Thread: League Trades

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default League Trades

I was wondering how trades are conducted in your league and how you or your commissioner makes sure trades are legit without taking away the fun from any GMs or allowing one GM to be taken advantage of?

Answers from people who have been commissioners for a long time would be great.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: League Trades

Always a hard question to answer. You need to first and foremost eliminate the possibility of collusion between 2 teams (where both teams make a trade just to boost one team) as collusion is horrible and ruins leagues. Second, you need to walk the fine line between having the ability to veto trades which are not collusion but so lopsided they still ruin the league while still allowing better GMs the chance to "win" trades and let all GMs run their own teams as they see fit (after all in hindsite "bad trades" occasionally see the loser win the trade).

First, I will say the easiest way to avoid issues in your league is to have a good set of GMs who are on the same page with regards to the above, league rules, a decent understanding of fantasy hockey scoring and overall ethical people. If you can manage to get that then most of the most blatant issues will be avoided.

Next, you need a clear set of rules on how trades are reviewed, potentially vetoed and vetoed;. The rules should both lay out the process of vetoing and a brief explanation as to why vetoing may be necessary and what aspects an individual should consider and review before voting for a veto. By laying out both the process (2/3 majority to veto) and the reasoning ("Don't just veto a trade because you do not like it or it makes your opponent better") you can avoid a lot of confusion.

In my league, the process is as follows:
    1. All trades are announced via the website/app once made.
    2. Any GM request a veto vote of any trade, when requesting the vote the GM has to go on record with his reasons for requesting the veto.
    3. The requesting GM has 24 hours to get a 2nd GM to 2nd his request for a veto vote, the 2nd GM is on record as being the seconder and can add any additional reasons.
    4. If a 2nd occurs the 10 non-trading teams vote to veto or not. It takes 7 veto votes (out of 10) to veto a trade.
    5. If the trade is vetoed all compensation is reverted to the original team, if not the trade passes.

Back to my first point, my league is made up of 12 teams who are all trying to win and none of whom I have ever worried will try and pull a straight collusion trade. There has never been a trade in my league that I actually thought was collusion. There have been a few trades over the years that appeared lopsided which lead to a few heated discussions and veto votes; however a trade has never been vetoed.

Personally, when I'm asked to vote on a veto I ask 2 questions:
    1. Do I have any reason to believe this is actual collusion? (I never had in my league)
    2. Is this trade so lopsided that its unfair and throws off the power balance of the league?
    3. If yes to 2, Can I legitimately understand why the "losing" GM made the trade? I don't have to agree with the player rankings, or the trade, or think he did well. All I have to be able to do is say "I understand his thought process". Sometimes that requires giving credit for lofty (but possible) projections for one or more players but that's part of fantasy hockey.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Icon

I've been a commish in multiple dynasty/keepers for many years and I have never vetoed a trade (all the leagues are commish's veto only). I have had to put through some seriously terrible deals, and have come close a few times.

Luckily every league is long running (at least a decade, one if them in it's 20th season) and I have a core of long time veteran GMs in each of them. I ask for their advice/ thoughts often, including those few times I was leery of putting a deal through. Very good to have other opinions that you trust.

I also make it clear that any GM can raise an objection and it will be openly discussed if necessary. But ultimately it comes down to my call. I've pissed off more than a couple of GMs by putting deals through despite the objections, but it's always 1-3 people out of 16 or 20 guys, I've never had any more than that, and it was maybe 3 times in something like 40+ total seasons managed across 5 leagues (a few I've run a decade plus, a couple only 5 or 6 years).

With new GMs I usually tell them to ask my advice on deals first (unless I know them or it's pretty obvious they know their stuff), and I give them the best advice I can for their team. I've advised against making a few deals with rookies, sometimes they ignore me, sometimes not - but I let them make mistakes and hopefully learn from it. Some do...but some don't. Often it comes down to clarifying the rules.

I've had to shop some dynasty league teams that were absolute disasters, but I've also seen some GMs go from rookie to the top of the league over a few years.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thank-you both for your input this is exactly what I was looking for and I will use it for many seasons in the future. I gave you both rep and will say thanks again as this will be extremely helpful to me personally.

Dobber Sports Master

If a commish has the pulse of the league he should have an idea if certain teams are rebuilding , tweaking , going all in etc.. etc.. which could all be taken into consideration when reviewing deals .

Dobber Sports Icon

I forgot to add that it's a good idea to screen new GM's fairly well on their hockey knowledge. Maybe even give them a trade scenario or two and ask their opinions on them. You can prevent future situations by getting the right GM's for the league.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Another great suggestion, that would be an awesome type of question to use.