Thread: Rank these young defensemen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Rank these young defensemen

League Details: 32 team Dynasty, 81.5M Salary Cap, Start 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3 Bench, 27 Minors
    Skaters: G=5, A=3, D-PTS=1 (in addition), SHP=2, FOW=0.1 SOG/HITS/BLKS=0.5
    Goalies: W=6, SHO=6, SV=0.3, GA=-1.5, OTL=3

How would you rank the following for this year?

Fox
    Valimaki
    Hronek
    Sandin
    Boqvist
    Jokiharju
    Smith
    Fabbro

All seem to have a similar high end upside, so I'm more concerned with who sticks and succeeds in the NHL for this season

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Rank these young defensemen

Hronek is the clear choice from this list for the short term. Nobody else has as clear a path to meaningful deployment and PP minutes.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Hronek is the clear choice from this list for the short term. Nobody else has as clear a path to meaningful deployment and PP minutes.

I agree that Hronek is the clear choice for next year (and only next year), but I wouldn't totally discount Valimaki. He's already in the NHL so you never know what could happen. He definitely has the ability.
    Poor Jokiharju, a few days ago he would have been at the top of this list! Now he's the Sabres' number 5 dman.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Sage

For this season I'd go:

Hronek - 35+ pt potential
    Fox - 25+ pt potential
    Jokiharju - 20+ pt potential
    Valimaki - 20+ pt potential
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    I agree that Hronek is the clear choice for next year (and only next year), but I wouldn't totally discount Valimaki. He's already in the NHL so you never know what could happen. He definitely has the ability.
    Poor Jokiharju, a few days ago he would have been at the top of this list! Now he's the Sabres' number 5 dman.
    Even if Jokiharju was still on the Hawks, I would still have Hronek ahead of everyone else on this list for next season. Sure, a few of these guys have significant upside in the future, but Hronek is the only guy who is even going to sniff PP1 minutes next season. Fantasy success, especially for defensemen, is so tied in with deployment that he's the only guy in whom I'm reasonably confident for the upcoming season. He's arguably already near the top of the pecking order for PP minutes, even before the inevitable Mike Green injury.

Nobody else is even remotely in the same neighborhood for proximity to PP minutes. Maybe Valimaki or Fox if everything breaks right in their favor, but it's still really unlikely. Hronek played a good chunk of PP1 down the stretch last year, and finished at 23 points in 46 NHL games. As far as a long-term ranking goes ... your guess is as good as mine, but Hronek is the man for next season.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Titan

I'll add to the above that it looks like Fabbro will be sticking for the year, likely getting second pairing minutes. He played as the 5th Dman in the playoffs, and was part of the reason Poile felt comfortable enough to deal Subban. I'd expect some ups and downs, but something like 25 points in 75 games, mostly on the second pairing with Ekholm.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

For me, for this upcoming season, the only three on that list I am even confident with that will play a regular role will be Hronek, Valimaki and Fabbro. Thats how I'd have them ranked for this year as well.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."