Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [RE-SIGNED] Avs Extend Girard

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: [RE-SIGNED] Avs Extend Girard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Or just someone willing to take less for more term with a team on the way up.
    5M is low for a top pairing D, even as a sacrifice. Makar will command 7, even on a bridge deal.. Byram no idea, but this is second pairing money. Not this year but starting next or the year after, the long term outlook can’t be Girard as the top horse with that contract.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    5M is low for a top pairing D, even as a sacrifice. Makar will command 7, even on a bridge deal.. Byram no idea, but this is second pairing money. Not this year but starting next or the year after, the long term outlook can’t be Girard as the top horse with that contract.
    I'm just not sure I agree with this -- I mean, Josi is the best comparable in terms of contract. It was fair/reasonable, then absolutely a steal.

Josi
    2012/13 - last year of ELC, 18 P in 48 GP
    signed 7 years @ $4M
    2013/14 - 40 P in 72 GP
    2014/15 - 55 P in 81 GP
    2015/16 - 61 P in 81 GP
    2016/17 - 49 P in 72 GP
    2017/18 - 53 P in 75 GP
    2018/19 - 56 P in 82 GP

I get that it was a long time ago and the context is different... but steals happen. You're right to point out that the contract won't automatically get him the big minutes, but performance plays, and Girard is positioned for a serious opportunity this year.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    I'm just not sure I agree with this -- I mean, Josi is the best comparable in terms of contract. It was fair/reasonable, then absolutely a steal.

Josi
    2012/13 - last year of ELC, 18 P in 48 GP
    signed 7 years @ $4M
    2013/14 - 40 P in 72 GP
    2014/15 - 55 P in 81 GP
    2015/16 - 61 P in 81 GP
    2016/17 - 49 P in 72 GP
    2017/18 - 53 P in 75 GP
    2018/19 - 56 P in 82 GP

I get that it was a long time ago and the context is different... but steals happen. You're right to point out that the contract won't automatically get him the big minutes, but performance plays, and Girard is positioned for a serious opportunity this year.
    Add Morgan Rielly as example #2
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Legend

5mil x7 guaranteed is a lot of financial security for an up-and-coming talent like Girard.
    He'll sleep well at night knowing him and his family are set for life ... and if his career progresses as expected, he'll sign another whopper at age 28.
    I think this is a wise decision by Girard--he's making a commitment to the team and will be rewarded long-term ... and have a legit shot at winning a Cup IMO.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    5mil x7 guaranteed is a lot of financial security for an up-and-coming talent like Girard.
    He'll sleep well at night knowing him and his family are set for life ... and if his career progresses as expected, he'll sign another whopper at age 28.
    I think this is a wise decision by Girard--he's making a commitment to the team and will be rewarded long-term ... and have a legit shot at winning a Cup IMO.
    Yeah, it definitely sets him up to stay relevant during the contract. He'll be worth a lot in 7 years!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Yeah, it definitely sets him up to stay relevant during the contract. He'll be worth a lot in 7 years!
    No doubt. And, as far as contracts go, he'll be in a great position to cash-in even more later.

That said, there's so much more that goes into an NHL career besides money--are you living in a city and playing for a team you love? Are you happy with your role on the team and feel you are part of a core than can accomplish something special? Are you the type of person content with sharing the risk/reward with the team you play for?

Quite frankly, it's refreshing seeing players "take a little less to be in a good situation." Players like Backstrom in Washington did that and look at how rewarding his career is turning out. The same with the Bolts players ... and I think they will eventually get their cheese.

$35mil guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at. His next deal at 28 could end up being $8mil x 5 ... that's another $40mil. Girard seems like a level-headed kid ... good for him.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Master

Not saying it’s anything to sneeze at, but I think both camps recognize he will be a useful player for some time, just not the game breaker first pairing defenceman that commands north of 7M coming out of entry or after a short bridge. The deal is great for both camps, I just think it speaks to a player who’s a complement in the core, not the franchise cornerstone.

Josi’s contract ended up as a bargain but 4M then is like 7 now based on where the cap and contract trends have gone.

Administrator

Josi’s contract ended up as a bargain but 4M then is like 7 now based on where the cap and contract trends have gone.
    The first year of Josi's deal the NHL's cap ceiling was ~$69M. Today it's $81.5M. Scaling up his AAV to today's numbers puts it at $4.72M. The cap hasn't gone up that much. Girard's contract is VERY similar to Josi's.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Realistically, Ryan Ellis might be a better comparable than Josi or Rielly.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The first year of Josi's deal the NHL's cap ceiling was ~$69M. Today it's $81.5M. Scaling up his AAV to today's numbers puts it at $4.72M. The cap hasn't gone up that much. Girard's contract is VERY similar to Josi's.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Realistically, Ryan Ellis might be a better comparable than Josi or Rielly.
    Realistically, either could be true. From a cap perspective, it's right in line with Josi. On the other hand, 2nd contracts out of ELC have changed quite a bit in the last 7 years.

To definitively state we know the ultimate upside and opportunity of a 21 year old defenceman who has already played top pairing and has ~100 games under his belt because of the contract he signed is pretty silly one way or another.

It's also pretty silly to project what Makar might make on his second contract based on what he did in 8 playoffs games.

The Great One

Yeah, maybe he's the next Josi. But look at Zaitzev or Tyler Myers. 7x5 is nothing to sneeze at...

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Realistically, either could be true. From a cap perspective, it's right in line with Josi. On the other hand, 2nd contracts out of ELC have changed quite a bit in the last 7 years.
    This is exactly how I feel about it.

When Josi signed his contact, he was second fiddle to Weber. He ended up outproducing him, but there was no guarantee of that. They’re also not comparable as players; Ellis is a much better comparable in terms of size and style of play.

Nothing wrong with the contract and nothing wrong with a guy taking less dollar per year to help the team and guarantee some long term security, but the way RFA contracts out of entry are trending, if Girard and the Avs really believed he was a top pairing stud, a la 26 mins a night in all situations, there is no way he signs this contract. Not nowadays. Makar will be the one to sign that kind of contract. That’s all I’m saying. That’s where I’m placing my bets.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Again. Your last paragraph is just silly. I mean, just for starters Girard was already a top pairing player playing 20 minutes a night last season. 8 players played more than 25 minutes a night last season. 8. Most teams are smarter than to run their top players into the ground like that nowadays.

And FWIW, outside of their height, I couldn’t think of two more dissimilar players than Ellis and Girard.

Dobber Sports Master

Ok. I could say the same about yours. Ellis coming out of junior was a great skater who could run a pp but needed bulk in order to handle regular minutes. Girard was pressed into action on a top pair type of role due to lack of depth. In Nashville it wouldn’t have been the case. Seems pretty similar to me. All I’m betting on (and I’m not alone in this; the Athletic did this exercise) is that Girard will be a second pair defenceman and to me this contract fits the bill perfectly.