Thread: Matt Murray ranking?

The Great One

Default Matt Murray ranking?

Just wondering why he's so low on the goalie rankings. I mean I'm assuming it's due to injuries and Pittsburgh hypothetical decline. My main concern is that he's still the workhorse in Pittsburgh? DeSmith isn't like a 35 game guy is he?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Matt Murray ranking?

Murray is a top-10 keeper goalie, I think the only concern is potential injuries. I'm not ready to say he's an "injury-prone" guy yet since he's still so young, but he's dealt with his share of injuries in his young career. But the upside is incredible with this player. He's been top-10 league wide in Sv% for two out of his three seasons as and NHL starter, and in the other season he dealt with numerous injury issues and the death of his father. It was a challenging year for the kid, so I'm not really putting too much emphasis on those results. Otherwise, he's been pretty consistently awesome. He just turned 25 years old, and the Penguins still have another few years of being a top team, so I wouldn't really worry too much about his future or anything.

He's very good, and if your fellow GMs are not appropriately valuing him that could be an opportunity for you.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont see him as a top 10 keeper option simply because of his injury issues.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

The problem is health and a very good backup

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

As Dobber says, focus on the tiers, not the rankings. He's in Tier 2, which includes a whack of goalies that could be considered as high as 8th.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It also depends highly on the categories.

In my longest-term league, I view Murray as basically unrosterable due to the incredible variation in his performances and injury concerns. It's really mroe a "Goalie-Pittsburgh" issue, because Fleury was similar. That league is pure SV%, with a shutout bonus, and it counts a single game during the week.

In leagues that count Wins, or include Saves, he's better. I have him in the long-term dynasty league I joined last year as a replacement owner. I couldn't get any remotely comparable goalie for him, so I am stuck with him as my only real starter until more prospects and goalie flyers pan out. When he gets hurt, I normally lose all goalie cats.

Murray's backup is by default a 35ish game guy. Games not started by Murray the 3 years he's been the main starter: 32, 35, 37. That averages to 34.67.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Just wondering why he's so low on the goalie rankings. I mean I'm assuming it's due to injuries and Pittsburgh hypothetical decline. My main concern is that he's still the workhorse in Pittsburgh? DeSmith isn't like a 35 game guy is he?
    To answer this more directly, Murray has never been the workhorse at any level since turning pro. His career-high in the NHL is 50 games and it was 40 in the AHL. The rankings are based on the ability to get wins. At 50 games a guy's win potential is limited.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Murray will be leaned on more as Pittsburgh transitions from perennial playoff contender to just a team fighting for a playoff spot. Look for him to start 60+ games with the big IF he stays healthy.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont see him as a top 10 keeper option simply because of his injury issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The problem is health and a very good backup
    Injury, good backup and the potential decline in Pittsburgh.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​