Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fluff Thread (Ask Mound Anything)

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: The Fluff Thread (Ask Mound Anything)

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    Would all of this still be true if Marner had already signed an extension?
    Yes, I'm assuming Mitch Marner re-signs with Toronto. I simply believe that Nylander is going to be a prominent part of their PP1 deployments, regardless of whether Marner signs a big ol' long-term contract. I think this is finally the year of the Willy. Fourth full season, ridiculous underlying numbers, the partnership with Matthews should be full-time, etc. There are just too many reasons for me not to think Nylander is going to break out this season.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Why should you stand in a corner when you are cold?
    I've heard they're usually around 90 degrees, but you should check with your contractor on this one. I'm not a professional.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Who will finish top 3 in points for Ottawa & your point predictions?
    Eek. I'll say Brady Tkachuk, Chabot, and I'll go with a bit of a wild-card in Drake Batherson. I didn't really know a whole lot about him until quite recently, but when I looked below the surface and started compiling information on this dude I began to love what I was seeing. Given how depleted this team is almost across the board, I could see him ending up as a first-line player by the end of the season alongside Tkachuk and Colin White.

Brady Tkachuk, I think my expectation is a 55-60 point season, 3 shots per game, 2 hits per game, PIM per game. In his rookie season, Tkachuk averaged 16 mins of ice time with about 2 minutes PP TOI / game, and I would expect that to rise a minute or two in both areas. I could see Tkachuk above 18+ minutes per game with a full 3:00+ in PP time per night easily put up a 30-30 season with massive shots, hits, and PIM. He could be one of the best multi-cat players as soon as this season.

Chabot is already averaging big minutes and feasting on PP assignments, so I'm gonna peg him around 60 points again. He finished last season with 55 in 70 games played, and with some natural progression and a full, healthy season with Tkachuk, Batherson, White, etc. I think that 60 points is a reasonable target for a guy in that position. It's so hard to project with Dmen, but he does appear to be one of the few guys who could potentially crack 70 points at some time in the future, but I think we might be a couple seasons away from that kind of production in Ottawa.

Finally, I chose Batherson here to make things a little interesting. I think the smart money would be on someone like Colin White putting up 50+ points by virtue of the plum assignments, lots of ice time, and consistent deployment with the team's best wingers at 5v5 and on the PP, but I just feel like Batherson is going to surprise some people. He put up 9 points in a limited sample of 20 games, playing just over 13 minutes per night with about 2:00 on the PP. With some slightly increased usage, thinking closer to 15-16 minutes per game with about 2:30 or so on the PP, we could be looking at a 50-point player as soon as this year. If he gets the consistent deployment with Tkachuk and is featured on the PP1 unit, I see no reason why this player can't continue his precocious trend of development.

Tkachuk - 60-62 points
    Chabot - 58-60 points
    Batherson - 50-52 points

Dobber Sports Genius

How many players score 40+ NHL goals this year and what are their names?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Genius

How many points will PK Subban put up this year?

Who scores more goals - Boeser or Debrincat?
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Titan

As a Pittsburgh follower, how do you think the winger carousel will shake out this season? Specifically interested in McCann.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    How many players score 40+ NHL goals this year and what are their names?
    I haven't really gone through and done any kind of detailed projections, but I'll give this a shot:

Ovechkin, McDavid, Tavares, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Kucherov, Stamkos, DeBrincat, Guentzel, Pastrnak, Laine. I'll say 11 for now, but if I think of any others I'll add them to the list.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    How many points will PK Subban put up this year?

Who scores more goals - Boeser or Debrincat?
    I like P.K. for about 55 points with what they've got going in NJ. He's certain to be featured heavily on PP1 and the talent surrounding him will be elite.

I think I'll give the edge to DeBrincat for now, but Boeser could make it interesting. I just feel like you gotta go DeBrincat given that he's already a 40-goal scorer in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    As a Pittsburgh follower, how do you think the winger carousel will shake out this season? Specifically interested in McCann.
    McCann-Crosby-Guentzel
    Galchenyuk-Malkin-Kahun
    Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
    Tanev-Blueger-ZAR

I think this is the best combination of forwards they can go with, Rust is probably going to be a cap dump (hopefully with Jack Johnson, too). I'm still hoping the Penguins can make a pitch for Jake Gardiner and really round out the top-four of their defense. As a bonus, I'll include D pairs and likely PP stuff:

Dumoulin-Letang
    Pettersson-Schultz
    Johnson-Gudbranson

If Pittsburgh can manage to dump Johnson and sign Gardiner, I'd use this -- which I think is light years ahead of what they're planning on going with in 2019-20:
    Gardiner-Letang
    Dumoulin-Schultz
    Pettersson-Gudbranson

As for the PP1, I think Jake does mostly get on full time but as I mentioned in the other thread, there are some obstacles. My gut says they work something out with 4 forwards, but another part of me thinks they may end up using 3F-2D because of all the shorthanded opportunities they conceded last year. I could see Letang sliding into Schultz's spot while Schultz mans the point, and in that scenario we may see Crosby-Malkin with Hornqvist occupying the net-front role. It's really up in the air when it comes to those PP deployments.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Love this as a first question because Trocheck was born in the town I'm from, a suburb south of Pittsburgh.
    Cool to see another South Hills-er - Trochek's uncle was my graphic design teacher at Baldwin.

How big a year is Niederreiter going to have? Similar to last season's numbers with Carolina? Currently considering him or Koskinen as my final keeper. Goalies in my league are tough to come by
    10 Teams, Keep 15

H2H Categories: G, A, PPP, Hits, Blks, SOG -- W, GAA, SV%, SVs

3C - MacKinnon, Barkov, Vilardi (RW), Bennett, W Johnston
    3LW - Fiala, Jenner, Byfield, Raymon
    3RW - Miller, Jarvis, Wilson [IR], Terry [IR], Kyrou
    5D - Fox, Q Hughes, Matheson, Letang, Doughty
    2F

2G (max 4) - Vasilevskiy, Woll, Daccord, Tarasov

8 Farm - L Hughes, M Knies, M Michkov, Z Benson, F Nazar, M Savoie, Dostal (G), Annunen (G)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    McCann-Crosby-Guentzel
    Galchenyuk-Malkin-Kahun
    Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
    Tanev-Blueger-ZAR

I think this is the best combination of forwards they can go with, Rust is probably going to be a cap dump (hopefully with Jack Johnson, too). I'm still hoping the Penguins can make a pitch for Jake Gardiner and really round out the top-four of their defense. As a bonus, I'll include D pairs and likely PP stuff:

Dumoulin-Letang
    Pettersson-Schultz
    Johnson-Gudbranson

If Pittsburgh can manage to dump Johnson and sign Gardiner, I'd use this -- which I think is light years ahead of what they're planning on going with in 2019-20:
    Gardiner-Letang
    Dumoulin-Schultz
    Pettersson-Gudbranson

As for the PP1, I think Jake does mostly get on full time but as I mentioned in the other thread, there are some obstacles. My gut says they work something out with 4 forwards, but another part of me thinks they may end up using 3F-2D because of all the shorthanded opportunities they conceded last year. I could see Letang sliding into Schultz's spot while Schultz mans the point, and in that scenario we may see Crosby-Malkin with Hornqvist occupying the net-front role. It's really up in the air when it comes to those PP deployments.
    you don't think ZAR ends up on Malkin's wing vs Kahun? Or is that a rotating slot. Can't help but think ZAR gets some top 6 time as well
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    you don't think ZAR ends up on Malkin's wing vs Kahun? Or is that a rotating slot. Can't help but think ZAR gets some top 6 time as well
    As much as ZAR may fit well there, he's also better suited to a bottom 6 role than Kahun is. So that might be part of the thinking.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by PittPens1787 View Post
    Cool to see another South Hills-er - Trochek's uncle was my graphic design teacher at Baldwin.

How big a year is Niederreiter going to have? Similar to last season's numbers with Carolina? Currently considering him or Koskinen as my final keeper. Goalies in my league are tough to come by
    My dad actually graduated from Baldwin high school, so I'm familiar with the area

I'm having the same issue projecting Nino, as I'm considering him as a keeper in the league in my signature. I'm choosing between him and Greiss, so the decision is a little bit easier for me, but it's a similar question. I don't really love Koskinen but he's the starter for Edmonton, and that carries some value. Nino played about 18 minutes per game when he arrived in Carolina, and played mostly as a pairing with Aho. Their production and underlying results were very successful, so there is some hope that Nino continues to get first line deployment with Aho into the future. The question is: does Svechnikov's development eat into those minutes, and does Aho end up spending most of his 5v5 ice time with Svech-Teravainen.

I've heard a couple times that the organization seems to like Svechnikov-Necas as a tandem in their long-term plans, which would free up Nino to stay alongside Aho. I think right now I'm willing to bet that Niederreiter can be a 65-point player with even some additional upside playing consistent minutes with Aho at 5v5 and on PP1. There's certainly some downside potential if he falls out of that assignment, but he's got very strong possession and shot metrics, and he was a boon to Aho's production as well. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now that he can continue his "Carolina" production.

If that's more valuable to you than Koskinen, then I think you'd be justified keeping him over the goalie option. You've already got Vasilevskiy and Andersen, and your winger depth, especially RW eligibles, is a bit lacking relative to other positions.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    As much as ZAR may fit well there, he's also better suited to a bottom 6 role than Kahun is. So that might be part of the thinking.
    Partly that, partly the fact that Kahun has already had some offensive success in the NHL, and partly the fact that the Penguins gave up an arguable top-four Dman to acquire him. They're invested in making that transaction look smart. I think rolling out a fourth line of Tanev-Blueger-ZAR gives you a couple swift skating bash brothers with Blueger and ZAR in particular having a bit of offensive upside. These three guys all have quality defensive impacts in terms of scoring chance and shot suppression, and the wingers bring a very physical component. Both guys paced for well over 200 hits. I get the feeling Rutherford really likes that.

Dobber Sports Stud

Do you like pineapple pizza?
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.