalie, fill out forwards/defense and fill gaps where needed. In reality, it can be all over the place and I wing it as best as I can. My goal is to be balanced across all the categories and pick up people with reliable secondary stats. Someone like O'Reilly may streak in scoring categories, but he'll always be solid in face off wins.

Whats the best way to make use of the fantasy geek draft guru and fit their rankings in with your priorities? Are the FHG values reliable in comparing players? I'm not sure how its calculated, but i see some players ranked much higher than others even though they have comparable stats. Do they take positional scarcity into the equation? That would explain why a guy like brent burns is ranked at 7 and connor mcdavid is 14.

Other than that, do you have any advice for draft day?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: new to Dobber and FHG, any pointers?

in a H2H league, you have to win categories, whether you beat your opponent in Goals by 10 or by 1 goal, you win the category regardless.

the way i use FHG is that i like to draft guys who can provide in every category. when looking at FHG, you see some guys that are less popular but would be available later in draft. its all about balancing your team in H2H. Like i wrote above, you just need to beat your opponent in the category. So you want to have all the coverage available without being too good at one (no point beating your opponent in HITS by 100 hits).

I would take the best player available regardless in the first 3-4 rounds, or the best of the best in certain categories. McDavid in points, Evander Kane for PIMs, etc.

once you have drafted your first 3-4 players, then use FHG to compensate for missing statistics. So if you drafted Gaudreau, McDavid, Barkov, you obviously have Points and PPP covered but will be missing in HITS and PIM. So i would therefore try and draft a guy that provides HITS & PIM.
    Keep 6 - 14 team H2H Yahoo - Categories: G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG FW HIT BLK / GS W GAA SV% SHO
    C: T.Thompson, Aho
    LW: B.Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk
    RW:
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Mcavoy
    G:

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: new to Dobber and FHG, any pointers?

I like to group guys into tiers before the draft. As player start getting picked you can easily see ho is sliding and what players (types) are boing grabbed early. I like to follow the ebbs and flows of the draft and take the best player available. I also like to get my goalies earlier than later.

You league looks pretty shallow (depending on how many teams are in it) but you have lots of D spots to cover. I would be drafting D early and trying to snag at least 3 excellent Dmen and at least one all-star goalie who plays for a defensive-minded team.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"