Thread: Information on Veleno / AHL eligibility

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Information on Veleno / AHL eligibility

Just thought I would post this here since I messed up my draft by picking Veleno too early(instead of Krebs) due to misinformation in the prospects guide. I guess posting on the forums might get this error fixed at the same time.

"He has nothing left to learn in junior and he is not eligible for the AHL yet, so Detroit may keep him around the way they did with Michael Rasmussen last year. "

This statement is wrong. If you're thinking of picking veleno early for this reason, think again. He can play in the AHL for 2019-2020 since he already has 4 CHL seasons under his belt.

RIP my draft.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Information on Veleno / AHL eligibility

I think I would still prefer Veleno to Krebs right now. Looks like he's probably in line to be Detroit's 2C long term. Sure, he's not going to be in the NHL this season in all likelihood, but neither is Krebs and I think Veleno might actually have a higher upside imo.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I also think it's close, I just thought the likeliness of Veleno starting in the NHL would give me a good trade chip once the season starts. If Veleno starts in the AHL, I'm pretty sure Krebs holds more value for most people.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I think I would still prefer Veleno to Krebs right now. Looks like he's probably in line to be Detroit's 2C long term. Sure, he's not going to be in the NHL this season in all likelihood, but neither is Krebs and I think Veleno might actually have a higher upside imo.
    I don't see anything wrong with what mounD is saying. These two are pretty close in value so it really boils down to personal preference.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think even if not out of training camp that Veleno plays for the wings this year. They have already said they are going to move Athanasiou back to the wing so there should be an opening for him if he plays well

Dobber Sports Giant

For what it's worth, Veleno had one of the highest PNHLe ratings last year at 70+ and even the year prior was incredible from the time he moved to Drummondville. He's got a ton of upside, and he's turning pro this season. Don't get me wrong, I love Krebs and I think I have him rated higher than most for this draft class, but Veleno is just much further ahead with similar (or greater) upside. You made the right decision, I'm pretty sure about that. At the very least, you'll be able to figure out what you've got much sooner than with Krebs.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin