Thread: Looking for Advice for Draft

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Looking for Advice for Draft

Hi guys, looking for inputs/ advice for my upcoming draft. League set up goes like this:
    12 teams, keeper league, 1 goalie per team as a keeper. Minimum of 2 goalies per team. Win = 2 pts and SO = 3 pts.
    Forwards, 1.5 pts for goals, 1 pt per assist. And a few extra pts on Sh goals/ assist.

Im just debating if I should take a fwds such as Blake Wheeler/ Couturier, etc with my first round pick or I should go with a Goalie since they aren't so many #1 available and other GM usually draft goalies.

In other words, should i pick the best player available or plan for a goalie since its a scarce.

Tx

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Looking for Advice for Draft

A couple questions...

- how many keepers?
    - which G did you keep?
    - who are the top G's available in the draft?

Unless there's a big gap in points - drop off from someone like Wheeler - I'd want to target goal scorers who are volume shooters - they're the most likely to reproduce 30+ goal seasons.
    Takes advantage of the G bonus. Wheeler's more of an apple guy... which is why I ask about the drop off in performance.

Most G's give you a chance at 30 wins and 4-5 SO's. With your scoring system that's 72-75pts. Give or take.
    It's possible to leave G's till mid-draft and take a tandem like Arz. Kuemper/Raanta or NYI - Varly/Griess. You usually only need the big name to push others off the second G and you can take the 35game back up a few rounds later.
    There seems to be a lot of tandems this year - Edm. Cgy are two others - Van basically is. whether they'll admit it or not yet.

In general I take BPA... but when a run comes... sometimes you gotta alter your plan a bit. Knowing the top G's available would help decide.. perhaps the top 5 or so skaters would help for comparison sake as well.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Novice

I kept Raanta.... yeah.... im desperate for a #1 goalie. We have 17 rounds and 6 keepers per team. 3 fwds, 2 D and 1 G.

Im forecasting that Price or matt murray, bishop, grubauer, dubnyk, varlamov, mrazek, quick, koskinen talbot , gibson Schneider and some other will be available. If Price is available, of course im jumping on him , after.... talent is limited in the crease

Dobber Sports Jedi

if you miss out on Price.. I'd prioritize them something like this:

Bishop
    Grubauer
    Murray
    Varlamov
    Gibson
    Markstrom -- no one is keeping him, unless you have a crazy Canucks fan on board.

I'd be hard pressed to pass on a 90pt forward to snag a 70pt goalie though.
    You'll need to nab Kuemper. getting 82 Yotes games isn't as bad a gamble as it was 3 years ago.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Novice

That what im planing with a late pick on Kuemper. Ironically, Markstrom was kept as a keeper by a fellow GM.

Ive also sorted the goalies the way you did.

My position at the draft will likely be between first to 4 th overall and my following pick will only be in the 3rd round with between the 25-29 pick. Hence, debating if i should take a Goalie at 75 pts and pass on Fwd at 100 or secure the G position and hope for the best