Thread: Quick plus for Hronek plus?

The Great One

Default Quick plus for Hronek plus?

I'm a bigtime hronek fan and it's a dynasty/cap league so being in ELC this season and next is big.

That being said there's a good chance I sold low on quick. It's a 7 X 5 split in categories so starting goalies have a lot of value. In a capped dynasty (14 teams) a third obviously has a lot of value.

My quick and a 3rd in 2021
    For
    Hronek and Zacha

This makes hronek my one and only dman on the bench pushing heed to the farm (my other 5 are EK Krug Hamilton Ghost Gustaafson)- daily changes though so your bench gets into games. I probably couldn't afford quick and this outs Elvis mierzlikins in my lineup at a significant savings. I flipped zacha in a different deal (I'll post in another thread but the summary is- Toffoli Zacha Dugan for Coleman Olofsson and a 3rd in 2021).

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Quick plus for Hronek plus?

I like it for you. I will say that you sold Quick at his lowest value in recent memory, but Hronek is looking really good. He either should start on pp1 for the wings or will find himself there after Green eventually goes down injured. And if you are short on cap space, you probably wouldn't have a chance for him to reclaim some value with a strong start anyways.
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Giant

I think you probably sold low on Quick, but I'm a huge fan of Hronek as well. By the end of 19-20 he should have the PP1 gig all but locked up, and he's shown favorably in isolated-impact / RAPM type metrics, especially in terms of his defensive impacts (Def xG and Def CF impact). He's the future of that blue line.

You were able to shed a lot of cap, which is a nice element to this deal, and the fact that you've got Merzlikins waiting in the wings should help to negate any of the downgrade from losing Quick. I think given the cap savings and the fact that you acquired a high-upside youngster on a couple more years of ELC, you did pretty ok here despite selling Quick at low value.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

I like Hronek too...I wonder a bit about Cholowski, though. I've been reading a lot about these two and Detroit fans who follow the team much more than I do seem to think there's a chance Cholowski gets the PP gig and Hronek becomes more of an all-around, minute-eating, top line defenseman.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I like Hronek too...I wonder a bit about Cholowski, though. I've been reading a lot about these two and Detroit fans who follow the team much more than I do seem to think there's a chance Cholowski gets the PP gig and Hronek becomes more of an all-around, minute-eating, top line defenseman.
    That could make sense for Detroit. This chart just shows 5v5 impacts, but I think Cholowski did have a higher GF impact on the PP, despite both players having pretty average xG in that situation. But I certainly think Hronek could have more of a future as an all-around type Dman who thrives in multi-category leagues.

hronek-cholowski.png
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    That could make sense for Detroit. This chart just shows 5v5 impacts, but I think Cholowski did have a higher GF impact on the PP, despite both players having pretty average xG in that situation. But I certainly think Hronek could have more of a future as an all-around type Dman who thrives in multi-category leagues.

hronek-cholowski.png
    We won't know how it will play out next year and beyond...neither player has played enough NHL games yet for the data to draw us a clear picture.

That said, we know that teams often rest their best "all-around" dman on the PP and put out someone who has some offensive skill but is a little less reliable at even strength. Classic asset management and helps limit the ice-time for the top dman on the team.

Because of Hronek's age, I don't think he is yet ready to be someone like Doughty or Giordano who can play 25-30 minutes a night as well as run the top PP unit. Maybe someday, but in the short-term I could see them limiting his ice time a little bit by putting Cholowski on the PP.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Grand Master

You didn't need Quick with that bench, and Elvis' cheap salary will let you spot start him as needed. Nice move.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.