Thread: Bowen Byram vs Cale Makar

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Bowen Byram vs Cale Makar

Just wanted to get some thoughts on drafting Byram while already owning Makar. I got the 6th pick in my leagues draft and Dmen don’t produce as much as forwards in our league setup. League heavily favors offense and only about 8-10 Dmen finish in the top 100 skaters. Is Byrams offense simply too good to pass on? Especially while also owning Makar, or should I look for a forward like Caufield or Zegras at this spot instead?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Bowen Byram vs Cale Makar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNYUPS View Post
    Just wanted to get some thoughts on drafting Byram while already owning Makar. I got the 6th pick in my leagues draft and Dmen don’t produce as much as forwards in our league setup. League heavily favors offense and only about 8-10 Dmen finish in the top 100 skaters. Is Byrams offense simply too good to pass on? Especially while also owning Makar, or should I look for a forward like Caufield or Zegras at this spot instead?
    Think you answered your own question
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

Which do you think is more likely to happen:

Bowen Byram becomes a top 10 dmen in the league or (Caufield/Zegras/etc) become a top 90 forward?

I think option one is more like than option two so I would draft Byram if he's still available at 6. I would be taking him at 3 if I was drafting that high.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I don't see either of them playing in the NHL this upcoming season, so this comes down to long-term upside for the most part. I think Byram will be held back a bit because he's stuck behind Makar and likely only getting 2nd PP unit time. Caufield could become the best offensive player in Montreal, so I would go with him - especially if there's any kind of bonus for goals.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I don't see either of them playing in the NHL this upcoming season, so this comes down to long-term upside for the most part. I think Byram will be held back a bit because he's stuck behind Makar and likely only getting 2nd PP unit time. Caufield could become the best offensive player in Montreal, so I would go with him - especially if there's any kind of bonus for goals.
    The way Makar played for Colorado in the playoffs... I don't see how he doesn't play in the NHL this season.

The Great One

I'd choose Caufield.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    The way Makar played for Colorado in the playoffs... I don't see how he doesn't play in the NHL this season.
    I think he means that neither Byram nor Caufield will be in the NHL next year.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I'd choose Caufield.

- - - Updated - - -

That would make much more sense.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Correct. Makar will definitely play in the NHL this season. In my head, it seemed obvious what I meant because Caufield was the only real option besides Byram but I guess it wasn't all that obvious now that I read it again.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks guys. Leaning towards going with a forward.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd definitely go with a forward given what you said about the scoring, and what little I know about your team depth chart.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.