Thread: What is up with Dougie Hamilton?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default What is up with Dougie Hamilton?

I recently acquired Hamilton for Reinhart in a keeper roto league and am wondering what you guys think his future holds. He's been on 3 teams now and never really given the reins on the PP. Does this imply he's just not built to be a leading QB or that he's just always behind someone who does it better. I see him ranked highly on most fantasy lists but his opportunity seems quite limited, at least for now.

Do you think Hamilton stays with Carolina?

Point projections for next year?

Keeper value next 3-5 years. Hold him or deal him while his name value is still high.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: What is up with Dougie Hamilton?

To answer the actual questions:
    Yes
    Hold him, his value isn't going to drop, really it can only go up if he gets the PP1 slot.

I think he's a talented fantasy D that just hasn't put everything together with some luck over a full season yet. In the tier below guys like Carlson, Josi, Letang.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

I'm pretty high on him still. I believe 50 is achievable next year and for the next few...might not get to 50, but I feel his floor is low 40s, so he is a pretty safe option.

I don't think Faulk will be around much longer, so Hamilton's PP opportunities should increase.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Padawan

I also agree that he approaches a 50-point-pace next season provided he's given most of the 1st PP minutes. High volume shooter with huge pedigree and upside.
    Weird, because in my fantasy circles I've always gotten the impression that he's valued quite low. I acquired him before last season in a package that sent Leddy the other way. The deal was pretty even IMO but I just really happy to get Hamilton as he was the main target of my trade offers.
    I also think that Faulk leaves Carolina before Hamilton does.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would not only hold Dougie, but buy where you can.... The fact that he hasn't held down a PP1 anywhere actually might suppress his perceived value... if anything he is undervalued

For what its worth: Over the last 5 seasons, he is among only 6 Dmen with 70 or more goals - The others are Burns, OEL, Giordano, Weber and Josi.

And if your league counts shots, he's elite - 3rd most in the NHL amoung Dmen over last 5 yrs, behind only Burns and Josi.

All this tells me is, he's got more to go if/when he gets plum deployment

Also he's only 26... look what guys like Giordano and Burns can do at their age

I bought recently in a dynasty league and I'm thrilled to have him

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks guys, I feel much better about him after your responses. I loved him in Calgary and was hyped for his move to Carolina but I could not believe he played almost zero PP1 minutes and was stuck behind Faulk (who still somehow managed less points than Dougie). My concern is mostly that if he can't surpass Faulk naturally, what does that say about his true PP potential, at least under the current coach.

Dobber Sports Sage

He's primed to hit 50-60 as soon as he gets proper deployment. Faulk's leash has been long but Hamilton could force the issue even if faulk isn't traded. We know his floor, so worst case scenario (if deployment doesn't really change), we see another 40ish point season with good peripherals. I also love that he just turned 26, his best season is ahead of him. I'm a buyer as well.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Giant

Even low 40s production with his shot rates is incredibly valuable in certain types of leagues. He should get PP1 deployment eventually in Carolina, it's kind of perplexing that they're still trotting out Faulk as much as they have been. I think it's still a good time to buy Hamilton, he's still only 26 years old and there's definitely untapped upside just due to inconsistent deployment.

I think 50 points is definitely achievable, even without taking over the PP1 completely from Faulk. If he actually gets all the good offensive minutes and plum deployment, we're talking about a 60-point player. All of his underlying numbers are consistently filthy, and over a three-year sample he's actually drastically underperformed relative to his xG and CF on the powerplay, so there's definitely a lot of room for improvement. His xG and CF both at 5v5 and powerplay impacts are out of this world. Very, very underrated potential.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin_co View Post
    I would not only hold Dougie, but buy where you can.... The fact that he hasn't held down a PP1 anywhere actually might suppress his perceived value... if anything he is undervalued

For what its worth: Over the last 5 seasons, he is among only 6 Dmen with 70 or more goals - The others are Burns, OEL, Giordano, Weber and Josi.

And if your league counts shots, he's elite - 3rd most in the NHL amoung Dmen over last 5 yrs, behind only Burns and Josi.

All this tells me is, he's got more to go if/when he gets plum deployment

Also he's only 26... look what guys like Giordano and Burns can do at their age

I bought recently in a dynasty league and I'm thrilled to have him
    I agree with this completely. Is this you Randy? LOL

I have had these thoughts and I was holding onto him tightly in the league in my signature. A very knowledgeable GM kept trying to pry him away from me. He eventually made me an offer I could not refuse. Doughy, Skinner, Trocheck for Hamilton, Hintz, Haula, future 2nd round entry.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Master

I think he gets moved because gm's / coaches are expecting a bit more from him physically and I think teams aquiring him believe their coaching staff can steer him in that direction . In the isles-canes series I dont think he touched an isles forward until the tap to the head of brock nelson during the hand shakes when the series was over.