Thread: Sorokin and Varly

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Sorokin and Varly

How does Varlamov's contract affect Sorokin/what does the contract say about Sorokin's odds of coming over to the NHL?
    Fantrax 14 Team Dynasty H2H Points League
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 11bench 15minors
    G A SoG PPP SHP Hits Blks HT
    W Saves GA SHO

C: Horvat, W Karlsson, White, J. Hughes, Little
    LW: Gaudreau, Kreider, Hintz, Forsberg
    RW: Burakovski, Virtanen
    LW/RW: Bjorkstrand, Svechnikov, Burakovsky, Farabee, Greenway
    D: Pulock, Dumba, Heiskanen, Fowler, Murray, Murphy, Dunn, Grzelcyk, Pelech
    G: Hutton, Kinkaid, Merzlikins
    Farm Highlights: Batherson, Puistola, Koivula , Tippett, Madden, Dobson, Sandin, Rasmussen, L Brown, Nedeljkovic, Mahura, Capobianco, N Robertson, , Rafferty, Alexeyev
    Picks: 2020- 2x Rd 1, 1x Rd 3

Full rebuild mode after inheriting a dumpster fire...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Sorokin and Varly

I think the hopes are Varlamov talks Sorokin into coming over. The Russian coercing factor. I think Sorokin needs at least one year of North American hockey in the AHL. Then a backup role for one year. So, i see Varlamov being in the picture as a 1a/1b with Greiss for two years minimum. Then Sorokin enters the picture.
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mmasked View Post
    How does Varlamov's contract affect Sorokin/what does the contract say about Sorokin's odds of coming over to the NHL?
    they are friends off ice so it has probably increased the odds of sorokin coming over for 2020-21 knowing that he has a fellow countryman to help him out with a variety of things over the 3 years they'd be together on LI .

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    they are friends off ice so it has probably increased the odds of sorokin coming over for 2020-21 knowing that he has a fellow countryman to help him out with a variety of things over the 3 years they'd be together on LI .
    Yeah, I heard they were pretty close friends so I would expect this is nothing but good news for Sorokin's prospects of coming to the NHL soon. I would imagine that was part of the reason they were comfortable moving away from Lehner after such a great season in tandem with Greiss. It just makes sense long-term for the organization if they want Sorokin to be the goalie of the future.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ace

I think it all depends on $$$.... I mean he's making 4Million US/year for the last few seasons already...
    then he can choose to come to the NHL for 925k US and play for a chance at bonuses $2,850,000US /signing bonus ?!?
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Kabonov View Post
    I think it all depends on $$$.... I mean he's making 4Million US/year for the last few seasons already...
    then he can choose to come to the NHL for 925k US and play for a chance at bonuses $2,850,000US /signing bonus ?!?
    How much did Vasilevskiy just sign for again??? Oh ya, $9.5M. If you want the big money, you come to the NHL, suck it up for a couple seasons and if you play well enough, earn the big bucks. He'll get paid what he's worth in the NHL in due time but the longer he waits, the longer it takes.

I don't think Varlamov is a stumbling block. Again, if he's good enough, he will work his way in.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kabonov View Post
    Samsonov is about to play his second season in the AHL , Shesterkin his first .

the red carpet is pretty much rolled out for sorokin to be the 1B in 2020-21 instead of riding the buses in AHL .

Dobber Sports Jedi

Varly = an easy relaxed transition to the NHL when he comes over. No rush, no pressure. But if he's ready for the job... Varly also won't be seen as a large obstacle as he'll be on the back half of his deal by then
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    Samsonov is about to play his second season in the AHL , Shesterkin his first .

the red carpet is pretty much rolled out for sorokin to be the 1B in 2020-21 instead of riding the buses in AHL .
    I could see Greiss taking another 1-year deal or something at the conclusion of this season. He's performed really well, and it's a lot to ask a guy to come straight from the KHL into a prominent NHL role. I don't think Sorokin is going to be move across the pond and step into an NHL backup role immediately. That's a lot to put on any goalie, even the super studs like Sorokin, Shesterkin, etc. Just look at how Samsonov struggled in his first North American professional season. It happens, and these guys need time to adjust to a whole new life / new style of game / angles, etc.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I could see Greiss taking another 1-year deal or something at the conclusion of this season. He's performed really well, and it's a lot to ask a guy to come straight from the KHL into a prominent NHL role. I don't think Sorokin is going to be move across the pond and step into an NHL backup role immediately. That's a lot to put on any goalie, even the super studs like Sorokin, Shesterkin, etc. Just look at how Samsonov struggled in his first North American professional season. It happens, and these guys need time to adjust to a whole new life / new style of game / angles, etc.
    ideally thats the path I'd like to take as well but its the islanders ; if you know what I mean .

Administrator

It helps Sorokin come to the NHL and adjust to North America more comfortably. Four years also matters. The Isles see Varlamov as a long-term investment so at best Sorokin will be a tandem goalie for the first few years of his career.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust