Thread: Any future for Kuemper?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Any future for Kuemper?

Hey guys,

Do you see any future for Darcy Kuemper other than lifetime backup? His season last year was so damn good and he's had some decent numbers in the past and is only 29 but has that really moved the needle on his career potential or should I assume he's just another capable 1B type goalie that is unlikely to ever seize a clear starting job.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Any future for Kuemper?

I think at best he becomes Elliott in his prime. A solid guy who can start 40 games for you in a season, but you want to have another solid guy around to start your other 40. This past season was probably his value peak for fantasy.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think at best he becomes Elliott in his prime. A solid guy who can start 40 games for you in a season, but you want to have another solid guy around to start your other 40. This past season was probably his value peak for fantasy.
    Pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Appreciate the quick responses and I like that Elliott comparison a lot, had almost completely forgot about him, hehe.

Administrator

Of course there's a future for Kuemper. I'd say there's a good chance he plays more than Raanta this upcoming season.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Of course there's a future for Kuemper. I'd say there's a good chance he plays more than Raanta this upcoming season.
    If there is injury of course, which is a great possibility. Raanta wasn't signed and paid what he is to be a backup. Unfortunately, pay/salary factor into play time, even though that goalie might not be the "better" option all the time.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
    If there is injury of course, which is a great possibility. Raanta wasn't signed and paid what he is to be a backup. Unfortunately, pay/salary factor into play time, even though that goalie might not be the "better" option all the time.
    Salary does matter but if you look around the league there's plenty of backups that are earning good coin. It's no longer a league where backups are close to minimum wage.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Salary does matter but if you look around the league there's plenty of backups that are earning good coin. It's no longer a league where backups are close to minimum wage.
    This is true. And, the recent trend is to play/pay backups more to keep all goalies "fresh" for potential playoff runs. I think we see a lot of bonafide "starters" get around 45-50ish games and the backups 30-35ish games this year compared to the past. Seems to be the new trend. Theoretically, you could field a fantasy team of about 3 backups on the right teams and do well with the aforementioned theory.

Dobber Sports Titan

This is true. And, the recent trend is to play/pay backups more to keep all goalies "fresh" for potential playoff runs. I think we see a lot of bonafide "starters" get around 45-50ish games and the backups 30-35ish games this year compared to the past. Seems to be the new trend. Theoretically, you could field a fantasy team of about 3 backups on the right teams and do well with the aforementioned theory.
    Problem with that is you end up having to field one less skater.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Ask Jordan Binnington and Jake Allen how important salaries were last year with respect to playing time.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Kuemper could be a 1A/1B tandem guy, but that needs the right situation. I don't think he's quite as good as Elliott, but it's a reasonable comp for upside.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.