Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with Keepers

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Need some help with Keepers

As the title suggests, I need a little advice for my keeper situation.

I'm in an 11 team roto league stats are G, A, PPP, +/-, PIMS, Hits, Blks. Goalie stats are W, SV%, GAA.

We get 5 keepers every year, possibly 6 this year.

Of my players, the following are who I would consider keeper-worthy:

Kucherov
    Gaudreau
    Eichel
    Aho
    Tavares
    Laine
    B. Tkachuk
    Murray (G)

I'm leaning towards keeping only skaters this year, as there are usually a couple good goalie options at the start of the draft every year.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Need some help with Keepers

Kuch
    Gaudreau
    Eichel
    Aho
    Tavares
    Laine

LOL at first I thought you had Matthew Tkachuk; would have said him but not Brady.

Big Daddy

That’s a good looking team.

Kucherov
    Gaudreau
    Tavares
    Aho
    Eichel
    ————
    Laine (if you keep 6)

Dobber Sports Ace

Kucherov, Gaudreau, Tavares, Aho, Murray (Eichel if you're only keeping skaters, both if you get 6). I don't see how you can lose with those (value wise), I like Tkachuk and Laine, but you've got one in a dangerous team situation that could hurt some cats and the other coming off a down year with less data set to make an accurate prediction from. Definitely smarter to go with the guarantees in my opinion.

Edit: I'm assuming that you're not the only one who will be looking for a goalie, so I think it's wiser to keep one and not count on getting two.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Jedi

Kucherov
    Gaudreau
    Tavares
    Aho
    Eichel

I'll take Tkachuk if you keep 6. He's going to be as good or better than big bro
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks for all the input!

With regards to the goalies at the draft, the trend over the past few years is more and more of them are not being kept. For instance, this year Bob, Jones, Rinne, Bishop, Lehner, Greiss, Raanta & Elliott were all available from the get go. I managed to pick up Greiss and Lehner of waivers in January which basically won me the league this year.

I'm really just having second thoughts on whether or not to keep Laine. Sure, he had a bad year, but there is so much potential with him, especially if he ever got a chance to play on the top line with Scheifele.

I'm going to try and convince our league manager to push it to 6 keepers. We had a temporary league manager last year (a day or two) who put a poll up regarding the keeper numbers and everybody voted to bump it up to 6.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by PocketDogs View Post

With regards to the goalies at the draft, the trend over the past few years is more and more of them are not being kept. For instance, this year Bob, Jones, Rinne, Bishop, Lehner, Greiss, Raanta & Elliott were all available from the get go. I managed to pick up Greiss and Lehner of waivers in January which basically won me the league this year.

I'm really just having second thoughts on whether or not to keep Laine. Sure, he had a bad year, but there is so much potential with him, especially if he ever got a chance to play on the top line with Scheifele.

I'm going to try and convince our league manager to push it to 6 keepers. We had a temporary league manager last year (a day or two) who put a poll up regarding the keeper numbers and everybody voted to bump it up to 6.
    The league has spoken... The Commish should simply implement the leagues will

Dobber Sports Wizard

i think i like them the way you have them ranked.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Big Daddy

All the more reason to not waste a keeper slot on Murray. All you have to do now is convince the new commissioner to increase keepers to 6 and select Laine. I’m a big believer that he is going to have a really nice bounce back year.

Dobber Sports Newbie

I'll bring it up closer to our keeper deadline date, he'll probably put it up for a vote again and stick with it.

I would love to keep Laine, he might have had a bad year, but you know he's going to be a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully he'll follow in Ovechkin's footsteps and start using his body a bit more too. The kid is 6'5", once he bulks up a bit he'll be a beast with a laser-like shot.

Dobber Sports Ace

Playing devil's advocate, while your keepers are all studs, they don't do too much for you in three cats... Hits/PIM will be Brady's bread and butter - plus you know he can score too (and evidently by himself).

If you can't keep him, be sure to draft him or his brother... his PIM should peak this year or next since playing for the Sens right now could make Datsyuk start popping misconducts!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, while your keepers are all studs, they don't do too much for you in three cats
    This might sound crazy, but I've used a tactic at the draft that has given me my best seasons in the league (two 2nd place finishes, one win this past year). I don't use earlier picks for defence, I generally wait until the last 9 rounds or so and just pick guys that rack up hits, blks and pims; Borowiecki, Cole, Zadorov, Hagg, Gudas, Ristolainen. I did manage to get Ristolainen in the 14th and Petry in the final round, which I was very happy about.

While others are picking/keeping elite defencemen, I'm just picking/keeping high(ish) scoring players. In the same round people were going for Subban, Doughty, Letang and the like, I grabbed Aho, Eichel & Teravainen. Most of the defencemen that get close to point-per-game territory are selected as keepers, so I figure I might as well go for the forwards who are going to get 70+ points then start grabbing defencemen that will lead their position in hits/blks/pims in the last 9 rounds or so. This year I ended up leading in goals, ppp, hits, pims, and came second in assists and blks; my goalie stats were luckily saved by Lehner and Greiss in the second half of the season.

Brady Tkachuk will be someone I could probably redraft in the 9th or 10th round at the earliest, 14th at the latest. A lot of guys in my league are scared off by negative +/-'s so they will stay away from him for a little while. He will be like my new Kyle Palmieri, I can always get him in the 12th or 13th round, he puts up a decent amount of points for games played and gets his fair share of hits/pims/blks as well.

Dobber Sports Jedi

This might sound crazy, but I've used a tactic at the draft that has given me my best seasons in the league (two 2nd place finishes, one win this past year). I don't use earlier picks for defence, I generally wait until the last 9 rounds or so and just pick guys that rack up hits, blks and pims; Borowiecki, Cole, Zadorov, Hagg, Gudas, Ristolainen. I did manage to get Ristolainen in the 14th and Petry in the final round, which I was very happy about.

While others are picking/keeping elite defencemen, I'm just picking/keeping high(ish) scoring players. In the same round people were going for Subban, Doughty, Letang and the like, I grabbed Aho, Eichel & Teravainen. Most of the defencemen that get close to point-per-game territory are selected as keepers, so I figure I might as well go for the forwards who are going to get 70+ points then start grabbing defencemen that will lead their position in hits/blks/pims in the last 9 rounds or so. This year I ended up leading in goals, ppp, hits, pims, and came second in assists and blks; my goalie stats were luckily saved by Lehner and Greiss in the second half of the season.

Brady Tkachuk will be someone I could probably redraft in the 9th or 10th round at the earliest, 14th at the latest. A lot of guys in my league are scared off by negative +/-'s so they will stay away from him for a little while. He will be like my new Kyle Palmieri, I can always get him in the 12th or 13th round, he puts up a decent amount of points for games played and gets his fair share of hits/pims/blks as well.
    This is going to be my strategy in my 1yr drafts. 'truculence' on the back end with Petry falling in my lap yet again (#norespect).
    If they get scared off by +/- Ristolainen could be a last round sleeper - 41

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    This is going to be my strategy in my 1yr drafts. 'truculence' on the back end with Petry falling in my lap yet again (#norespect).
    If they get scared off by +/- Ristolainen could be a last round sleeper - 41
    I highly recommend it, it has worked out well whenever I have tried it.

For all I know Risto could have stuck around a bit longer, but with those hits/blks and first power play minutes, I was more than happy to take him when I did. I was hoping Kucherov's +/- would counter Risto's, but I still came second last in the +/- category.

Dobber Sports Ace

Interesting... I like it!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)