Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gustafsson - Why All The Hype?

Dobber Sports Pro

Question Gustafsson - Why All The Hype?

I know he had a good season, but he came out of nowhere (not young either) with no pedigree and it just seems so random to me. I also haven't watched the Hawks much, but I have a hard time thinking that he's gone from a nobody to a top point-getting D-man just like that. Can anyone shed some light for me? Thanks!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Gustafsson - Why All The Hype?

It's because he's very good offensively and on the PP.

gustafsson.png

He's also incredible in transition, and his shot impacts are fantastic. Entry defense is also a plus.

rielly-gustafsson.png

Hit shot contributions and transition impacts are comparable to Rielly over a three-year span, and his entry defense is superior.

He's not great in his own zone, but especially down the stretch he was averaging close to 2.5 shots + 2 hits + 1.5 blocks per game so the peripherals game is on point. He's just a very good player.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    I know he had a good season, but he came out of nowhere (not young either) with no pedigree and it just seems so random to me. I also haven't watched the Hawks much, but I have a hard time thinking that he's gone from a nobody to a top point-getting D-man just like that. Can anyone shed some light for me? Thanks!
    Gustafsson is an offensive defensive that plays a cowboy-style game that was completely unleashed by Jeremy Colliton last season. He was given prime deployment on PP1 and was given freedom to play his game. His play on the PP led to a major improvement for the Hawk squad. He was a HUGE improvement over Duncan Keith on the PP who I have always said was the main reason their PP underachieved.

I don’t see any reason for his stats to decrease this season. He has no competition and the Hawks will continue to score a lot of goals with Gustafsson being a beneficiary. There is a good chance that the Hawks will not be able to resign him after this season.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Jedi

These are all the reasons for all the hype.

he didn't have the draft pedigree, but once your drafted - talk to Pavel Datsyuk.
    He was a really good Dman in Sweden before coming over as well - the points didn't translate much beyond .5/gm but there was some hype on him coming over when he did.
    He also performed well in 17/18 when called up at the end of the year with 17 in 25gp.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Magnificent One

I wouldn’t say hype but I would say more surprise.

He didn’t really come out of nowhere. He was hyped a few years ago. If I recall he did well but then was sent down to the minors and didn’t resurface until back end of the following year. I had him on my fantasy team but then dropped as I couldn’t hold him and thought he was lost in the minors. Comes last year and he explodes.

I think it’s because of the game changing. Teams are letting dmen run more free which gives him the chance and he took it
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks for all this! Can you guys think of any other examples of a defenceman taking off like this so late? I guess that’s a part of what surprised me so much. This would seem less weird to me if he were 22 or something, haha. He’s projected to be one of the top D point-getters in the entire league this year! Although if it were going to happen, OF COURSE it would be the Oilers that drafted him and then let him get away.

Dobber Sports Giant

Thanks for all this! Can you guys think of any other examples of a defenceman taking off like this so late (? I guess that’s a part of what surprised me so much. This would seem less weird to me if he were 22 or something, haha. He’s projected to be one of the top D point-getters in the entire league this year! Although if it were going to happen, OF COURSE it would be the Oilers that drafted him and then let him get away.
    Obviously very different type player, but Mark Giordano didn't eclipse 40 points until his age-27 season. Ditto for Ryan Ellis who had 32 in 44 during his age-27 season. Defense notoriously take longer to develop, and so much of their value is dependent on usage and opportunities. Some of us last offseason were talking about Gustafsson as a potential breakout candidate, as things seemed to be lining up: positive impact down the stretch, solid possession metrics, team depth chart opening up in front of him, etc. Needless to say, none of us expected what we got, but life is full of surprises.

Even Dominik Hasek was a backup until he was 28, and he's the best ever. Sometimes it just takes longer.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Jedi

two other 'come out of nowhere' names - Klingberg & Ghost... much younger, but until they blew up they weren't on very many radars. minds were blown with both.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

The most important thing defensemen need to break out is opportunity. Until the Hawks fired Q and decided to try a new look on the PP all Gus could do was wait.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    two other 'come out of nowhere' names - Klingberg & Ghost... much younger, but until they blew up they weren't on very many radars. minds were blown with both.
    The only people who had Gostisbehere on their radar likely saw that NCAA championship game. A lot of us Flyers fans got very, very excited to see him in the building again after that.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

This all makes a lot of sense to me now, folks. Thanks! I had been SUPER hesitant to think about drafting him over more proven options, but now I'm feeling it. Thanks!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Giant

Looking at the team in my signature, going into next season I probably value Gustafsson right behind Letang, Dumba, Weber, Ristolainen, and Barrie. I've got him ahead of both Yandle and Pietrangelo in terms of multi-cat / points value, and he's pretty comparable with Barrie this season.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Looking at the team in my signature, going into next season I probably value Gustafsson right behind Letang, Dumba, Weber, Ristolainen, and Barrie. I've got him ahead of both Yandle and Pietrangelo in terms of multi-cat / points value, and he's pretty comparable with Barrie this season.
    I'd take Gustafsson over Barrie in multi-cat. He's much more of a banger
    16 Team, H2H Dynasty Cap 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G, 3B, 10 Minor - Scoring G / A / P / PPP / SOG / Hit / Blk / TOISH - W / GAA / SV / SV%
    Forwards: Gaudreau, Barzal, Beniers, Raymond, Trocheck, Byfield, Quinn, Couturier, Chytil, Crouse, Farabee, Rasmussen, Podkolzin, Monahan, Killorn
    Defence: Sergachev, McAvoy, Sanderson, Hronek, McCabe, Broberg
    Goalie: Demko, Merzlikins, Schmid
    F Minors: McTavish, Eklund, Sillinger, Nazar, Kasper, Lekkerimaki, Ostlund
    D Minors: Edvinsson
    G Minors: Askarov, Cossa
    Picks: 2023 1.01, 1.14

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Trubittisky View Post
    I'd take Gustafsson over Barrie in multi-cat. He's much more of a banger
    That's true. Barrie has the advantage in shots and blocks are close to a wash, but Gustafsson should have a distinct edge in hits. I think Barrie's offensive pedigree and history as a high-end scoring D give him a slight edge over Gustafsson in terms of point production and individual shot rates. They are pretty close, and as I said, I think he's closer to Barrie than he is to Yandle and Pietrangelo.

Dobber Sports Superstar

this was a typical stat line for him in a multi-cat as an owner last season....1 G, 1A, 2PPP, 23:00 ATOI, 4 SHOT, 8 HIT....that's why.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe