Thread: Varlamov or lehner?!?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Varlamov or lehner?!?

Who would be the better of the two to keep?!?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Varlamov or lehner?!?

For this upcoming season I would want Varlamov. Lehner could have a pathway to the Chicago starting job, but he has to show last year's success wasn't because of Trotz' system. He also could hit the free agent market again and end up in another tandem somewhere. I want Varlamov for sure this year because he should be a good start even if he only plays 55-60% of NYI's games, and probably the year after that. Lehner I think has a bit more to prove this year behind a presumably weaker defense. Looking any further ahead is hard to do right now with Lehner only signed for a year in Chicago.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Jedi

Varly for me too. It's Trotz's system after all.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

i choose barry trotz. Unless saves is a big category, as Lehner might face more shots.
    Weekly H2H 4gm/week 14 Teams,21 Player roster+3 protected prospects
    20wk Reg season+3Rd of Playoff
    Keep 10

G+A=1pt, Dman G+A=1.5pt, PPG=1pt, PPA=0.5pt, SHG=1pt, SHA=0.5pt, ShootoutG=0.25pt, GWG=1pt, Hatty=3pt, DMan Hatty=5pt, +/- (For D only)=+/- 0.5pt, W=2pt, L=-1pt, OTL=1pt, ShootoutL=0.5pt, SO=1pt, S=0.1pt, GA=-0.5pt, Goalie Goal=5pt

Play 2C 2LW 2RW 3F 3D 2G
    C:Zibanejad Stamkos Schmaltz
    LW:Panarin Kaprizov Bunting Barbashev D.Strome
    RW:Keller Terry Necas Kakko Raddysh
    D: Carlson Theodore Morrissey Matheson
    G:Vasilevskiy Sorokin Merzlikins Johansson
    Prospects: Miroshnichenko Dostal Commesso

Dobber Sports Titan

What are your categories? I think you get more volume out of Lehner, but Varly's ratios might be a little bit better in the NYI system.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Newbie

Wins svpct gas so

Dobber Sports Giant

Give me Lehner, I'm a believer in this guy. He was putting up .920+ Sv% on bad Buffalo teams. It seems like everyone forgets that Lehner has always been solid on mediocre clubs. He's four years younger, and doesn't really have a ton of wear on his body. I think the ratios will probably be close, but Lehner is going to prove everyone wrong again and remain one of the best fantasy goalies to own.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Give me Lehner, I'm a believer in this guy. He was putting up .920+ Sv% on bad Buffalo teams. It seems like everyone forgets that Lehner has always been solid on mediocre clubs. He's four years younger, and doesn't really have a ton of wear on his body. I think the ratios will probably be close, but Lehner is going to prove everyone wrong again and remain one of the best fantasy goalies to own.
    This. I would want Lehner as well. I think he can reproduce his numbers away from Barry Trotz and, truthfully, I can't trust Varly that much.
    12 team dynasty, weekly H2H, daily starts
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 7 Bench - 23 player roster, unlimited farm system
    Cats - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, Hits, SOG, BS, W, GAA, S%, S and SO

C - Crosby, MacKinnion, Bergeron, Kopitar and Pageau
    LW - Marchand, Pacioretty, Nugent-Hopkins (C) and Vrana
    RW - Stone, Voracek, Duclair (LW), T. Wilson and Tanev (LW)
    D - Hedman, Doughty, Trouba, Weber and Giordano
    G - Holtby, Binnington, Quick and M. Koskinen
    Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov
    Picks - 2020 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th

Dobber Sports Master

Long term, then I'd take Lehner. Just for next year, then I'd go with Varlamov because he will get more starts (barring injury) and is on the better defensive team.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't really trust either goalie. I do think Lehners success came from playing in Trotz's system with Korn so I'm not confident in him repeating in Chicago this year. I also don't trust Varlamov to stay healthy enough to benefit most fantasy teams, even though he's in NY with Trotz and Korn.

If I have to choose, id probably go with Varlamov and pray he can stay healthy but I do not like your options here at all.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Big Daddy

Regardless of situation, Varlamov is not a good NHL goalie, Lehner is.

Dobber Sports Master

hawks have 16 b2b's , nyi only has 11 if that helps with discussion for this seasons service time .

long range , I'd probably go with Lehner too . I hope he has continued success with career .

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I don't really trust either goalie. I do think Lehners success came from playing in Trotz's system with Korn so I'm not confident in him repeating in Chicago this year. I also don't trust Varlamov to stay healthy enough to benefit most fantasy teams, even though he's in NY with Trotz and Korn.

If I have to choose, id probably go with Varlamov and pray he can stay healthy but I do not like your options here at all.
    Listen, there's no denying that the Barry Trotz / Mitch Korn effect is absolutely real. Mediocre goalies always come out smelling like roses when those two are around, but the thing is Lehner has always been a productive goalie on much lesser teams. It's not like the Islanders had some kind of stacked roster, I mean I'm pretty sure most people predicted they would be one of the worst teams in the NHL again last season. But I digress ...

Lehner isn't going to be pushing .930 Sv% with Chicago, it's just not going to happen. But he should get the same volume of starts (45+), if not more because of Crawford's health, and he's got the upside to completely take over the starting job if things go really sideways for Crawford. I think an optimistic projection would be 55 starts, 30 wins, .920 Sv% with a few shutouts. So much of goaltending comes down to the mental aspect of the game, and he's never been a more confident athlete. He's finally clean and sober, and having psychological problems treated effectively, and really just coming into his prime as a goaltender. This guy truly believes he's just scratching the surface, and that's the guy I want in my cage. The guy was putting up a .920 on Buffalo, whacked out on drugs and having manic episodes ... just imagine what he can do now that he truly believes in himself.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Listen, there's no denying that the Barry Trotz / Mitch Korn effect is absolutely real. Mediocre goalies always come out smelling like roses when those two are around, but the thing is Lehner has always been a productive goalie on much lesser teams. It's not like the Islanders had some kind of stacked roster, I mean I'm pretty sure most people predicted they would be one of the worst teams in the NHL again last season. But I digress ...

Lehner isn't going to be pushing .930 Sv% with Chicago, it's just not going to happen. But he should get the same volume of starts (45+), if not more because of Crawford's health, and he's got the upside to completely take over the starting job if things go really sideways for Crawford. I think an optimistic projection would be 55 starts, 30 wins, .920 Sv% with a few shutouts. So much of goaltending comes down to the mental aspect of the game, and he's never been a more confident athlete. He's finally clean and sober, and having psychological problems treated effectively, and really just coming into his prime as a goaltender. This guy truly believes he's just scratching the surface, and that's the guy I want in my cage. The guy was putting up a .920 on Buffalo, whacked out on drugs and having manic episodes ... just imagine what he can do now that he truly believes in himself.
    It sounds like you're a believer. I'm not.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Regardless of situation, Varlamov is not a good NHL goalie, Lehner is.