Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy hockey forum - re-structure suggestion

The Wolverine

Default Fantasy hockey forum - re-structure suggestion

As we're getting closer to the season the number of threads created will drastically increase. And with this increase, something I've noticed in recent years is the number of threads going into the wrong sub-forum, mainly because there isn't an appropriate thread for it or confusion from the OP. For example, someone has a general keeper league question about their team, but it doesn't relate specifically to forwards, defensemen or trades. So they lump it into one of them, or into the one year section.

I find having 4 keeper sub-forums and 1 one year sub-forum is unbalanced, even though there are more keeper questions. Having separate threads for keeper forwards and defensemen is a bit much and also restrictive, if managers have questions relating to both positions. You also see some duplicate threads in, for example, one in forwards and one in trades if it relates to a forward trade.

Also, there are still plenty of one-year questions and they all get lumped into one thread, even though they can relate to many different things.

Finally, I've wondered why salary cap is just for keepers, can't you have a one year cap league? Auctions might fit in there as well.

So, here's my proposal for the fantasy hockey sub-forum re-structure:

• Keeper League - Player/Team Talk
    • Keeper League - Trade Talk
    • One Year League - Player/Team Talk
    • One Year League - Trade Talk
    • Salary Cap / Auction League (this would include keeper and one year leagues)
      *edit: not sure if auction needs highlighted?
    • Goalies (same as now, seems to work well)
    • (and the rest the same)

I feel this would make things more balanced and more easily identifiable when members are creating new threads.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by horrorfan; November 11, 2020 at 8:25 AM.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Fantasy hockey forum - re-structure suggestion

Some good ideas here, horrorfan. I have come to learn that Dobber and his staff are very open minded, and if the groundswell support is there, than it is likely to be considered and changed appropriately.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Veteran

I more or less exclusively use the 'Latest Posts' function but horrorfan's ideas are all solid and may help clean things up a bit.

Also, the only cap leagues I've played have been one-year leagues so he has a point there.

Dobber Sports Stud

Good suggestion horrorfan.

I've often wrestled with making a decision about which sub-forum I should post a thread due to overlap and this approach seems much clearer and should reduce duplicity.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm also a latest post type of person.

I do agree that it can be a bit overwhelming to find the right spot when posting.

Personally I only see there being two main differences when looking at posts, 1 year or keeper.

I know there's a lot of sub divisions in there but those are really the 2 biggest types that will drastically change an opinion.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

The Great One

I just view the threads by most recent so the sub-forums are completely meaningless to me.

The Wolverine

Thanks for all your feedback so far.

I also tend to use the 'latest posts' to read so I understand that it would have less impact in that area of forum usage. But figured it would be better to tidy it up a bit, especially for those creating new threads. As mentioned, I do notice posts going into random threads and times I've had to move posts to a more sensible sub-forum.

Of course, it's not perfect but thought it would be an improvement.

Keep the comments coming!

The Wolverine

Refreshing this thread in case Dobber/admins haven't seen it yet.

The Wolverine

Keeping this on the radar.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think that the suggestions make sense. I do think that having a salary cap (and maybe auction) forum would be helpful, especially with a feature specifically on cap leagues. I view cap & auction leagues as very different animals, due to the amount of fantasy owner control over salaries.

I only play in dynasty hockey leagues, but I don't think they need a separate forum, keeper works well for that.

Do you envision the player/team talk to cover fantasy teams & individual players or NHL teams? I'm guessing the former.

I tend to pop on multiple times a day, and rarely use the latest posts, but it's how I found this thread!
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I think that the suggestions make sense. I do think that having a salary cap (and maybe auction) forum would be helpful, especially with a feature specifically on cap leagues. I view cap & auction leagues as very different animals, due to the amount of fantasy owner control over salaries.

I only play in dynasty hockey leagues, but I don't think they need a separate forum, keeper works well for that.

Do you envision the player/team talk to cover fantasy teams & individual players or NHL teams? I'm guessing the former.

I tend to pop on multiple times a day, and rarely use the latest posts, but it's how I found this thread!
    Thanks for the feedback.

I see the benefit of a salary cap and/or auction forum (yes I do understand they are very different), but often people don't use it. So, unless there's a way to encourage/guide people to the right forum, you will have people going to other forums. For example, cap leagues don't interest me and I don't play in keepers, but I will go into some keeper threads as there could be some useful information for me from a one year perspective. But when I go into some I happen to notice it's about a cap league and that's no use to me. If there's a salary cap forum, it should be used and encouraged. If not, then get rid of it.

The player/team talk within keeper/one year is specifically fantasy-related as these suggestions are for the fantasy sub forums only. NHL talk should continue to go into the hockey hockey hockey or team related sub forums as they are now.

Dobber Sports Master

I trust your judgement H'fan

The Wolverine

Bumping in case it hasn't been seen yet. Still noticing examples as mentioned above e.g. no keeper thread that covers general advice, cap league posts not going into that sub-forum etc.

Dobber Sports Titan

I missed this while I was away. I'm on board with a realignment, though I also solely use the latest posts function.
    I think Eric would be the main one to be reorganizing these, am I correct in that?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Star

I use the 'latest posts' function exclusively, however whenever I start a thread I'm often left feeling like it doesn't fit anywhere. I like the re-structure idea.