Thread: Nedeljkovic?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Nedeljkovic?

What’s Carolina doing with him? He was part the AHL Championship team and looked good the one game he played for Carolina last season. Why haven’t they given him at least a backup job behind Mrazek? Just curious.

The Great One

Default Re: Nedeljkovic?

Just the cost of doing business (i.e. picked up reamer to dump darlings contract). I think the kid is blocked unless reimer falls on his face. Could happen though.

Dobber Sports Jedi

In order to dump Darling they had to block him... Winning a Calder means nothing... just ask Garret Sparks
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Novice

Sell high on him...i managed to use him as a piece for Freddy Anderson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

While I agree that the Reimer acquisition must have been a bit frustrating for Nedeljkovic, I'm still high on him. Both Reimer and Mrazek are signed for only two more years at a bit over 3 millions. That's neither guaranteed starter term nor money (just ask Darling...). Imo Nedeljkovic is an injury to one of the other Gs away of showing his stuff. If he can convince, he might stay.
    The wait might be a bit longer now, but the cream rises to the top eventually. I'd hold on to Nedeljkovic.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with those who've said it was the cost to dump Darling's contract. I don't view Reimer as a real impediment beyond this year, at the point his contract will expiring, and he can be dealt easily.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I agree with those who've said it was the cost to dump Darling's contract. I don't view Reimer as a real impediment beyond this year, at the point his contract will expiring, and he can be dealt easily.
    I'm not sure Reimer is really even an impediment right now. Once there's an injury, it's likely Nedeljkovic sees some action and he could impress as he has done in the past. At that point, it's anybody's guess what happens.

Like some others, I'm definitely high on this dude. He's being slowly brought along as the organization's future starter, and he's showed a really great upward trajectory. In his age 20-21 season (16-17), he debuted in the AHL with mediocre numbers over 25 games -- 3.40 / .881. He was demoted to the ECHL where he put up better numbers in the regular season (2.97 / .903), but he really stepped up his play in the playoffs, putting up a 1.92 / .930 ratio over 7 games. He also appeared in 1 NHL game in relief, stopping all 17 shots he faced. Slowly improving at each step along the way.

In his age 21-22 season Ned continued this trend of positive development, putting up much better AHL numbers than the season prior. Over the course of 49 games in 2017-18, Nedeljkovic posted a 2.55 / .903 ratio, and improved his numbers yet again over an 8-game playoff run with the Checkers -- 2.11 / .919. Nedeljkovic didn't see any NHL action in the 17-18 season, but improved his numbers while being brought up to a starter's workload in the AHL, and again had another standout postseason where he continued to improve his numbers.

Last season, Ned's age 22-23 season, was the real breakout effort. Just starting to come into his prime years, Nedeljkovic again improved his numbers from the prior season, playing an even larger workload and going on a deep playoff run that culminated in a Calder Cup championship. Ned appeared in 51 AHL games during the regular season, and posted a 2.26 / .916 ratio. Really solid numbers in a full starter's role. He continued that remarkable season by leading the Checkers to a championship with comparable numbers across 15 playoff starts -- 2.34 / .916. Nedeljkovic also appeared in 1 NHL game, a start against Vancouver in late January. Nedeljkovic picked up the victory, stopping 24 of 26 shots against (.923). Check out this sweet reaction save from that game:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video...ave/c-65182803

All in all, he's someone I'm pretty high on because he has shown the ability to consistently improve with each passing season. In addition to that, he's shown a propensity for very solid clutch play in the postseason both in the ECHL and AHL. He's been very effective in limited NHL appearances, and the future looks pretty bright to me. Definitely one of my favorite prospect goaltenders at this point, and being in the Carolina system helps. I think ultimately he projects as an average-to-above-average NHL starter who is slated to suit up for a dominant possession team that could be an NHL powerhouse with its incredibly deep prospect pool, stacked defensive core, and elite top-end talent in the top-six. It's a good situation to be in for a goaltender if he can manage to win the role within the next 2-3 seasons.

I think realistically he is probably going to get some starts this season to see where he's at, and then 2020-21 he will begin to assert control over the backup job and potentially even carve out a bigger role. Beyond Mrazek's contract it's a dogfight, and I think if Nedeljkovic continues to progress the way he has been for the past 3+ seasons, he will be in a great position to be the Hurricanes starter in 2021-22.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Nice write up by Mound. I'm a fan of Ned, and own him in my keeper. I think he'll get a sniff this year, and depending on Mrazek's performance could wind up splitting starts (or more) the season after.

He'll be jumping onto a really solid Carolina team at just the right time, and I think he'll have very good looking ratios when he's starting games for them.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Nedeljkovic still has one more season of waiver-exempt status so he may as well be getting starts in the AHL over backing up in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by rob2kx View Post
    Nice write up by Mound. I'm a fan of Ned, and own him in my keeper. I think he'll get a sniff this year, and depending on Mrazek's performance could wind up splitting starts (or more) the season after.

He'll be jumping onto a really solid Carolina team at just the right time, and I think he'll have very good looking ratios when he's starting games for them.
    This is a really important point that's being overlooked I think. Carolina should be a very strong team for goaltending, boasting an incredibly deep defense core and a stable of young forwards who can drive possession. The wait may be a little while longer with Reimer in town, but Nedeljkovic is pretty much "the guy" in the organization's future plans in net. His development has been very impressive, and there's nobody else really challenging his ascent. Mrazek is absolutely an obstacle at this point, but they're not heavily invested in him.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Wizard

What are people's thoughts now? He hasn't exactly been stellar in the AHL this season but I guess that is partly to do with the crappy team he is playing behind. Still. .885 SV% through 6 games.

Carolina could go another route after 2020 season when Mrazek's contract expires and sign a UFA. No guarantees, or even high probability Nedeljkovic is CAR's starter in 2021.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i dont think opinion should change after 6 games..still good prospects...we will see how he does at NHL level at some point this year, maybe next....Goalie prospects are way too unpredictable to overreact...just look at Carter Hart....so much hype...struggling a lot and is lucky philly is playing decent in front of him or his numbers could be much worst...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    What are people's thoughts now? He hasn't exactly been stellar in the AHL this season but I guess that is partly to do with the crappy team he is playing behind. Still. .885 SV% through 6 games.

Carolina could go another route after 2020 season when Mrazek's contract expires and sign a UFA. No guarantees, or even high probability Nedeljkovic is CAR's starter in 2021.
    I think nothing different than I did 6 games ago.

1. Reimer is the guy they got to dump Darling's contract, and while both he & Mrazek are helthy, will keep Nedeljkovic in Charlotte. Reimer is a guy who is likely gone after this season, if Nedeljkovic looks good enough to be the NHL backup.

2. Mrazek is a real impediment to him taking the job. He's been a good starting goalie in the NHL before, and is neither old (he's 27) nor expensive (about $3M).

3. Nedeljkovic has put up good numbers in the past. Charlotte did lose a lot of talent, but I expect to see Charlotte in action later this month when they visit Lehigh Valley, so I will have some more data then to see what they look like.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Just got home from a Charlotte- Lehigh Valley game, but Nedeljkovic played in the prior game. , so I didn't get to see him. I heard that he looked better in that game than Anton Forsberg did in tonight's game, but that's not a surprise, really. Seems like they are splitting the load for Charlotte.

Alex Lyon looked good, as the Phantoms could've easily lost this game big - they gave up a bunch of odd-man rushes and breakaways, that Lyon handled mostly pretty well. He's clearly the Flyers #3 guy.