Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

  1. #1
    Location
    Comox, BC
    Rep Power
    8

    Dobber Sports Initiate

    Default Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Gents, this is related to my last thread "potential over opportunities" where some mentioned that trading a 3rd for multiple later picks may be an option. I don't have a 3rd this year but I've got a 2nd, which is 22nd overall. Should I look at trading that for possibly a 3rd and 4th round pick? Or should I just keep the 2nd rounder? Thanks again to everyone who offered advice on my previous thread.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No positional requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies get 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 5 year protection. No limit. Must be called up or dropped after. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted players go on waiver wire.

    Skaters:
    Lehkonen, Hronek, Texier, Joseph, Bennett, Bemstrom, Hirose, Pulock, Kaprizov, Jankowski, Batherson, Donato, Kubalik, Dvorak, Terry, Subban, Bjorkstrand, Blais.

    Goalies:
    Shestyorkin, Demko, Georgiev

    Minors: Liljegren, Caufield, Yamamoto, Beaucage, Nikkanen, Konovalov, Puistola, Tieksola, Beckman.

  2. #2
    lucafen4's Avatar
    lucafen4 is online now
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    16,302
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    My answer.... it depends (heh)

    I'd want to know - 25-36th & 37-48 - what are the actual picks?

    Other thing I'm curious to know, last year - how close to the actual 2018 draft did teams actually draft?

    I ask this because if they stick very close to the real NHL draft - then the high end players that slid in the draft will be available - Brink, N. Robertson, Kaliev, Dorofeyev, Honka etc.
    If that's the case - then I want a lot of 3rd/4th round picks.
    If the 3rd is in the 25-31 range - I drop back without blinking. Odds are you can get someone you wanted at 22 in that range anyway.

    I have one pool that I'll trade my 3rd for for 2 4ths every year for this exact reason.
    It also opens up to grab breakout players that were missed in last years draft or just not on radars - , Hirose, Schuldt, chmelevski
    or UFA's that crossed the pond - Prokhorkin, Mikheyev, Kaski
    Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why. - H.S.T.

  3. #3
    Location
    Comox, BC
    Rep Power
    8

    Dobber Sports Initiate

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    My answer.... it depends (heh)

    I'd want to know - 25-36th & 37-48 - what are the actual picks?

    Other thing I'm curious to know, last year - how close to the actual 2018 draft did teams actually draft?

    I ask this because if they stick very close to the real NHL draft - then the high end players that slid in the draft will be available - Brink, N. Robertson, Kaliev, Dorofeyev, Honka etc.
    If that's the case - then I want a lot of 3rd/4th round picks.
    If the 3rd is in the 25-31 range - I drop back without blinking. Odds are you can get someone you wanted at 22 in that range anyway.

    I have one pool that I'll trade my 3rd for for 2 4ths every year for this exact reason.
    It also opens up to grab breakout players that were missed in last years draft or just not on radars - , Hirose, Schuldt, chmelevski
    or UFA's that crossed the pond - Prokhorkin, Mikheyev, Kaski
    I'd look at acquiring the 25th and 31st if possible. So a 2nd for 2 3rds. If not, possibly the 27th and 46th. So a 3rd and 4th.

    When we do our rookie draft, we stick relatively close to the actual NHL draft. Exceptions are D prospects as they usually fall down the rankings. Dahlin was picked 2nd behind Svechnikov last year. Byram may fall but probably will be picked in the 10-12 range.

    - - - Updated - - -

    So forwards are a priority when we do our draft.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No positional requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies get 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 5 year protection. No limit. Must be called up or dropped after. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted players go on waiver wire.

    Skaters:
    Lehkonen, Hronek, Texier, Joseph, Bennett, Bemstrom, Hirose, Pulock, Kaprizov, Jankowski, Batherson, Donato, Kubalik, Dvorak, Terry, Subban, Bjorkstrand, Blais.

    Goalies:
    Shestyorkin, Demko, Georgiev

    Minors: Liljegren, Caufield, Yamamoto, Beaucage, Nikkanen, Konovalov, Puistola, Tieksola, Beckman.

  4. #4
    lucafen4's Avatar
    lucafen4 is online now
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    16,302
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    I'd look at acquiring the 25th and 31st if possible. So a 2nd for 2 3rds. If not, possibly the 27th and 46th. So a 3rd and 4th.

    When we do our rookie draft, we stick relatively close to the actual NHL draft. Exceptions are D prospects as they usually fall down the rankings. Dahlin was picked 2nd behind Svechnikov last year. Byram may fall but probably will be picked in the 10-12 range.

    - - - Updated - - -

    So forwards are a priority when we do our draft.
    I don't know if you'll get a 2nd 3rd for the OGM moving up 3 spots.. that grouping in there is all over the map in terms of draft position.
    I'd take either of those trades.
    If you look at some of Cam Robinson's pre-draft mockdrafts - several of the players that went in the 2nd round were in his 1st round. -- including Dorofeyev who went mid/late 3rd round.
    Some mega value available in later picks.

    Knowing how the others draft is something you can exploit.

    If you can get either deal.. I'd again look to trade down for an extra pick. With unlimited taxi-space -- "max" it...
    Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why. - H.S.T.

  5. #5
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Samurai

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Another question to consider is the size of your minors roster... and what your current minors roster looks like.

    Example if you have a minors roster of 10 minors and already have 9 good minors prospects... then you want to keep the quality... but if you only have 6 good minors and a minors roster of 10... you probably want to go quantity.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



  6. #6
    lucafen4's Avatar
    lucafen4 is online now
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    16,302
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Another question to consider is the size of your minors roster... and what your current minors roster looks like.

    Example if you have a minors roster of 10 minors and already have 9 good minors prospects... then you want to keep the quality... but if you only have 6 good minors and a minors roster of 10... you probably want to go quantity.
    his is unlimited and he's essentially depleted.
    Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why. - H.S.T.

  7. #7
    Location
    Comox, BC
    Rep Power
    8

    Dobber Sports Initiate

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Another question to consider is the size of your minors roster... and what your current minors roster looks like.

    Example if you have a minors roster of 10 minors and already have 9 good minors prospects... then you want to keep the quality... but if you only have 6 good minors and a minors roster of 10... you probably want to go quantity.
    There is no limit to how many rookies I can have on our taxi squad. I mentioned in my last thread that one GM has close to 40, I think haha! We call him a hoarder but he's got some real good prospects so he's on to something.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No positional requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies get 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 5 year protection. No limit. Must be called up or dropped after. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted players go on waiver wire.

    Skaters:
    Lehkonen, Hronek, Texier, Joseph, Bennett, Bemstrom, Hirose, Pulock, Kaprizov, Jankowski, Batherson, Donato, Kubalik, Dvorak, Terry, Subban, Bjorkstrand, Blais.

    Goalies:
    Shestyorkin, Demko, Georgiev

    Minors: Liljegren, Caufield, Yamamoto, Beaucage, Nikkanen, Konovalov, Puistola, Tieksola, Beckman.

  8. #8
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Rep Power
    14

    Dobber Sports Prodigy

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Can you only add players to the taxi squad using draft picks? Or are you able to grab players in-season as FAs?
    Hometown Hosers (20 team H2H Keeper - Daily)
     
    (15-man active roster: 3C/3RW/3LW/4D/1Util/1G/7BN)
    (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPP,BLK / W,GAA,SV%,SO)

    C: Kopitar, Zibanejad, E.Staal
    RW: Laine, Lindholm, Tatar
    LW: Granlund, B.Schenn, Fiala
    D: Hamilton, Trouba, Yandle, Nurse
    Util: McCann
    G: Mrazek

    BN: Watson, N.Ritchie, Malgin, Myers, Montour, Ullmark, Francouz

    8 keepers in bold


  9. #9
    Location
    Comox, BC
    Rep Power
    8

    Dobber Sports Initiate

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Quote Originally Posted by jer_33 View Post
    Can you only add players to the taxi squad using draft picks? Or are you able to grab players in-season as FAs?
    Only players taken in our yearly entry draft can go on to the taxi squad. Any player not drafted, goes on to the waiver wire. We do a waiver draft 3 times a year and players taken off that list must go on to our main roster.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No positional requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies get 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 5 year protection. No limit. Must be called up or dropped after. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted players go on waiver wire.

    Skaters:
    Lehkonen, Hronek, Texier, Joseph, Bennett, Bemstrom, Hirose, Pulock, Kaprizov, Jankowski, Batherson, Donato, Kubalik, Dvorak, Terry, Subban, Bjorkstrand, Blais.

    Goalies:
    Shestyorkin, Demko, Georgiev

    Minors: Liljegren, Caufield, Yamamoto, Beaucage, Nikkanen, Konovalov, Puistola, Tieksola, Beckman.

  10. #10
    mounD's Avatar
    mounD is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8,483
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Giant

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    22 seems like a great spot to try and trade down, adding a later pick, but I wouldn't expect a lot of action because this draft has a lot of similar upside players in that range.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

    10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

    C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

    Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

  11. #11
    stevegamer's Avatar
    stevegamer is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,226
    Location
    Philadelphia area
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Superstar

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    I'd definitely trade back. I think I'm one of the guys who suggested that in the other thread, but you have unlimited minors space, and almost nobody there.
    10 team Head-to-head true dynasty. Roster 33, draft 2, cut down before season. Start 1 G, 1 backup G, 6 D, 12 F arranged in 4 lines of 3. Only categories that matter are Goals, Assists, Save% with a shutout bonus. Having NHL teammates helps.

    G: Bobrovsky
    Backup G: F Andersen
    D: Ekblad, Yandle, M Reilly, Carlson, Letang, Makar
    F1: Couturier, Giroux, JT Miller
    F2: Schiefele, Wheeler, MacKinnon
    F3: Stamkos, Point, Guentzel
    F4: Bertuzzi, Tavares, Seguin

    Bench:
    G:
    D: Barrie, Heiskanen, Klingberg, Morissey, Weegar
    F: Bailey, Benn, Johnsson, Labanc, Mikheyev, Necas, Pavelski, Voracek
    Reserve: Datsyuk

  12. #12
    Location
    Comox, BC
    Rep Power
    8

    Dobber Sports Initiate

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Both GMs rejected my offers. Thinking I'll stand pat with the picks I have now. I'm getting two out of the 3 best players from the draft and still have 4 decent picks. Much better than what I've had in previous years. Thanks everyone for the advice. I've rep'd you all too much already but will return the favor at a later time.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No positional requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies get 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 5 year protection. No limit. Must be called up or dropped after. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted players go on waiver wire.

    Skaters:
    Lehkonen, Hronek, Texier, Joseph, Bennett, Bemstrom, Hirose, Pulock, Kaprizov, Jankowski, Batherson, Donato, Kubalik, Dvorak, Terry, Subban, Bjorkstrand, Blais.

    Goalies:
    Shestyorkin, Demko, Georgiev

    Minors: Liljegren, Caufield, Yamamoto, Beaucage, Nikkanen, Konovalov, Puistola, Tieksola, Beckman.

  13. #13
    lucafen4's Avatar
    lucafen4 is online now
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    16,302
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    If there's time during the draft when your pick comes up... take said time and put it on the market...
    People get a drafting itch. They want to move and shake it up... You might find some action in the moment.
    I'd be fine dropping further down if it were a 3-1 pick move too... someone might have 3 later picks. and prefer one higher one.
    If you do your research - dobber prospect guide - a good source - then you should be able to grab serious value. There's always fallers in fantasy drafts too that you can nab.
    Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why. - H.S.T.

  14. #14
    mounD's Avatar
    mounD is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8,483
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Giant

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    If there's time during the draft when your pick comes up... take said time and put it on the market...
    People get a drafting itch. They want to move and shake it up... You might find some action in the moment.
    I'd be fine dropping further down if it were a 3-1 pick move too... someone might have 3 later picks. and prefer one higher one.
    If you do your research - dobber prospect guide - a good source - then you should be able to grab serious value. There's always fallers in fantasy drafts too that you can nab.
    Especially in a league where there isn't really traditional "Free Agency" with unclaimed players, this is great advice. The yearly drafts are very important, and with your farm squad rather depleted you want to add as many picks as possible, and add as many lottery tickets as you can. Pretend you are Kyle Dubas, and just trade back every chance you get. Take the time during the draft to converse with your fellow managers, and dangle your picks in potential offers. Luca is right, folks get the itch when it's drafting time and want to move up, even if it's not in their best interests. Take advantage.

    One thing I will say that is not specifically hockey-related, but is relevant for being in competitive fantasy leagues: try to be everyone's friend. I know this sounds like obvious advice, but your close relationships with other GMs can be very advantageous in your rebuild. You will not only have a much easier time negotiating with trade partners, but if you are friendly enough, you may even get guys doing you favors. Additionally, you'll get all the gossip and insider knowledge (who's interested in whom?) through the league grapevine. You definitely want to be connected. It's like many other professions: networking is vitally important. Just be careful about it. You want other guys to be the sucker, not you.

    Some examples include: (1) remembering your fellow GM's birthdays; (2) keeping track of vital information they share with you (including which players they like, etc.); (3) use self-deprecating humor, people love that stuff. It shows you have a sense of humor and you don't take yourself too seriously; (4)ALWAYS be helpful if you can, offer advice and consolation if you are able; and (5) if all else fails you can try kissing ass, but don't be too obvious about it. Nobody likes a brown noser.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

    10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

    C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

    Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

  15. #15
    Location
    Comox, BC
    Rep Power
    8

    Dobber Sports Initiate

    Default Re: Should I trade the 22nd overall pick for later picks

    Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Especially in a league where there isn't really traditional "Free Agency" with unclaimed players, this is great advice. The yearly drafts are very important, and with your farm squad rather depleted you want to add as many picks as possible, and add as many lottery tickets as you can. Pretend you are Kyle Dubas, and just trade back every chance you get. Take the time during the draft to converse with your fellow managers, and dangle your picks in potential offers. Luca is right, folks get the itch when it's drafting time and want to move up, even if it's not in their best interests. Take advantage.

    One thing I will say that is not specifically hockey-related, but is relevant for being in competitive fantasy leagues: try to be everyone's friend. I know this sounds like obvious advice, but your close relationships with other GMs can be very advantageous in your rebuild. You will not only have a much easier time negotiating with trade partners, but if you are friendly enough, you may even get guys doing you favors. Additionally, you'll get all the gossip and insider knowledge (who's interested in whom?) through the league grapevine. You definitely want to be connected. It's like many other professions: networking is vitally important. Just be careful about it. You want other guys to be the sucker, not you.

    Some examples include: (1) remembering your fellow GM's birthdays; (2) keeping track of vital information they share with you (including which players they like, etc.); (3) use self-deprecating humor, people love that stuff. It shows you have a sense of humor and you don't take yourself too seriously; (4)ALWAYS be helpful if you can, offer advice and consolation if you are able; and (5) if all else fails you can try kissing ass, but don't be too obvious about it. Nobody likes a brown noser.
    Funny you mention this as everyone in our pool has known each other for years. We are either family (cousins and uncles,) or very close family friends. I've never been one to shy away from poking fun at myself. Especially after some of the stupid trades I've made. We are all very good at using humor to keep the trade lines open. I'll keep it in mind to try and dangle a pick when my turn comes up. Worst case, I'll have Liljegren and 6 more prospects to fill my minors this year. I've also got all my picks for next year which at worst will add 5 more, including a lottery pick.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No positional requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies get 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 5 year protection. No limit. Must be called up or dropped after. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted players go on waiver wire.

    Skaters:
    Lehkonen, Hronek, Texier, Joseph, Bennett, Bemstrom, Hirose, Pulock, Kaprizov, Jankowski, Batherson, Donato, Kubalik, Dvorak, Terry, Subban, Bjorkstrand, Blais.

    Goalies:
    Shestyorkin, Demko, Georgiev

    Minors: Liljegren, Caufield, Yamamoto, Beaucage, Nikkanen, Konovalov, Puistola, Tieksola, Beckman.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •