Thread: Gusev - How to rank vs. this years crop?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Gusev - How to rank vs. this years crop?

Entry draft upcoming this week. Obviously still a lot of question marks as to if he will be in the NHL this year, but looks promising for next year at least (which would still be ahead of the majority of 19' draftees).

Where do you guys have him in your rankings. Unfortunately, I don't pick until 14/15 and I'm not expecting him to be available there. I have been chatting with a few guys about moving up, but cost is too high right now.

I currently have him in the 4-7 range.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Gusev - How to rank vs. this years crop?

I don't think I would draft him ahead of any of Kakko, Hughes, or Turcotte. Probably Byram as well, given that he's got a ton of value around the fantasy hockey world right now. I'm thinking 4+ is a pretty good range for him.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He is obviously behind Hughes Kakko. But I am also struggling on how to rank him compared to th e rest of the draftees.
    In pts only, imo, Turcotte-Zegras-Byram-Caufield-Gusev are in a tier that is difficult to rank. I'm thinking that Gusev is the best bet to produce immediately, while the other draftees have the potential to surpass him in 3 years.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Legend

Gusev is top-5 based on skill alone. He could also contribute faster than anyone outside of Hughes & Kakko.

That said, is he a lock to play in the NHL this season? How about if the Knights can't deal him? Does he just flicker back to the KHL?

Long-term, I would rather have Caufield, Turcotte, Byram, and others--based on long-term upside and NHL certainty.

If Gusev gets moved, it will be the 2nd NHL team trading him without ever playing a game.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Padawan

If reports are true Gusev's agent has given Vegas a deadline to make a decision or else he's going to start negotiating with SKA for next season and maybe come back as a UFA next summer. I guess the camps in the KHL start in a few weeks and he wants an answer.

Knowing Vegas they'll screw him around and make him hate the NHL. That would be a shame.

Reserving any further Gusev projections until we know whether or not he's even on the continent in the fall.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    If reports are true Gusev's agent has given Vegas a deadline to make a decision or else he's going to start negotiating with SKA for next season and maybe come back as a UFA next summer. I guess the camps in the KHL start in a few weeks and he wants an answer.

Knowing Vegas they'll screw him around and make him hate the NHL. That would be a shame.

Reserving any further Gusev projections until we know whether or not he's even on the continent in the fall.
    Which still shocks me TBH.
    Skill-wise, this cat has all the tools to be a top-6 forward. He could make an impact like--or close to--Panarin when he came over.
    Not sure why two teams gave up on him. If he's only looking for 4 mil... that's reasonable considering teams like Philly are dishing out 7+ to Kevin Hayes.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Which still shocks me TBH.
    Skill-wise, this cat has all the tools to be a top-6 forward. He could make an impact like--or close to--Panarin when he came over.
    Not sure why two teams gave up on him. If he's only looking for 4 mil... that's reasonable considering teams like Philly are dishing out 7+ to Kevin Hayes.
    Of all the teams he could have come over to why did it have to be Vegas... The team that drove away one Russian and is apparently trying to do it again. If almost any other team had his rights this summer he'd probably be signed by now.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'll tell ya what, being an owner has me conflicted...

On one hand I feel like I should act now and sell high while theres buzz and hes ranked as the 5th best forward prospect and save myself the grief

On the other, I don't want to trade away the next Panarin at a discount

People are lowballing me consistently in the league where I put him on the block so I suppose I gotta hold...

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin_co View Post
    I'll tell ya what, being an owner has me conflicted...

On one hand I feel like I should act now and sell high while theres buzz and hes ranked as the 5th best forward prospect and save myself the grief

On the other, I don't want to trade away the next Panarin at a discount

People are lowballing me consistently in the league where I put him on the block so I suppose I gotta hold...
    Unless the return is tangible, I would hold. If you're getting "nothing" back anyway... might as well keep the Gusev lottery ticket.
    8-GM / WK-H2H