Thread: Favorite Podcasts

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Favorite Podcasts

We've got books, music, movies, shows covered...

Podcasts are huge. Seems everyone has one. Plug for - Keeping Karlsson

I'll start.. I've become absolutely addicted to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

I'm 5 episodes into his 'Blueprint for Armageddon. It covers WWI in brilliant detail. The entire first 2.5hr episode covered the start of the war. Episode 5 spends a lot of time in 2016/early 2017 covering USA domestically & Russia as they enter the revolution that overthrows the Czar - gets into Rasputin a bit... fascinating stuff. Seems like tangents, but he always ties himself back into the original direction/intention in the end.

captivating stuff. Admittedly, it's not for the faint of heart. There's some absolutely horrific detailed accounts of things seen on the battle fields.

Each episode rocks between 2hrs and 5 1/2 hours. WWI is just one historical event he covers. So much more.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Favorite Podcasts

Am I the only one that doesn't listen to podcasts?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

I listen to Chapo Trap House, but only for Matt Christman's analysis. It's mostly dick jokes and dirtbags making fun of electoral politics, but Matt's left analysis of political and social problems is on point. Dude knows his theory.

I also like Keeping Karlsson.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Am I the only one that doesn't listen to podcasts?
    I cant say I listen to many of them, but I do listen to one called Basic Brewing from time to time. Sometimes I just want to listen to something that isn't music on the radio and I don't get much for talk radio other than a local news station. I wish we got a sports radio station here in NS but we don't.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    We've got books, music, movies, shows covered...

Podcasts are huge. Seems everyone has one. Plug for - Keeping Karlsson

I'll start.. I've become absolutely addicted to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

I'm 5 episodes into his 'Blueprint for Armageddon. It covers WWI in brilliant detail. The entire first 2.5hr episode covered the start of the war. Episode 5 spends a lot of time in 2016/early 2017 covering USA domestically & Russia as they enter the revolution that overthrows the Czar - gets into Rasputin a bit... fascinating stuff. Seems like tangents, but he always ties himself back into the original direction/intention in the end.

captivating stuff. Admittedly, it's not for the faint of heart. There's some absolutely horrific detailed accounts of things seen on the battle fields.

Each episode rocks between 2hrs and 5 1/2 hours. WWI is just one historical event he covers. So much more.
    Hardcore History is outstanding. I love Blueprint and listen to it just about every year. It is fantastic. Ghosts from the Ostfront on the Eastern Front of WWII are just about the best podcasts I have ever listened to. Pay for it- it is worth it. Carlin did a podcast on the atomic bomb (Destroyer of Worlds) and bombing cities in the 20th century (can't remember its name) which were single podcasts in the 3-4 hour range which were fantastic.

Other nonsports podcasts I enjoy are Freakonomics, 538 Politics, Gladwell's Revisionist History, and the Science of Success.

Sports podcasts I enjoy are: the Athletic hockey podcasts especially the Leafs podcast, 31 Thoughts, Canucks Central on Prospects, The Steve Dangle Report, and The Hockey PDOcast. The Madhouse Chicago podcast is the best for the Blackhawks. I enjoy cycling and The Move with Lance Armstrong and George Hincappie is outstanding and a must-listen during the TdF. The Move is just about the best sports podcast out there IMO. I subscribe to a few more but I have listed all my favorites. Love the topic.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Giant

Nate Silver is a complete idiot. Ever since he decided to become a political "pundit" it's become increasingly clear he's just a big dumbass like the rest of the pundit class. He's just another neoliberal hack just like Gladwell. These guys who honestly think that stuff like "technological advancement' is just going to miraculously save us from global fascism and the climate apocalypse because ... progress.

Absolute idiots. I will say that it's far, far, far better than listening to Ben Shapiro, or Jordan Peterson, or watching Sargon of Akkad on YouTube like some people around here ... that stuff just rots your damn brain, and leaves nativist, fascist garbage where grey matter once was.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

spitin chicklets and Elliott Friedman 30 are my go to hockey pods, but I listen to the readers stuff as well. hvac and electrical pods. also there's a couple guitar pods like desi serna that are interesting.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Star

Leaving sports podcasts out of it

- You Must Remember This - stories of old Hollywood
    - The Rewatchables - going over fun movies
    - Reply All - Oddities in our Internet world
    - Revisionist History - Malcolm Gladwell observations
    - Against the Rules - Roles of arbiters in life
    - How Did This Get Made - Wacky dissection of foul films

Administrator

Hardcore History is gold

Otherwise I'm more into Youtube podcasts with video such as Joe Rogan. For hockey I don't mind The Hockey Guy who does mostly short videos. I wouldn't mind finding a reliable hockey podcast that bypasses the daily fluff stories and gets to the real stuff.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

Hockey Podcasts I like are 31 Thoughts (more serious, but enjoy the insight), Spittin Chiclets (I understand the criticism around Barstool, but these guys get great interviews where guys open up), and the PDOCast (love the deep analytical dives).

Those keep me pretty busy.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Hockey Podcasts I like are 31 Thoughts (more serious, but enjoy the insight), Spittin Chiclets (I understand the criticism around Barstool, but these guys get great interviews where guys open up), and the PDOCast (love the deep analytical dives).

Those keep me pretty busy.
    Thank you for at least admitting that, while you and many others listen to spittin chiclets, barstool Sports is complete trash.