Thread: Boqvist: Yay-qvist or No-qvist??

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Boqvist: Yay-qvist or No-qvist??

Apparently this kid really impressed at development camp.
    Is he turning prop this season?
    Any chance he actually makes the Hawks roster?
    If so, how long before he supplants Gustafsson for 1st PP minutes?
    Or is he simply the next Ryan Murphy?
    Is Gustafsson part of Chicago's long-term plans?
    Is this enough questions for one post??

Just trying to gauge Boqvist's arrival time.
    While I'm currently in a rebuild, I have quite a few youngsters already and I'm not sure if I wanna wait another 2-3 years for this one to blossom.

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Boqvist: Yay-qvist or No-qvist??

At this point, I will be surprised if he makes the opening night roster. They have a lot of guys signed that he would have to climb over. Keith, Seabrook, Gustaffson, Maatta, de Haan, Murphy are all locks so bringing him into a bottom pairing situation and most likely a press box more times than not doesn't make much sense for his development.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Barring a rash of injuries, not this year. Chicago can afford to let him simmer another season.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Too many 1-way contracts for him to climb over in one camp. He doesn't need waivers so he's an easy demotion.
    Nothing wrong with a few months in the AHL to get use to the pro's.

If Gus repeats last year. He should be part of Chi's long term plans... but odds are he'll have priced himself out.

It could be 2-4 years (see Theodore) before Boqvist is ready for PP1 duties - regardless of Gus.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

These fellas are spot-on in terms of the likelihood of Boqvist getting minutes this year. Those prospects are slim unless there is a significant injury which is definitely possible since Keith has had knee issues, Murphy has missed time with a bad back and newly acquired de Haan and Maata are often dinged up. Now that Jokiharju is gone, the path for Boqvist to play this season is more likely however. So I would keep a close eye on the situation in camp. If Boqvist continues to shine, he could get a call-up if someone is out for an extended amount of time. The Hawks also have Koekkoek and Dahlstrom who are #7 defensemen. The Hawks will only call up Boqvist if they are going to play him substantial minutes.

This is most likely Gustafsson's last year in Chicago. The Hawks will need to clear somewhere around 12 million to sign Debrincat and Strome next offseason so to give Gus a 4-5 million dollar raise will be extremely difficult. Once Gus is gone, there is no real competition for the PP1 spot. Keith has never been a skilled PPQB and he will be 37 next season. Plus, Q is no longer around to give PP1 slots to veterans who "deserve" the spot due to their stature on the club. There's a belief among Hawk insiders that Boqvist could replace Gustafsson on the PP right now without much dropoff. I tend to agree with them. Gus did make the PP go last season but that is also an indictment of how poor Keith is on the PP. Any competent PPQB would have greatly improved the Hawks PP over what they did with Keith on the point.

Overall, I think it will be a 1-2 year wait for Boqvist. He greatly improved last year and answered the questions people had of him when drafted. He has improved his defensive play where he shouldn't be a liability in his own end and has had no concussion issues. Along with Dach, Boqvist was the star of the Hawks recent prospect camp. And many people don't realize that he is still 18. He turns 19 next month. I just traded Barrett Hayton for him straight-up in a dynasty league. A little overpay according to rankings but I think Boqvist has a good shot at being a star.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    These fellas are spot-on in terms of the likelihood of Boqvist getting minutes this year. Those prospects are slim unless there is a significant injury which is definitely possible since Keith has had knee issues, Murphy has missed time with a bad back and newly acquired de Haan and Maata are often dinged up. Now that Jokiharju is gone, the path for Boqvist to play this season is more likely however. So I would keep a close eye on the situation in camp. If Boqvist continues to shine, he could get a call-up if someone is out for an extended amount of time. The Hawks also have Koekkoek and Dahlstrom who are #7 defensemen. The Hawks will only call up Boqvist if they are going to play him substantial minutes.

This is most likely Gustafsson's last year in Chicago. The Hawks will need to clear somewhere around 12 million to sign Debrincat and Strome next offseason so to give Gus a 4-5 million dollar raise will be extremely difficult. Once Gus is gone, there is no real competition for the PP1 spot. Keith has never been a skilled PPQB and he will be 37 next season. Plus, Q is no longer around to give PP1 slots to veterans who "deserve" the spot due to their stature on the club. There's a belief among Hawk insiders that Boqvist could replace Gustafsson on the PP right now without much dropoff. I tend to agree with them. Gus did make the PP go last season but that is also an indictment of how poor Keith is on the PP. Any competent PPQB would have greatly improved the Hawks PP over what they did with Keith on the point.

Overall, I think it will be a 1-2 year wait for Boqvist. He greatly improved last year and answered the questions people had of him when drafted. He has improved his defensive play where he shouldn't be a liability in his own end and has had no concussion issues. Along with Dach, Boqvist was the star of the Hawks recent prospect camp. And many people don't realize that he is still 18. He turns 19 next month. I just traded Barrett Hayton for him straight-up in a dynasty league. A little overpay according to rankings but I think Boqvist has a good shot at being a star.
    Great post, can't really disagree with much here although I think Chicago would love to make something work with Gustafsson. He's a very good offensive defenseman with great PP metrics to boot, and I'm sure the Hawks would love to lock him up for a reasonable AAV, but I would imagine he's betting on himself to have another big season with no real competition for top-pair and PP1 minutes. My guess is that Gustafsson is looking for the big payday, and who can blame him?
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Great post, can't really disagree with much here although I think Chicago would love to make something work with Gustafsson. He's a very good offensive defenseman with great PP metrics to boot, and I'm sure the Hawks would love to lock him up for a reasonable AAV, but I would imagine he's betting on himself to have another big season with no real competition for top-pair and PP1 minutes. My guess is that Gustafsson is looking for the big payday, and who can blame him?
    There has been nothing mentioned about Gustafsson's next contract this offseason. I suspect the Hawks approached him but the number was so high they decided to wait. This is the reason I advocated they trade him this offseason. Granted, this was before the Jokiharju trade. Most Hawk fans realize that Gus is likely gone after this season.

The reason the Hawks will be hard-pressed to resign him is because of the RFA extensions due to Debrincat and Strome. It will take somewhere around 12 M of current cap space to sign them long term. Saad, 6 M or so spent in goal, and a trade of one of Murphy, Maata, de Haan, or Shaw will need to go to resign those two. The Hawks could save by signing Strome to a bridge or trading him. The Hawks do not have a history of playing hardball with their RFAs so expect either an above market-rate deal or a trade. So getting to Gus, they would need to clear an additional 5+ million for him. So that would be trading 2 of the players above. In conclusion, to sign Debrincat, Strome, and Gus to long-term deals next summer the Hawks would have to move Saad, Crawford or Lehner, and 3 of Murphy, Maata, de Haan, or Shaw. Now add in the fact that Boqvist should be ready to play in 2020 at his entry level deal and that is why it is likely that Gus is gone after this season. If it wasn't for that Seabrook albatross contract.....
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

There has been nothing mentioned about Gustafsson's next contract this offseason. I suspect the Hawks approached him but the number was so high they decided to wait. This is the reason I advocated they trade him this offseason. Granted, this was before the Jokiharju trade. Most Hawk fans realize that Gus is likely gone after this season.

The reason the Hawks will be hard-pressed to resign him is because of the RFA extensions due to Debrincat and Strome. It will take somewhere around 12 M of current cap space to sign them long term. Saad, 6 M or so spent in goal, and a trade of one of Murphy, Maata, de Haan, or Shaw will need to go to resign those two. The Hawks could save by signing Strome to a bridge or trading him. The Hawks do not have a history of playing hardball with their RFAs so expect either an above market-rate deal or a trade. So getting to Gus, they would need to clear an additional 5+ million for him. So that would be trading 2 of the players above. In conclusion, to sign Debrincat, Strome, and Gus to long-term deals next summer the Hawks would have to move Saad, Crawford or Lehner, and 3 of Murphy, Maata, de Haan, or Shaw. Now add in the fact that Boqvist should be ready to play in 2020 at his entry level deal and that is why it is likely that Gus is gone after this season. If it wasn't for that Seabrook albatross contract.....
    Probably one of the worst contract in hockey today, and you still got five more years of it. Ugh. Not completely immovable, but its a tough one for sure.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Crawford, Lehner have 1yr under contract remaining. Saad 2. I can see them letting Crawford walk and locking Lehner up longer term 2-4 years if he has a solid season.

Those Dmen become more expendable as their plethora of young D become more ready to step in. If I'm Chi. I'd want to hold onto a found 60pt Dman.
    But I also expect him to ask for Barrie type money - and the rumoured ask there is $8m per season.

I would be working as hard as possible this summer to lock Strome up on a long term deal with a lower cap hit. Don't want him going off for 75+pts and bumping his hit by 2m. Which is exactly the rationale his Agent would use in suggesting he wait on signing until next summer.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Great feedback, as always. Thanks for this.
    I might try to draft both Gustafsson AND Boqvist as they're both currently available.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Probably one of the worst contract in hockey today, and you still got five more years of it. Ugh. Not completely immovable, but its a tough one for sure.
    I'd say it's probably the worst contract in the league at this point. Lucic, at the very least, does have some positive defensive impacts and isn't entirely useless in a limited role. Seabrook is just an insanely bad player pretty much across the board, and he's signed five more seasons at $6.875 million WITH a full NMC until 2022-23. At that point he submits a 5-team list of teams to which he can be traded, and the following season (23-24) he submits a 10-team list. I suppose he provides a bit of offense, but absolutely bleeds chances and high danger ones at that. It's only going to get worse, which is a scary thought. And he's already 34, my goodness.

Woof.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I'd say it's probably the worst contract in the league at this point. Lucic, at the very least, does have some positive defensive impacts and isn't entirely useless in a limited role. Seabrook is just an insanely bad player pretty much across the board, and he's signed five more seasons at $6.875 million WITH a full NMC until 2022-23. At that point he submits a 5-team list of teams to which he can be traded, and the following season (23-24) he submits a 10-team list. I suppose he provides a bit of offense, but absolutely bleeds chances and high danger ones at that. It's only going to get worse, which is a scary thought. And he's already 34, my goodness.

Woof.
    I made the argument last summer that it was the worst contract in the league and that was before last season when his WAR and GAR were bottom-5 worst in the league. Besides the brutal 6.8 M cap hit for 5 more years, the yearly signing bonus structure gives a traditional buyout very little relief. If he bought out after next season his cap hit savings would be for the following 4 seasons: 300K, 3 M, 300K, and 1.7 M followed by 4 years of a 700K cap hit. Like mounD said, he has a full no-movement clause AND he'll have to be protected in the Seattle expansion draft. Hawk fans hated this contract the moment it was signed and it has only gotten worse. Easily the worst move in Bowman's tenure with the Hawks and the biggest factor in the demise of the Hawks since their last Cup.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I made the argument last summer that it was the worst contract in the league and that was before last season when his WAR and GAR were bottom-5 worst in the league. Besides the brutal 6.8 M cap hit for 5 more years, the yearly signing bonus structure gives a traditional buyout very little relief. If he bought out after next season his cap hit savings would be for the following 4 seasons: 300K, 3 M, 300K, and 1.7 M followed by 4 years of a 700K cap hit. Like mounD said, he has a full no-movement clause AND he'll have to be protected in the Seattle expansion draft. Hawk fans hated this contract the moment it was signed and it has only gotten worse. Easily the worst move in Bowman's tenure with the Hawks and the biggest factor in the demise of the Hawks since their last Cup.
    The problem is - he stays healthy. He's still a horse.. an old, slow horse.
    At this point it's still difficult to create an argument to ship him off to Robidas Island or to ski with Lupul.
    Ideally, that's what happens -- and before they have to move Gustafsson as a result

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    The problem is - he stays healthy. He's still a horse.. an old, slow horse.
    At this point it's still difficult to create an argument to ship him off to Robidas Island or to ski with Lupul.
    Ideally, that's what happens -- and before they have to move Gustafsson as a result
    The best hope for Chicago is that there's a compliance buy-out as part of the next CBA. We just saw what it cost for 1 year of Marleau at 6.25.

Dobber Sports Giant

The best hope for Chicago is that there's a compliance buy-out as part of the next CBA. We just saw what it cost for 1 year of Marleau at 6.25.
    I'm positive the GMs will be pushing for them. We know they love to repeat the same mistakes and then ask for get-out-of-jail-free cards. Classic finance capitalism. Just absolutely cannibalize whatever resources necessary and use your immense leverage to impose your will and ensure dominance in the future.