Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 9

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: 2019 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 9

Some people are very good at their draft recaps. I....am not but will give it a go.

Draft randomizer comes up and first overall is.....me! Fck lol, historically I'm a much better drafter at the end than at the start. I mean having a stud is great, but normally prefer the end. Ok. Saquon, Zeke, CMC, Saquon, Zeke, CMC, Saquon, Zeke, CMC.....debating that question for weeks now, and I guess I'll go with Saquon. At least he will play this year unlike Bell last year.

I'm usually all in on football. 6 different teams, 18 different football podacasts, read everything, 45 mock drafts plus a ton of best ball drafts. Honestly, it never really helps. Then on Sunday I find out I'm getting surprised with Cirque du Soleil tickets for Wednesday night. And I'm told that it's gonna be date night. Awesome, so plan is gonna have to be to autodraft. Last time I did that it was a disaster and I just narrowly avoided relegation, not going through that again. Helpful little hint from someone who autodrafted last year is if you exclude all of the kickers and defenses, they won't draft one. Great, check, done.

Mock drafting went from actually mocking to running simulations on my pre-set ranks. When I didn't like the way a round would go, I adjusted. In this sense, I think being on the absolute corner assisted me.

So round 2-3 turn, in my simulations this was the Gurley-Freeman-Keenan area. Generally I'm getting 2 of those 3 with some Fournette mixed in, who I was fine with here. Of course with the Sharps, no Mahomes in the second round so none of those three fell. Thankfully, we've gotten good news on Cooper's health in the last couple days so he was my last fallback. Lets do it. Stef Diggs and A Jones were other considerations, but Cooper and Fournette were above in my tiers.

Round 4-5 turn. Easy easy, loved this area. OJ Howard, Flash, DJ Moore, Miles Sanders tier. If I get two of Gurley/Freeman/Fournette, than this is Flash and either OJ Howard or DJ Moore. If I get Keenan than this is Flash and Sanders. TE run just before my pick, that's fine no Howard. I went WR/RB at 2-3 so this is Sanders and Flash. Well shit, TY is still there. That slide did not happen once. I understand Luck is gone, but I still think TY is gonna ball out this year so now I have to take him. Do I stick WR/RB and take Sanders or do I take Flash? Well. Go with the ranks, Flash it is. Hopefully he keeps his head on straight. Plus I have some sneaky late round RB targets like Kenyan Drake, Austin Ekeler, Matt Breida, and Royce Freeman who are lasting just way to long in these drafts.

Round 6-7. So Freeman, Drake, Ekeler, Breida, and Sanders all went. Shit. In a normal draft this would never be a QB spot for me, but Yahoo's algorithm will fill empty starter spots before bench spots, and I didn't want to draft 8 QBs so I had to have a defined set of guys in my ranks and then exclude the rest. So this was always going to have to be the round I took my QB (and TE, if I didn't get Howard, which I didn't). Legit happy with getting Vance here, love his upside in that offense with AB gone. Lamar was always my target here. In a lot of mocks I'd overlap with Kofax, he was taking Lamar 4 picks before this, but I wasn't going to go QB any earlier, so it was a risk. My last ranked QB was Jameis, so if by some chance both Jameis and Lamar (along with the other QBs already gone) had been taken, the draft room would have been in for a treat. Sam Bradford or something like that would be my QB. Delanie Walker was my backup TE to come here, so overall pretty happy how this round turned out. This was also the last round I was really checking in to the draft room for.

Round 8-9-10-11. As suggested in the draft room, I set a Queue to override some of my pre-set ranks based on where my team was at. That list consisted of Latavius (Mark Ingram role, I know Peng is sour on him but that's gonna be a good pick), McCoy, Samuel (that one legit hurt), MVS, Coutee, Hill, Samuels, Mattison, Sutton, Darwin Thompson. I'm happy with the four I got, but man do I wish I got Samuel.

At this point Cirque is full on so I'm in Jesus take the wheel mode. Apparently he really liked steering to tight ends, as I now have Olsen, Reed, and Jack Doyle. Intentionally have no defense and kicker, so will have to remedy that prior to Sunday. I do feel better knowing Edmonds, Hardman, and Ogunbowale all went between Thompson and Olsen so I didn't have a shot at them anyways. If I could have checked in again, I would have set a queue for defense and kicker instead of Reed and Olsen and such, but I'm happier not having one than I would have been drafting them in round 8 and 9

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I'd imagine part of this for me is currently having a 0 projected at both defense and kicker for the entire season lol
    Oh snap!
    Well that makes sense - seemed like you had a tremendous team.
    Got a few days, I guess, to pick a kicker & DST!
    That's probably +200pts there!!!

[No more poo-poo-ing about downside of #1 overall pick, though!]

^Solid recap above! All while at Cirque... damn... have some REP!!!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Lamar was always my target here. In a lot of mocks I'd overlap with Kofax, he was taking Lamar 4 picks before this...
    Huh. Funny thing is, I only remember actively taking Lamar Jackson once in an early mock. Perhaps you ended up in a couple where I had to bail before getting to far into it and I ended up on autodraft. I'm impressed you were aware enough to recognize me as a drafter in there though. I clearly did not pay enough attention to who was in my mocks, assuming there was way too low of a chance I'd run into folks in our league. Lamar's a good pick though.

The Wolverine

Rataylor, I haven't checked your team but does it still mess up your pre-ranks/Yahoo algorithm if you exclude any positions? I had tried that in this league a few years' back and my bench had no logic eg. almost all one position. Looking at the draft results at the time it didn't always follow my rankings after the 'fill all starters' stage.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Rataylor, I haven't checked your team but does it still mess up your pre-ranks/Yahoo algorithm if you exclude any positions? I had tried that in this league a few years' back and my bench had no logic eg. almost all one position. Looking at the draft results at the time it didn't always follow my rankings after the 'fill all starters' stage.
    Well, I have 4 TEs so I'm going to say yes. I think I got bailed out a little by being able to jump in and add some late guys to me queue, but I do know in mock drafts after I had my 7 starters it would swerve from the pre-draft ranks I had set.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Glad I missed out on AB at this point. He was a guy I always seemed to end up with in my mocks, but I was getting more and more hesitant with all the drama that kept going on. I probably would have taken him though if he lasted another 2 picks. phew!

Dobber Sports Deity

I'll give a quick writeup on my picks. I was drafting 14th overall so I was last in the 1st round, and had B2B picks every time. Not something I like to do, especially starting that far down the draft list.

It seems the past could seasons, I am scrambling for RBs so this year I said screw it and went with as many as I could get early on.

14th/15th overall, respectfully - Took my top ranked player first in Michael Thomas. Didnt want a WR here, but he was my top ranked at the time. Honestly, my next couple ranked player were more WRs, but no way was I going to wait to pick up a RB through two full rounds so I reached further down than I wanted to and took my highest ranked RB, Todd Gurley. I did NOT want to draft Gurley, but I was looking even further down for another decent one. I really hoped Mixon or Cook (who went directly before my 1st pick) would make it to me but no such luck. Here's hoping his knee holds up.

With the 14th pick in round 3, and the 1st pick in round 4, I said screw it and took two more RBs, skipping over a couple WRs again. To be fair, my next three ranked players after the WRs were Phillip Lindsay and Marlon Mack so I wouldnt call either guy a reach for me. I was happy with these two picks at this point in the draft.

With the 14th pick in the 5th round and the 1st pick in the 6th round, I took my top ranked WR in Corey Davis and had to jump in on the TE run and grab someone decent before they were all gone, so I grabbed my highest ranked TE in David Njoku. I wasnt really excited about Davis but he was the highest ranked WR on my list so I went with him. Same for Njoku. I reached for him compared to where I had him ranked, but TEs were going left right and center so I didnt want to miss out. Not overly happy with either of these picks but we'll see.

With the 14th pick in the 7th round (98th overall at this point) and the 99th overall pick, I grabbed another RB in Shady McCoy. I actually think he is still a solid RB and being reunited with Andy Reid could be an interesting thing to see this year. I liked getting him here although I assume a couple were wondering what I was doing there. With the 1st pick in the 8th round, I grabbed my handcuff for Gurley in Darrell Henderson Jr. I had him ranked pretty high and didnt know if he'd get back to me so I wanted to get that handcuff. Meh, he's ranked close to this spot so I didnt reach too far for him.

With the 14th pick in the 9th round, I grabbed the next highest ranked WR on my list, Geronimo Allison. I wont lie, I know nothing about him but he seems to be having a solid pre-season and is expected to surprise a few this year. Here's hoping the guy I used for my rankings knows what he's talking about. With the 1st pick in the 15th round, I grabbed my staring QB in Drew Brees. I was happy to see him still there at this point. There was a bit of a QB rush a few round prior to this but I knew there would be some quality if I held off. I was quite happy to get Brees this late. Probably the best pick of my draft IMO but we will see.

With the 14th pick in the 11th round (154th overall) and the 1st pick in the 12th round, I started filling my bench and grabbed a couple WRs. They were the highest ones I had ranked so I went with John Brown and Muhammed Sanu. I wasnt really excited about these two, although I do think Buffalo will surprise a few this year and Brown is arguably their top WR so someone has to catch some balls there.

With the 14th pick in the 13th round, and 1st in the 14th round, I grabbed my backup TE in rookie TJ Hockenson. I looked at him and Fant and decided to go with a QB that I trust more in Stafford compared to Flacco. I also grabbed my Defense here in Cleveland. I had Minny queued up be he went a couple picks before I could get them.

With the last pick of the draft, I grabbed my kicker, Chris Boswell from Pittsburgh. Who cares.

All in all, Yahoo liked my draft but I felt like most of the draft I was drafting out of position. I tried not to worry about filling open positions as much as I wanted to get some decent RBs. Thus I took five in the first eight rounds. Here's hoping this idea works for me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

This was the second of my two fantasy football leagues. I was not happy with my other draft, yet Yahoo gave me an A and top ranking (along with the easiest schedule). This draft? Similar in that I was not entirely happy with the way my picks ended up. Yahoo must love me though, once again, getting top marks from them. I'm seriously weak at WR, although if one of my young guys pans out, it might not be too bad. My draft slot was #3 (of 14). Here's the picks:

1st - Had to choose between Zeke and McCaffrey. I owned McCaffrey last year and he was a fantasy beast in PPR (and half-PPR for this league). Went with Ezekiel Elliott.

2nd/3rd - Was hoping Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans or Adam Thielen would fall to me, but not in this crowd. Kelce and Kittle came off the board and I started thinking that I needed to take a TE with one of these two picks. Couldn't pass up Zach Ertz, hoping he can put together another monster season. Then went with my usual 2 RB's in the 1st 3 rounds and took Aaron Jones GB.

4th/5th - The hope: Brandin Cooks, Melvin Gordon, Edelman. The reality: Went way, way off script and took a 2nd TE (for our flex) in Engram. Got sucked in when I read that NYG was making him and Barkley the focus of the passing game (of course they are). I'm hoping that he does very well and I can parlay him into a top WR or at least better than any on the board at this point in the draft. We'll see. Still don't have a WR, which is really bad, went with D.J. Moore. Not thrilled with him as my #1 WR.

6th/7th - The plan was to take 3 WR in a row with my 5-6-7 picks. Corey Davis, Dede Westbrook, Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Robby Anderson and Kirk all came off the board. Again, went way off my plan and took QB Matt Ryan. This is the earliest I've ever taken a QB. Grabbed Sammy Watkins as my #2 WR. Not exactly overjoyed at my WR corps.

8th/9th - Still desperately needed WR's. Went with old man Larry Fitzgerald and then grabbed another RB in Peyton Barber TB. Underwhelmed at this point.

10th/11th - A little early, but 3 Def have come off the board and I wanted BAL (partly because I picked them in my other league), so quoth the Ravens "Neverscore". I was sweating out passing on my Zeke handcuff, but happy Pollard made it to me in the 11th.

12th/13th - Was hoping for WR's John Brown, DK Metcalf or even Golden Tate to fall to me, but no dice. Decided to roll the dice with a pair of KC wideouts, Mecole Hardman and Demarcus Robinson. Almost a handcuff if Watkins goes down, one of these guys is likely to see an increased role...or if a video surfaces with Tyreek Hill in it...

14th/15th - Kicker time. Best available on my list was Fairbairn. My final pick was another all or nothing pick in WR DaeSean Hamilton DEN.

Overall, I think I'll grow to like my team, but totally in a weird place with 2 top tier TE's and a WR corps that is heavy on hope. Bring on the season!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Demi-God

After logging in and checking the snoozer of a GB-CHI game... I'm actually happy that I have the only player that outperformed their Yahoo projection.
    Allen Robinson III... thanks for the + points!!!

Off to a good start for DeShaunShineBand!

The Wolverine

I usually choose a team name based on a player and a horror film. Decided to change it up a bit. Since I have Carson, I found another way to link it to horror:

Here's Johnny!

I even changed my avatar on my team to tie it all together.

Dobber Sports Deity

I love leaving almost as many fantasy points on my bench from TWO PLAYERS compared to the rest of my starting lineup so far. I still have a couple big guns to go tonight, but man that was sad. Titans score 43points and Corey Davis with ZERO catches in there. Awesome!!

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^LOL. Fantasy football is maddening for about, exactly, half of every H2H league after week #1.
    So far I'm enjoying that Matt Bryant got me 0.000pts... thanks Falcons... and that Tyreek Hill exited the KC game in Q1. (Deja Vu: Fournette 2018, Opening Game)

^Fantasy Football Happiness!!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Similar boat as you guys, but I may still luck out a win.
    10 points combined from my QB, RB2, and TE.
    Had to leave 42 WR points on the bench which I am looking to trade...
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

If I can only get 60+ pts tonight from three guys, I'll be ok. Not totally impossible I suppose, but I think week 1 goes down as a stinker.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If I can only get 60+ pts tonight from three guys, I'll be ok. Not totally impossible I suppose, but I think week 1 goes down as a stinker.
    Considering you have the Brees Thomas connection ready to go with Lindsay in the wings. I am not at all confident I can hold you off. Should have kept K. Murray in....