Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prospect report: unranked goalies

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Prospect report: unranked goalies

Hello

I'm wondering if anyone has recent infos on these goalies that weren't profiled in the 19/20 Prospect Report? How are they developing, are they worth owning, where do you rank them? Thanks

Matt Galajda
    Jacob Ingham
    Kyle Keyser
    Alex Lyon
    Kevin Mandolese
    Kirill Ustimenko

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Prospect report: unranked goalies

The only ones I'd be tempted to own would be Ustimenko, Keyser, and Lyon but even those guys are long shots at best.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Goalies are a crap shoot, need to be deep leagues to carry these guys - Lyon, Ustimenko
    thats why long shots, probably dont cost you anything.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

The Great One

I'd recommend reading profiles from dobber prospects, which are updated from time to time.

For example, it would tell you something like: Keyser is the 2nd ranked goalie in Boston's system, whereas Mandolese is not even ranked (and behind Gustavsson, Hogberg, Sogberg and Daccord). One is a hail Mary, long shot and the other is not ever on the radar for even deep leagues.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Keyser is the 2nd ranked goalie in Boston's system
    That's interesting, as in the Report he's not even profiled, thus seems to be #3 behind Swayman and Vladar

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Irriducibile11 View Post
    That's interesting, as in the Report he's not even profiled, thus seems to be #3 behind Swayman and Vladar
    Apples and oranges I think. Dobber's ranking (and hence, I believe prospect report) tends to give weight to really high-end prospects plus those that are closest to the NHL. The writer's at Dobber's Prospects don't necessarily follow the same criteria. Vlader has a season in the AHL under his belt, Keyser is still in juniors. The reason I recommend reading Dobber's prospects site (and other sources) is to get other opinions and upside on these kids.

Lastly, how deep is your league. It's really hard to say whether any of these goalies are worth owning when we don't know how many players are rostered.

As an example, I'm in a leagues that have 12 teams x 50 players (30 pros, 20 prospects) = 600 players. None of those goalies are owned.

I'm also in an 18 team league, with 24 pros, 30 minors. Keyser and Ustimenko are owned; Lyon was formerly owned but dropped, and the other three have never been owned (and I suspect never will be owned). So unless your league rosters more than 540 prospects, most of these guys are likely not worth owning.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Lastly, how deep is your league. It's really hard to say whether any of these goalies are worth owning when we don't know how many players are rostered.
    12 teams x 23 players = 276. Full keeper. Every year there's a 3-round prospect draft, usually with a crazy goalie run. My currently top-3 ranked "leftovers", (i.e. not counting 2019 draftees, as they haven't yet been eligible), are Ian Scott, Kevin Lankinen and Veini Vehvilainen. Among the owned players are names like Hunter Miska, Tomas Vomacka, Roman Durny, Keith Petruzzelli, Matiss Kivlenieks and Ivan Nalimov and Matthew Villalta. I think that says it all...
    So I really have to dig deep, it's just how the league has developed.

most of these guys are likely not worth owning.
    Neither was Binnington 12 months ago, so you never really know with goalies...

Dobber Sports Deity

McIntyre was one of the best goalies in the AHL at various times in the Boston system too.

Wheres he at now? Rhetorical question of course
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

12 teams x 23 players = 276. Full keeper. Every year there's a 3-round prospect draft, usually with a crazy goalie run. My currently top-3 ranked "leftovers", (i.e. not counting 2019 draftees, as they haven't yet been eligible), are Ian Scott, Kevin Lankinen and Veini Vehvilainen. Among the owned players are names like Hunter Miska, Tomas Vomacka, Roman Durny, Keith Petruzzelli, Matiss Kivlenieks and Ivan Nalimov and Matthew Villalta. I think that says it all...
    So I really have to dig deep, it's just how the league has developed.
    Neither was Binnington 12 months ago, so you never really know with goalies...
    While not many saw Binnington coming on the way he did, he was still owned in many deeper leagues (because Jake Allen has never put it together), and Binnington was an AHL goalie with very good numbers. Granted, most people assumed it would be Husso next in line.

I'm just completely confused that in a league like yours somebody like Roman Durny is owned. Elite propsects has him 8th on Anaheim's depth chart. Clearly I'm missing something about your league as the goalies getting rostered makes absolutely no sense to me.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Granted, most people assumed it would be Husso next in line.
    Yes, I was one of them. I traded D.Strome and a draft pick* for him and the start of last season (*would've used it for Evan Bouchard). So in the end my move was right, but I still ended up being wrong.
    To add more irony to the story: when the unowned Binnington was first called up, I was the first to jump on him. Unfortunately, stupid me let him go too early because he had two bad relief starts (and I think I had players coming back from IR). After that, I never saw him again.

I'm just completely confused that in a league like yours somebody like Roman Durny is owned
    Someone else also still owns Niklas Svedberg and stubbornly refuses to drop him...

The Great One

Yes, I was one of them. I traded D.Strome and a draft pick* for him and the start of last season (*would've used it for Evan Bouchard). So in the end my move was right, but I still ended up being wrong.
    To add more irony to the story: when the unowned Binnington was first called up, I was the first to jump on him. Unfortunately, stupid me let him go too early because he had two bad relief starts (and I think I had players coming back from IR). After that, I never saw him again.

Someone else also still owns Niklas Svedberg and stubbornly refuses to drop him...
    Here's my basic question. If your league rosters 273 players, why are people drafting people that are likely outside the top 750? Do goalies count for 20 cats and skaters 1? There is a piece of the puzzle that I'm missing!

Dobber Sports Giant

Ustimenko is a total long shot, but he's someone about whom I've heard good things. He was still playing in the MHL as a 20 year old in Russia, so temper your expectations. Pretty sure he's coming to the AHL next season, so we'll see how he transitions to the NA pro game. Keyser is another interesting name, but it seems like he's behind Swayman even at this point. Lyon could be interesting, as he's had some consistent AHL success the past few seasons. He isn't too old, still 26 years old but organizationally he's not going to threaten Hart so there's a massive roadblock to success in his current situation. He's playing for a backup spot.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

For a 23 man total roster, you shoukd only be using a couple of slots for prospects. (Assuming each roster slot is potentially earning you stats/points each week)

Even then anything other than elite blue chips that are playing a full rookie season should be rostered. At worst maybe take a flyer on an International UFA or undrafted NCAA guy projected to earned 2nd tier minutes and a full season with opportunities.
    HFD 12 Team H2H
    G,A,P,+/-,PPP, PIM,HITS
    W,GAA,SV%,SO

Airdrie Analrapists

C O'Reilly, Zibanejad, Hischier
    LW Hall, Teravainen, Arvidsson.V
    RW Stone, Kessel, Laine
    UT RW Radulov, LW Gusev, RW W. Nylander
    D Burns, Dahlin, Dumba, Muzzin, Morrrisey, McNabb
    G Varlamov, Grubauer
    BN G Hutton, G Ullmark, W Bjorkstrand

Minors 25/25
    F Anderson-Dolan, Barré-Boulet, Batherson, Bemström, Dahlen, Fix-Wolansky, Gaudette, Greenway, Kahun, Kakko, Kaliyev, Kaprizov, Lindblom.O, Luff, Mattheos, N Robertson, Terry. T, Thomas. A
    D Hague, Jokiharju, Persson, Wilde, Woo
    G Berdin, Sarek, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Here's my basic question. If your league rosters 273 players, why are people drafting people that are likely outside the top 750? Do goalies count for 20 cats and skaters 1? There is a piece of the puzzle that I'm missing!
    I don't know. It's just how it has developed, there's always a crazy goalie run. Maybe because it's so tough to evaluate them, some managers think "if 1 out of 5 pans out I'm happy".

Maybe it's also because it's a full keeper. So each year we draft 36 new prospects and the sizes of the farms keep increasing.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So each year we draft 36 new prospects and the sizes of the farms keep increasing.
    This is the key piece Als was looking for I’m assuming. When you get new prospects that you keep every year your F\D depth gets deep pretty fast so why not take swings on the next superstar goalie. Every format is different and your goalie market definitely seems unique. It’s not a surprise your format has developed into that.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey