Thread: Krug Underrated in PO Leagues?

Dobber Sports Pro

Question Krug Underrated in PO Leagues?

I'm strongly thinking of choosing Krug as my final keeper this coming season (over Seguin or Tarasenko), but he's only listed as the 10th best defenceman keeper, behind the likes of Klingberg and Barrie (not that they're garbage by any means). I look at Krug's trajectory over the last few seasons and his points-per-game over this past season and playoffs especially, and I can't help but think he's going to keep rocking it for at least a few years to come. Am I crazy, or overvaluing him too much? Thanks for your thoughts!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Krug Underrated in PO Leagues?

Krug is a beast and definitely underrated but his time in Boston may be coming to an end. It's the last year of his deal and I expect he may leave in free agency next summer for a big raise (I don't see Boston trading him if they're in the playoff picture at all)

If he leaves that gravy deployment in Boston with Marchand, Pastrnak and Bergeron on the PP it's hard to say where he could go to maintain the kind of numbers he puts up right now. If you do keep him just keep in mind he will have another great season but after that it becomes very uncertain unless he somehow extends in Boston.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    Krug is a beast and definitely underrated but his time in Boston may be coming to an end. It's the last year of his deal and I expect he may leave in free agency next summer for a big raise (I don't see Boston trading him if they're in the playoff picture at all)

If he leaves that gravy deployment in Boston with Marchand, Pastrnak and Bergeron on the PP it's hard to say where he could go to maintain the kind of numbers he puts up right now. If you do keep him just keep in mind he will have another great season but after that it becomes very uncertain unless he somehow extends in Boston.
    Great point! He's got an enviable deployment right now. I plan to draft Jack Hughes first overall this year and will be adding him as a keeper in the future, so Krug may be the perfect one-year fill-in.
    G - Skinner

F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    B - Mateychuk

Big Daddy

Looking at your sig, I’d maybe keep him over Huberdeau but definitely not Seguin.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Looking at your sig, I’d maybe keep him over Huberdeau but definitely not Seguin.
    Yeah, I’m a little torn on Huberdeau. Top end LW are so much rarer than C’s that will get plenty of points. I’m trying to be balanced with keepers, but I don’t want to give away points either. Seguin is a tough call for me.
    G - Skinner

B - Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Giant

I happen to like your keepers with Krug in the mix. 60-point Dmen should have more relative value in points-only leagues than a 70-point winger or a 75-point center. Seguin derives a lot of his value from cross-category coverage, and leagues that favor goals and Shots. Ditto for Tarasenko. Without those elements to consider, their value diminishes significantly.

I would imagine it's much harder to acquire a 60-point Dman than a 70-point forward.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I happen to like your keepers with Krug in the mix. 60-point Dmen should have more relative value in points-only leagues than a 70-point winger or a 75-point center. Seguin derives a lot of his value from cross-category coverage, and leagues that favor goals and Shots. Ditto for Tarasenko. Without those elements to consider, their value diminishes significantly.

I would imagine it's much harder to acquire a 60-point Dman than a 70-point forward.
    That's exactly what I've been thinking, and why I think I've been successful in this league. I'm the only one who's ever kept 2 D, and I do it every single year (6 keepers total). You could even argue that a 60pt D-man is worth more than a 75pt F, as the drop-off that happens after the top D doesn't really happen with C's. It'll hurt a little to lose Seguin this year, but I'm drafting Jack Hughes anyways, and I don't want to be stuck keeping 3 C out of 6 keepers like I did last year.
    G - Skinner

B - Mateychuk