Thread: Trade Hall?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trade Hall?

Hi all,

Follow-up to an older thread because the offer is now official (and Labanc has taken Morrissey's place as my last keeper): Would you trade Hall & Mittelstadt for a 3rd round pick (16 overall)? I know I know please read on...

Salary cap pts only keeper league in signature with current keeper choices in bold. I really like Hall and think he could have a monster season BUT he does have a long history of injuries and this is the last year on his current contract ($6M) so I would not be keeping him after this season.

I currently own the 1st overall pick which I will use on Jack Hughes. I also own picks 8 oa, 15, 20, 22.

I would replace Hall with either Kuznetsov ($7,8M) who has 6 years left on his contract and would probably remain a long term keeper or maybe even Morrissey ($3,15M) which I have high hopes for this upcoming season. The thing is I think I could also redraft both these players in the 3 first rounds.

Some interesting players available so far next draft : McDavid, Ovechkin, Tavares, O'Reilly, Kessel, Malkin, Carlson, Hedman, Letang, Hertl, Zibanejad, Mantha, Hronek, Girard

Any advice on who to draft with 8th overall? Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Trade Hall?

If you think you can go for the win this year, keep Hall. Even if not, keep him and flip him closer to the middle of the season to a contender for a better return.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Magnificent One

I get salary cap so hard to fill this all in but confused on why you are taking Hughes over McDavid????
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    If you think you can go for the win this year, keep Hall. Even if not, keep him and flip him closer to the middle of the season to a contender for a better return.

Thanks EB. That's what I'll probably do. I do think I have a good chance this upcoming year. I think I start to overthink everything in the long offseason plus trading is a part of fantasy hockey that I really enjoy. Guess I just need people to talk me off the Ledge.

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    I get salary cap so hard to fill this all in but confused on why you are taking Hughes over McDavid????
    Well in my pool everyone tends to stay away from the very high salaries. With only 7 teams it's much easier to get 2 good producers around 6M$ than McDavid and a very low salary player who will produce adequately. McDavid was owned and traded by 2 different GMs in the last 2 seasons. He was dropped completely last season.

That being said, if I draft the right players at the right salaries in the first couple rounds of next draft I might grab him. Much easier/safer to build the right team to include McDavid than to draft McDavid and then build around him and his $12,5M aav.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Padawan

No offense but that format probably needs to change or the salary cap needs increasing. If the best player in hockey is dropped to FA outright because nobody wants his contract it's pretty immersion breaking. Not to mention a lot more players are going to be signing $10-11M+ contracts so the FA pool is bound to start filling up with superstars.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    No offense but that format probably needs to change or the salary cap needs increasing. If the best player in hockey is dropped to FA outright because nobody wants his contract it's pretty immersion breaking. Not to mention a lot more players are going to be signing $10-11M+ contracts so the FA pool is bound to start filling up with superstars.
    100% agree. Well said.
    12 team dynasty, weekly H2H, daily starts
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 7 Bench - 23 player roster, unlimited farm system
    Cats - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, Hits, SOG, BS, W, GAA, S%, S and SO

C - Crosby, MacKinnion, Bergeron, Kopitar and Pageau
    LW - Marchand, Pacioretty, Nugent-Hopkins (C) and Vrana
    RW - Stone, Voracek, Duclair (LW), T. Wilson and Tanev (LW)
    D - Hedman, Doughty, Trouba, Weber and Giordano
    G - Holtby, Binnington, Quick and M. Koskinen
    Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov
    Picks - 2020 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    No offense taken.

I love our current setup as it requires a lot of work balancing out high, medium and low salaries to have a competitive team. McDavid CAN be owned and could work out but so far it hasn't worked out for those who tried and they found it was harder to manage the rest of the roster. In a salary cap league I'd much rather own two of Pastrnak, Hall, Huberdeau, Gaudreau, MacKinnon etc than McDavid and flip a coin on a low salary player option that could get me 60 pts or 30 pts.

As you mentioned though, with the cap going up and other players signing for big money, McDavid becomes a much more viable option. I'm just betting he'll be available in the 3rd round (I have known and done pools with the other GMs for many years) and this allows me to pick up the right pieces to make it work for me. I have already traded to get Carter Hart to clear up $5M in cap space to do just that.

Guess I'll have to wait and see if I'm right about him being available beyond the 2 first rounds.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinxyz View Post
    Follow-up to an older thread because the offer is now official (and Labanc has taken Morrissey's place as my last keeper): Would you trade Hall & Mittelstadt for a 3rd round pick (16 overall)? I know I know please read on...

Salary cap pts only keeper league in signature with current keeper choices in bold. I really like Hall and think he could have a monster season BUT he does have a long history of injuries and this is the last year on his current contract ($6M) so I would not be keeping him after this season.

I currently own the 1st overall pick which I will use on Jack Hughes. I also own picks 8 oa, 15, 20, 22.

I would replace Hall with either Kuznetsov ($7,8M) who has 6 years left on his contract and would probably remain a long term keeper or maybe even Morrissey ($3,15M) which I have high hopes for this upcoming season. The thing is I think I could also redraft both these players in the 3 first rounds.

Some interesting players available so far next draft : McDavid, Ovechkin, Tavares, O'Reilly, Kessel, Malkin, Carlson, Hedman, Letang, Hertl, Zibanejad, Mantha, Hronek, Girard

Any advice on who to draft with 8th overall? Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    If all of the best NHL players are not being kept or even picked up from the WW then your league strategy has to be about hoarding ELCs. Therefore there is no reason to be trading Middlestat and Hall for 16OA to pick up a player who is making more than Hall. This is moving backward. You should be keeping all of you ELCs and trading all of your all-star players for picks. Use the excess picks you acquire to pick up all-star NHL players that have been thrown back in the draft pool. While other GMs will be trying to draft the "cheapest" of the expensive players, you will have extra-flexibility as your keepers will be ultra-cheap.

I'd keep:

F: Crosby, Eichel, Pastrnak, Hall, Barzal, D Strome, Buchnevich, Kuznetsov, Mittelstadt, M.Stone, Huberdeau, Labanc, Borgstrom, Kapanen, Batherson
    D: Josi, Gustafsson, Q. Hughes, Djoos, Hedman, Schmidt, Morrissey, Letang
    G: Hart, Holtby, Hutton, Jones
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    If all of the best NHL players are not being kept or even picked up from the WW then your league strategy has to be about hoarding ELCs. Therefore there is no reason to be trading Middlestat and Hall for 16OA to pick up a player who is making more than Hall. This is moving backward. You should be keeping all of you ELCs and trading all of your all-star players for picks. Use the excess picks you acquire to pick up all-star NHL players that have been thrown back in the draft pool. While other GMs will be trying to draft the "cheapest" of the expensive players, you will have extra-flexibility as your keepers will be ultra-cheap.

I'd keep:

F: Crosby, Eichel, Pastrnak, Hall, Barzal, D Strome, Buchnevich, Kuznetsov, Mittelstadt, M.Stone, Huberdeau, Labanc, Borgstrom, Kapanen, Batherson
    D: Josi, Gustafsson, Q. Hughes, Djoos, Hedman, Schmidt, Morrissey, Letang
    G: Hart, Holtby, Hutton, Jones
    Ummmm, but he's trying to win, lol. I think his keepers are just fine.

I'm in the minority, but I don't mind trading Hall to keep Kuz (long-term, stable contract) and a good draft pick. The only exception is I probably wouldn't trade Hall to someone that has a strong chance of beating you this year. Next year, Hall's contract goes up and he's much less relevant...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Well that's kinda over exaggerating things.

Most star players are taken and will be protected (Kucherov, Crosby, MacKinnon, etc etc.). McDavid just happens to be the highest paid and people have had trouble managing their cap space with him (maybe others would have done better!?). With the cap going up and new higher contracts things will change. In a non cap league I would draft him 1st overall anytime (or maybe Kucherov) BUT, this might just be me, in a cap league I've had a lot more success drafting with a clear plan and controlling my cap space than when I tried drafting only the best players available and dealing with the cap crunch afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Ummmm, but he's trying to win, lol. I think his keepers are just fine.

I'm in the minority, but I don't mind trading Hall to keep Kuz (long-term, stable contract) and a good draft pick. The only exception is I probably wouldn't trade Hall to someone that has a strong chance of beating you this year. Next year, Hall's contract goes up and he's much less relevant...
    Yeah I've decided to hold onto Hall. My trading partner is pretty competitive most years except last year he tanked and traded lots of good players so he's filled with draft picks. I should be competing for first this year but if ever I'm not in the running this year I'll be able to trade him with a better return.