Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: NHL Mock Draft 2019 - Discussion

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: NHL Mock Draft 2019 - Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    I liked the Perron pick to close out !

NOW, I’ve got a 300-player draft upcoming, so who’s the “one” we badly missed? (For the ease of comparison, let’s pretend it’s the same categories and exclude GK’s.)
    Tyler Johnson?
    Robert Thomas?
    Eric Haula?
    Devon Toews?
    Pavel Buchnevich?
    .... or am I nuts??
    PH and I are putting out a survey soon with questions Iike this

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Monster

POST-DRAFT SURVEY

Which picks you feel really good about?

Which picks did you regret after making the pick/player you regret passing over?

Which players were you surprised weren't drafted?

Where you do think is the optimal place to draft in a 10-12 team league this year?

What position do you feel has the least amount of talent and that you should maybe try to fill up earlier this year?

What position do you feel is deeper and you could probably hold off on it for a bit this year?

Any suggestions for the Mock Draft next year?

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Monster

POST-DRAFT SURVEY

Which picks you feel really good about? - I don't know if I had one pick I thought was amazing. I went pretty skill heavy early on so I was glad to land Byfuglien and Weber to give my team some grit.

Which picks did you regret after making the pick/played you regret passing over? - I should have nabbed Greiss to get the NYI handcuff. I regret not taking Giroux before Svbetts did.

Which players were you surprised weren't drafted? - Quick. He was horrendous last year but still surprised nobody took a chance with the Kings hiring a new coach. But I understand he's got many red flags. I looked at him many times and would have drafted him if the guys I wanted weren't available.

Where you do think is the optimal place to draft in a 10-12 team league this year? - I like drafting mid-round.

What position do you feel has the least amount of talent and that you should maybe try to fill up earlier this year? - If you want high end goalies you need to pick early. There are many many crease battles this year. There is plenty of depth but a lot of it comes in tandem form.

What position do you feel is deeper and you could probably hold off on it for a bit this year? - Centers is the obvious one, but I also see a lot of very high end Dmen - you may not have to reach this year to get your stud Dmen.

Any suggestions for the Mock Draft next year? - Looking forward to any advice on this - a lot of people want us to do the draft on Fantrax but I like that the whole forum can follow along and comment as we go IMO.

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Stud

Ok, I’ll play this game.

My best feel-good picks were James Neal at #18, and Jake DeBrusk at #21.

Regret? Taylor Hall at #4. Shoulda nabbed Price.

Undrafted shockers? Tyler Johnson, Devon Toews. I only picked Schultz at #24 because I needed a Penguin.

Strongest/weakest by position?? Pass.

Suggestions? A) you guys did a fantastic job running this and posting onto Fantrax - NO changes as to “picks,” but B) have each GM be responsible to post a critique of completed rounds - first pick does 1st round, 2nd pick does 2nd round and so on - would spark more debate and comments as we go?? (ONLY discuss players chosen and not upcoming choices!)

And yeah, my next draft for ‘19-‘20 starts Saturday.....
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Big Daddy

Will try the survey later but I was surprised that Gardiner and Sanheim didn’t go on D.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    I liked the Perron pick to close out !

NOW, I’ve got a 300-player draft upcoming, so who’s the “one” we badly missed? (For the ease of comparison, let’s pretend it’s the same categories and exclude GK’s.)
    Tyler Johnson?
    Robert Thomas?
    Eric Haula?
    Devon Toews?
    Pavel Buchnevich?
    .... or am I nuts??
    I looked at TJ and Buchnevich a couple times when I was searching but to be honest, I didnt think they were great roto players so I didnt bother with them.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

Which picks you feel really good about? - Leon Draisaitl. I almost took him in the 1st round, 7th overall, but was pleasantly surprised he was still there for me in the 2nd.

Which picks did you regret after making the pick/player you regret passing over? Hard to say on this one. Maybe taking Rinne as early as I did, but there was a goalie run on and I wasnt going to go into this year with one stud (Vasilevskiy) and a mediocre 2nd goalie so I wanted to get another stud early. I also planned to grab Saros down the road to get the handcuff. I just wasnt sure how long to wait before grabbing him. I probably could have let him go to one of the last rounds as well instead of the 3rd last round but better to be safe than sorry.

Which players were you surprised weren't drafted? Probably Sanheim

Where you do think is the optimal place to draft in a 10-12 team league this year? I definitely like drafting in the middle of the pack.

What position do you feel has the least amount of talent and that you should maybe try to fill up earlier this year? Probably my D, but I am not sure I'd do things much differently. I like my all-around team to be honest. As I mentioned earlier, in hindsight, I should have drafted one less forward and one more D.

What position do you feel is deeper and you could probably hold off on it for a bit this year? In roto, it's harder to find deep positions because all three positions will have their studs and their duds. Goalies are always harder to judge simply because there's no picking up off waivers to deal with injuries so you need depth there.

Any suggestions for the Mock Draft next year? - I like drafting in the forums but I like the idea of drafting on Fantrax as well simply because it makes it easier for the guys running it. When you draft in fantrax, the picks automatically go on your roster so the Commish doesnt have to go behind the forum picks and add them. Maybe make it so after you draft your team, you go pick up your own players on fantrax. I am not sure.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I'll speak for the earlier picks that I had some input on:

POST-DRAFT SURVEY

The 2/3 Turn with Karlsson and Wheeler
    10 - Erik Gustavsson
    12 - Ryan Pulock

Great value in my eyes, and all of them are able to contribute across the board.

Which picks did you regret after making the pick/player you regret passing over?
    I think the Dubois pick, where Rask and Guentzel went right after.

A few good names listed already with Buch, Sanheim, Quick. I'll toss Ceci out as another one.

Where you do think is the optimal place to draft in a 10-12 team league this year?
    Last. If I could have had Marchand, Pasta, Malkin, and Tkachuk as my first four picks, and then in the middle rounds load up with Letang, Rask, M.Murray, S.Jones. That would be tough to beat.

What position do you feel has the least amount of talent and that you should maybe try to fill up earlier this year?
    I'm going to tangent a bit saying in past years I would usually focus more on getting a couple D in my first few picks, but I think the top couple tiers of Dmen are blending together and there's less of a difference between the guys picked in round 3 vs round 8-10. It's still a sharp drop after though.
    Getting two workhorse goalies is also going to be key.

What position do you feel is deeper and you could probably hold off on it for a bit this year? After getting a top few forwards, I always find there are so many undervalued wingers after pick 100 (Palmieri for example).

Switch to LW/RW/C vs. Fs
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Which picks you feel really good about? Toews in the 10th round. I maybe don't expect as much from him as last year... but I still think he is a top 75 roto player and to get him in the 10th round, I feel was good value.
    I was also happy to add significant point potential in the last round in David Krejci. I know for him to repeat 73 points is a long shot... but 50-60 points in last round, giving up peripherals is alright by me.

Which picks did you regret after making the pick/player you regret passing over? I regret taking Subban in the 6th round. I really expect big things from New Jersey this year, and lots of scoring and Subban to be on the top PP unit... but after I picked him I started thinking that I could have probably waited a round. I was trying to get cute and thinking everyone would overlook Jamie Benn for another round... I was foolish and Benn went the very next pick. I should have picked Benn because it was probably more likely that Subban would fall another round.

G - I am surprised that no one took a shot on either of the Edmonton goalies and said 'this is the year they get things going' I am thinking I will take a chance on Smith late in some of my drafts this year.
    D - Erik Johnson. There is a lot of scoring going to happen in Colorado this year... and a rookie D man is likely going to have ups and downs. Johnson could see some time on PP 1 when Makar is struggling... and guess what everyone... Johnson played 80 games last year and is +100 in both hits and blocks consistently.
    F- Jared McCann - Usually someone takes a chance on the guy that plays wing on Crosby's line...the last couple months last year he was scoring at a good pace and he had decent Shots and Hits totals.

Where you do think is the optimal place to draft in a 10-12 team league this year? I think this year you want to draft in the 9-10 range. Outside of the top two (Kucherov and McDavid), I think there is a tier of 8-10 guys that I would put at the same level... so If I can draft 9-10 (in a 10 team league) then I can ideally get two of the players in my 2nd tier.

What position do you feel has the least amount of talent and that you should maybe try to fill up earlier this year? Dollar for Dollar I think right wing is where the drop of in talent becomes larger as the draft goes on.

What position do you feel is deeper and you could probably hold off on it for a bit this year? I think D is a deeper position in a roto league like this... there maybe isn't as many of the top end guys that contribute across the board... but there are so many that will contribute significantly in hits and blocks that I wish I wouldn't have drafted Hedman, Josi and Subban in the first 6 rounds.

Any suggestions for the Mock Draft next year? -
    I like drafting in the forums but I like the idea of drafting on Fantrax as well simply because it makes it easier for the guys running it. When you draft in fantrax, the picks automatically go on your roster so the Commish doesnt have to go behind the forum picks and add them. Maybe make it so after you draft your team, you go pick up your own players on fantrax. I am not sure.
    In addition to Axeman's response (quoted)... I think we could run it in Fantrax... to help ensure rosters are updated... but also have people come on here and post there pick. It would be the exact opposite of this year.. but I think it would help everyone with the draft. The draft room and rosters would automatically update on the website... then anyone (doesn't have to be the guy that made the pick) can come into the forums and post the picks. I think this option might allow us to have the best of both worlds and would take a few steps out of the process for the guys having to enter everything into fantrax.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

My team:

Debrincat-McDavid-Point
    Gaudreau-Monahan-Domi
    Gourde-Hertl-Labanc
    Zucker-Backlund-R.Smith
    Bailey-Gusev

OEL-McDonough
    Heiskanen-Yandle
    Larsson-McNabb
    Hagg

Price-Holtby
    Greiss

McDavid-Gaudreau-Point-Price

Monahan-OEL-Heiskanen-Backlund

Manson(ANA) Quick(LA) Sanheim(PHI) Gardiner(UFA)
    Haula(CAR) Buchnevich(NYR) Thomas(STL)

2 or 3 is quite nice!!

Getting a solid Dman early could prove to be key.. But I honestly think their is value at every position in a multi-cat league..

What position do you feel is deeper and you could probably hold off on it for a bit this year?

Forwards are very plentiful!!

I like how it's run.. Why change such a good thing??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Monster

Which picks you feel really good about? - Jamie Benn

Which picks did you regret after making the pick/player you regret passing over? Forgetting to pick Cale Makar

Which players were you surprised weren't drafted? William Carrier

Where you do think is the optimal place to draft in a 10-12 team league this year? 1st or last

What position do you feel has the least amount of talent and that you should maybe try to fill up earlier this year? defence

What position do you feel is deeper and you could probably hold off on it for a bit this year? Donno, I hate drafting goalies.

Any suggestions for the Mock Draft next year? - No, I thought everything went great.

Prediction: I come 1st place and beat everyone by a mile.

Big Daddy

Duster Dave's Hockey Club Depth Chart:

KAne - MAtthews - Aho
    Larkin - O'Reilly - Nylander
    Connor - Getzlaf - Horvat
    Vrana - Staal - Athanasiou
    Coleman - Paquette - Kassian

Burns - Dahlin
    Pietrangelo - Ellis
    Gudas

Andersen
    Gibson
    Hark
    Halak

This is a tough one because I don't think I got any "steals". I guess I'd say the first few rounds worked out for me. I couldn't decide who to take in the 1st between Vasilevskiy and Burns but Axe sniped Vasilevskiy from me so made my decision much easier. So I was able to get a beast D-man while still getting a top tier goalie in Round 3 with Andersen. I wanted to go goalie back-to-back in Rounds 3-4 but pmorrow took Bobrovsky right after my Andersen pick which allowed me to draft Aho instead so I can't complain. Was happy to get E. Kane as well considering the categories.

Jake Gardiner. Decent fantasy D-man but maybe he was passed over because he isn't signed yet? Or because he is coming off an underwhelming season? Or his lingering back issues? Regardless, I thought he would have been drafted.
    Was also surprised no one took a chance of Travis Sanheim. I guess everyone is banking on a bounce back year from both of Provorov and Gostisbehere.

In any draft I like to draft on the wheel or close to it. So 8-10 range in a 10 team league or 10-12 in a 12 team league.

Goaltending. Idealy I'd like to get one of Vasilevskiy, Andersen or Bobrovsky in every league. I feel there is a considerable drop off after this trio. I am also not convinced how high Ben Bishop is going in some mocks. The NHL.com guys did a mock and someone took him 8th overall as the first goalie! Insanity!

As always the obvious answer is centre. Could make the argument for D-men too. There is a small elite top tier for D-man but I feel Tier 2 is the biggest its ever been.

Recruit earlier so we can get it back to 12 teams.
    Use C/LW/RW rather than F.
    Cap goalies at 3 max per team. Get rid of +/- as a category.
    Thanks, that was fun!
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Standings Update (November 21, 2019)

1. finny - 104.5
    2. DusterDave - 91.5
    3. Dr. Brad - 89.5
    4. The Also-Rans - 86.5
    5. PenguinHunter - 68.5
    6. StuntMan12 - 67.5
    6. Axeman33 - 67.5
    8. pmorrow - 67
    9. Zorro - 64.5
    10. GinFizz - 63
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Wooo, go Finny!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm remembering why I rarely do roto leagues. LOL