Thread: Ivan Provorov vs. Shea Theodore

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Ivan Provorov vs. Shea Theodore

trying to figure out who to keep. Provorov had a crap season last year but the year before he was one of the top ranked D-men in our format (scoring in sig). Theodore I feel might be ready to burst out. Who do you guys prefer?
    12 team H2H keeper league. Scoring: G, A, +/-, Hits, Blocked shots, PPP, SOG, GWG Goalie categories W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    Keep 13 players and 6 Farm players must be under 24 and played less then 100 NHL career games. If under 24 but played over 100 games they cannot stay on farm but do not have to be protected in off season.
    C: E. Malkin, R. Hartman, M. Zibanejad , J. Eriksson Ek M. Frost
    LW: C. Keller, R.Thomas A. Kempe
    RW: P.Kane, V.Tarasenko T. Bertuzzi
    D: K.Letang, A. Fox, M. Rielly, S. Theodore
    G: [/B], I.Shesterkin, F.Andersen, J. Oettinger

Farm: T. Foerster, A. Holtz, B. Clarke, Tyler Boucher, Lukas Dostal, Mavrik Bourque

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Ivan Provorov vs. Shea Theodore

I like Theodore to get more points this year, but Provorov is better at contributing with those peripheral categories. I think Theodore's points totals will jump though - to the point where I think I would have him slightly ahead. Could go either way this year, but I feel like Theodore has better opportunities in Vegas.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Tough call here. Provorov still doesn't have a contract... so that is an additional risk to keeping him. As pmorrow mentioned Provorov might lack in points to Theodore, but will get more cross category coverage. So I guess it depends what your other Keepers provide in category coverage. Do you need more scoring... or need more cross-category coverage.

There might also be some risk (or so I have read somewhere) that Jimmy Schuldt might steal some key PP time from Theodore. Don't remember where I read it or if there is any reliability to it.. but if it does happen it brings Theodore's stock down.

The Great One

I have no doubt that Theodore is primed for an offensive breakout, and will almost certainly get close to 50 pts next year, including probably 20ish PPP. He will also easily outproduce Provorov in SOGs and likely +/-.

I think what was lost in last year's disappointing season was the emergence of Sanheim who quite effectively handled secondary PP time. I don't see that changing, so I don't think Provorov will get back to being a 40+ pt producer. And without getting over 40 pts, I don't think Provorov's main contributions (HITs and Blocks) are enough to convince me to keep him over Theodore. I'd personally go with Theodore and find some HITs and Blocks with some more fringe-type dmen with your late picks in the draft.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ace

I go with Theodore here simply on probability. I think his situation is much more predictable than Provorov's, unless you think the aformentioned Schuldt is going to be an issue (I don't think so fwiw). Provorov though not only doesn't have a contract but Philly has a logjam of dmen looking to get a piece of those limited minutes they have to go around. Several of those guys are rookies or have less than a seasons worth of games so it's likely they'll get sheltered deployments while Prov is expected to handle the responsibility on the other end more often. I don't expect Provorov to return to the 2018 form until he finds a new situation or Ghost does.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Rookie

Provorov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I prefer Provorov as a real life defenseman, but the Flyers are being run much less competently than the Golden Knights right now, and Provorov's situation is in flux.

If he's still with the Flyers at the start of the year, and has no contract, that's a problem. However, I think he's more likely to be dealt than have that happen, and a new situation may be better for him, but it's hard to know.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Generally speaking, I like my D to get my dirty cats and my forwards to do the offense. If I can get a forward who does both, thats a win; the same for my D. I think Provorov has enough offense in him to make him the right choice for me here.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the feed back everyone! I really appreciate it. Still torn but I think I'm gonna let Provorov walk and try and redraft him and see if theodore puts it all together this year. Thanks again.
    12 team H2H keeper league. Scoring: G, A, +/-, Hits, Blocked shots, PPP, SOG, GWG Goalie categories W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    Keep 13 players and 6 Farm players must be under 24 and played less then 100 NHL career games. If under 24 but played over 100 games they cannot stay on farm but do not have to be protected in off season.
    C: E. Malkin, R. Hartman, M. Zibanejad , J. Eriksson Ek M. Frost
    LW: C. Keller, R.Thomas A. Kempe
    RW: P.Kane, V.Tarasenko T. Bertuzzi
    D: K.Letang, A. Fox, M. Rielly, S. Theodore
    G: [/B], I.Shesterkin, F.Andersen, J. Oettinger

Farm: T. Foerster, A. Holtz, B. Clarke, Tyler Boucher, Lukas Dostal, Mavrik Bourque