Thread: Evan Bouchard and the Holland factor

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Evan Bouchard and the Holland factor

Hey guys so I have the option to keep Bouchard in my limited keeper, points only.

I've seen opinions all over the map for this kid. A lot of people bullish that he will be a "bust" (comparative to expectations), and a lot of others consider him money in the bank to run a PP with McDavid sooner rather than later.

I'm wary of keeping him since my league is limited keepers and now that Holland is the GM in Edmonton I can easily imagine them bringing players along more patiently than in the past. Probably good for the player, but bad for my league settings.

However, I'm thin on blue-chip D prospects (actually they're just hard to find in general, as we're all well aware). I'm tempted to hold Bouchard.

Any thoughts on this guy going forward, and what type of player he'll become?
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

The Great One

Default Re: Evan Bouchard and the Holland factor

I think you summed up Bouchard's situation perfectly...that is, he is a boom or bust player. I don't think anyone really knows for sure what will become of him, but the potential is there for him to become a valuable asset. If I owned him, I'd certainly keep him unless I was forced to choose between him and another high-end prospect.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

Holland softened on that 'over-cook' prospect approach over the past couple years. Larkin made the jump immediately and Zadina got a cup of coffee.

If he earns it... he'll play.

I don't see him as a boom v. bust prospect. But PP1-QB & 50+pt 1st pair D vs. 3/4 & PP2 D is the potential range for him moving forward. I see him as something in between kinda like a Shattenkirk - 2nd pair - PPQB
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

Regarding Holland... it's easy to have a philosophy to bring prospects along slowly when the roster is so damn good. Or in the case of his later Red Wings - when the roster is littered with overpaid one-way contracts. How much of that is philosophy and how much is circumstances? I think Bouchard will make his way up the depth chart quickly when he shows he's ready. It's on him.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

In a limited keeper, why would you even want to keep a prospect that might not even play this year in the NHL? Is the rest of your roster that weak? Im not a big fan of keeping NHL D in most cases, let along a prospect.

Can you fill in the holes to explain why he's even a consideration other than "you're think on blue chip D prospects".
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    In a limited keeper, why would you even want to keep a prospect that might not even play this year in the NHL? Is the rest of your roster that weak? Im not a big fan of keeping NHL D in most cases, let along a prospect.

Can you fill in the holes to explain why he's even a consideration other than "you're think on blue chip D prospects".
    This is my immediate thought as well. If you're even considering keeping Bouchard in a 10 team league where you keep seven players then you're going to have a rough year next season. Let's see your roster and perhaps we can give you a better idea moving forward.

This is not the time to keep Bouchard in a limited keeper. He's behind both Klefbom and Nurse and if he makes the team he will likely get a sheltered/limited ice-time role with some PP2 time. You should also be able to re-draft him easily in this setup. 200 players deep (10 teams and 20 players per team) he probably should be in free agency to start the season.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree with this. Assuming it is the league in your signature, I would be very surprised if you could not find a better keeper on your team. If you dropped him, I would be surprised if he was drafted in the first few rounds.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yeah, I get that.

First of all, its a salary cap league so a high scoring D man on ELC is one of the best pieces you can own.

Second, my roster is fairly weak. I would be debating between players that are probably re-draftable such as Trocheck, Klefbom, or Schmaltz.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Yeah, I get that.

First of all, its a salary cap league so a high scoring D man on ELC is one of the best pieces you can own.

Second, my roster is fairly weak. I would be debating between players that are probably re-draftable such as Trocheck, Klefbom, or Schmaltz.
    I'd keep all three of those guys over Bouchard for next season, cap or no cap. Like I mentioned, Bouchard should start as free agent fodder. Only if he starts scoring and getting great deployment in the first few weeks should he be added. He almost certainly won't be in the top 200 players next season in a points only league.

If you're really high on him and want to gamble take him with one of your final picks but I wouldn't even recommend that. If someone is willing to over draft him, then let them have him.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Yeah, I get that.

You dont even know if hes going to be a high scoring Dman or not. You are wasting a roster spot on a maybe and that maybe may not even play a game this year.

It's your team, and you know your league best, but in limited keepers, I rarely recommend keeping defensemen unless you are forced to and even then, I cant imagine wanting to keep a D prospect.

You posted here because I assume you wanted advice on what to do. I dont think you will find too many who will advise you to do this. Crazy talk.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

He isnt worth keeping in a keep 80 league. Keep 260 sure.

Dobber Sports Veteran

You dont even know if hes going to be a high scoring Dman or not. You are wasting a roster spot on a maybe and that maybe may not even play a game this year.

It's your team, and you know your league best, but in limited keepers, I rarely recommend keeping defensemen unless you are forced to and even then, I cant imagine wanting to keep a D prospect.

You posted here because I assume you wanted advice on what to do. I dont think you will find too many who will advise you to do this. Crazy talk.
    Cool. I definitely posted because want advice on what to do - I think my orignal post communicated that. Not sure if it seemed otherwise?

Thanks for the advice everybody, definitely feel reinforced that I shouldn't be worrying about keeping him.

I think I was considering it based on the chance of missing out on a really good prospect going forward and it's not unheard of in my league to keep one prospect-level player.

But the reason I made this post was because I was also leaning towards him probably not playing in the NHL this year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think he'll be good

Dont keep in a keep 8

If you really like him, just draft him later

Dobber Sports Legend

My Spidey sense is tingling and it's not telling me good things about Bouchard.
    I'm not completely sure what it is exactly, but I can describe it as a mix between Bouchard's low-intensity and overly-soft personality...and the Oilers history of watching their picks never live up to the hype.
    Outside of McDavid and Draisaitl... all of the Oilers have underachieved for the most part.
    Hall was traded, Yakupov was a total fraud, MPS stunk, Eberle was good-not-great, Nurse is decent but not great, Pool Party looks lost and already wants a new start.
    I'm just not feeling it for Bouchard. However, the kid I get good vibes from is Broberg.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka