Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Signing] Kevn Shattenkirk to Tampa Bay Lightning

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: [Signing] Kevn Shattenkirk to Tampa Bay Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Tampa just loves to collect old rangers yeah ?
    Exactly Tampa is all in. No more excuses for them thats for sure.
    Devils & Predators fan

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn_d0e View Post
    Exactly Tampa is all in. No more excuses for them thats for sure.
    I’m not sure how signing a recently bought out D makes them all in. Talk to me when Point is signed and at camp day and at camp day one.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Not fully, no. The short, easy answer is that he'll get to pay taxes on a pro-rated portion based on residency dates, if he lives in Florida. However, some cities & states have taxes based on work location, and the most notorious city for that is NYC. If he lived in NYC, he gets the benefit of not living there for the city income taxes for this upcoming season's checks.
    Uhhh...
    So no, he doesn’t pay state income tax on the money still owed him.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I’m not sure how signing a recently bought out D makes them all in. Talk to me when Point is signed and at camp day and at camp day one.
    Im saying it in a way that Shattenkirk is taking a discount just to fit in the contract and has a chance to win the cup with them. Something like we see in NBA every year... Im not saying that this one move takes them over the top They are adding another good player to already stocked roster.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Uhhh...
    So no, he doesn’t pay state income tax on the money still owed him.
    He certainly could - if he is not using the accrual method of accounting and counting income when it becomes a receivable. Most sizeable businesses use the accrual method. Most individuals use the cash method. Some jurisdictions require that individuals use the cash method. For individuals, suing the cash method means that it normally depends on when the income is received. I will concede that I have never done taxes for any pro athletes, nor have I ever done any individual returns which used the accrual method.

Being owed money is not the same as being paid money. It depends on where he lives when he gets paid.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Assuming Shatty is on the 3rd pairing, and is on the 2nd PP unit, how many points will he get this year?

Dobber Sports Jedi

TB was all in last year.
    They were already all in this year... Shatty's just a small piece of that all in pie that was already made.
    He's a really solid signing at 1.75m If he gets decent PP time he could see himself back up over 40pts
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He's a really solid signing at 1.75m If he gets decent PP time he could see himself back up over 40pts[/QUOTE]

Certainly a good gamble in a cap league

Dobber Sports Icon

Am I missing something here?

Shattenkirk was the #5 dmen on the 26th best team in the NHL last season and was so bad that the Rangers would rather pay him to not play for them then have him on the roster again this season...yet he's a great add for the Tampa Bay Lightning?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

Shattenkirk was the #5 dmen on the 26th best team in the NHL last season and was so bad that the Rangers would rather pay him to not play for them then have him on the roster again this season...yet he's a great add for the Tampa Bay Lightning?
    6.5m vs. 1.75m - that's a big difference. Expectations drop immensely when you change $$ like that

Administrator

Yeah expectations matter a lot. In NY he was expected to be leading the way and fell short. In TB he'll provide valuable depth. If anything I think people in fantasy land are expecting too much from him offensively this year.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

NY wasted lots of their offensive zone starts insulating Shattenkirk from the more difficult minutes, and since NYR wasn't that good they didn't have a lot of those type of sheltered minutes to go around. I would guess Fox steps into those minutes with Shattenkirk gone from the picture. That blue line isn't very deep at the moment, and there just aren't enough "offensive" minutes to go around.

The important difference is that Tampa drives play unlike any other NHL team, and for that reason they have lots and lots more offensive zone starts to hand out to different players. Shattenkirk will be easily sheltered in a bottom-pair / PP2 role with Tampa. There is zero pressure on him to produce, and he can crush easy minutes and pick up some scraps on the PP2.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    He certainly could - if he is not using the accrual method of accounting and counting income when it becomes a receivable. Most sizeable businesses use the accrual method. Most individuals use the cash method. Some jurisdictions require that individuals use the cash method. For individuals, suing the cash method means that it normally depends on when the income is received. I will concede that I have never done taxes for any pro athletes, nor have I ever done any individual returns which used the accrual method.

Being owed money is not the same as being paid money. It depends on where he lives when he gets paid.
    Wow. Obviously a subject matter expert here. Your last sentence is my point...he’ll be living in Florida when gets paid from now on he won’t pay state income tax.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Deity

Interesting. Clearly he wants to win over the money, which is a nice thing to see.\

https://twitter.com/CompleteHkyNews/...03527629774848

The Anaheim Ducks offered Kevin Shattenkirk a two-year contract with an AAV of ~$2-$2.5 million and he turned it down for one-year and $1.75 million in Tampa Bay, per Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period and confirmed by the Athletic.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Interesting. Clearly he wants to win over the money, which is a nice thing to see.\

https://twitter.com/CompleteHkyNews/...03527629774848
    Being on the East Coast was important in his decision to sign with NYR originally... might have something to do with it as well.