Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Group A or Group B

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Group A or Group B

i like group B, once they get paid, Labanc and Morrissay are probably borderline roster players in 12 team league.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Titan

Is this for a cap league? I had assumed it wasn't.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Yeah, I just assumed that if cap was an issue he would have mentioned it but the league in his sig is a cap league.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Is this for a cap league? I had assumed it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    Yeah, I just assumed that if cap was an issue he would have mentioned it but the league in his sig is a cap league.

It is indeed a cap league, but the money issues are non-factors in this particular decision.

There are numerous moving parts and with Point unsigned and Barzal up for a contract next year, plus Labanc on a ridiculously low contract this season and Morrissey up for a contract next season, I only really care about this coming year and I can fit both groups in under my cap and thereby finalize my roster (regardless of what Point signs for).

Next year will be a whole lot of work to make everything work, regardless of which group I settle on, so I'm not thinking beyond this season in terms of salary.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I like side A, particularly when you already have Point.

That means there are a lot of things you can do to improve the 2 guys around Point right now that aren't necessarily the 2 you have listed.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Group B for me. Thank me in 2 years

ps - It's amazing how people change their opinion of a player from year to year..just a single year makes the difference..
    Last summer a player like Barzal was very popular after that 85 points season, not so much now.(just for the record - I was still low on him after that 85pts season).
    Now Point is the popular guy with that like an all-star 92points season.. dont buy it.
    Devils & Predators fan

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn_d0e View Post
    Group B for me. Thank me in 2 years

ps - It's amazing how people change their opinion of a player from year to year..just a single year makes the difference..
    Last summer a player like Barzal was very popular after that 85 points season, not so much now.(just for the record - I was still low on him after that 85pts season).
    Now Point is the popular guy with that like an all-star 92points season.. dont buy it.
    Although I agree with you in that fantasy hockey can be fickle, there are reasons to be concerned about Barzal and nothing has changed coming into this next season. When he scored his 85 pt season, he had Tavares to play with on the PP. Plus, Tavares played the tougher minutes while Barzal was a bit sheltered. Also, Trotz is the new coach and preaches a tougher, defensive system that will ultimately hold Barzal back (and everyone else on the team). If a player goes from 85 pts to 62 pts, and there are obvious reasons for the regression, then I feel it is ok to be cautious/concerned.

Point's situation, on the other hand, is not likely to change. No incoming or outgoing players that will impact Point's role...no new coach/system...not likely to stop playing with Kucherov. Point is certainly a "popular guy", but justifiably so, imo. He may not repeat 92 pts, but I'd wager a large sum that (barring injury) he will considerably outscore Barzal again this coming season.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Although I agree with you in that fantasy hockey can be fickle, there are reasons to be concerned about Barzal and nothing has changed coming into this next season. When he scored his 85 pt season, he had Tavares to play with on the PP. Plus, Tavares played the tougher minutes while Barzal was a bit sheltered. Also, Trotz is the new coach and preaches a tougher, defensive system that will ultimately hold Barzal back (and everyone else on the team). If a player goes from 85 pts to 62 pts, and there are obvious reasons for the regression, then I feel it is ok to be cautious/concerned.

Point's situation, on the other hand, is not likely to change. No incoming or outgoing players that will impact Point's role...no new coach/system...not likely to stop playing with Kucherov. Point is certainly a "popular guy", but justifiably so, imo. He may not repeat 92 pts, but I'd wager a large sum that (barring injury) he will considerably outscore Barzal again this coming season.
    Yea, yea, fair enough. I understand(at leaast i would like to think that) the situations on Tampa and NYI. Made the comparison with Point because he is involved in this trade scenario on the thread. It's fair to say that Point is more likely to match the points total from last season. Just everything gotta go right I think. Barzal should be a 65-70 points player, Point around 82-88 for me. A 15-20 points difference is that much considering the other pieces in team-A and team-B?
    Devils & Predators fan

The Great One

Yea, yea, fair enough. I understand(at leaast i would like to think that) the situations on Tampa and NYI. Made the comparison with Point because he is involved in this trade scenario on the thread. It's fair to say that Point is more likely to match the points total from last season. Just everything gotta go right I think. Barzal should be a 65-70 points player, Point around 82-88 for me. A 15-20 points difference is that much considering the other pieces in team-A and team-B?
    yes, 15-20 pts is a lot in this particular league.

This is an H2H league, points only. Every week you set your lineup on Sunday (3F, 2D, 1G) and go up against the other team's lineup. Come playoff time especially, having two 90+ pt players (Point and Kucherov) go up against any other team's two best forwards usually makes my team one of the best in the league. Going up against Kucherov and Barzal instead of Kuch and Point isn't quite as threatening in H2H with a start 3F format.

There aren't many teams in our league that can boast having two 90+ pt forwards.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Veteran

yes, 15-20 pts is a lot in this particular league.

This is an H2H league, points only. Every week you set your lineup on Sunday (3F, 2D, 1G) and go up against the other team's lineup. Come playoff time especially, having two 90+ pt players (Point and Kucherov) go up against any other team's two best forwards usually makes my team one of the best in the league. Going up against Kucherov and Barzal instead of Kuch and Point isn't quite as threatening in H2H with a start 3F format.

There aren't many teams in our league that can boast having two 90+ pt forwards.
    I see where you are coming from. See my second team in the signature - for 2 years I keep Benn-Seguin and Wheeler-Scheifele. Its always great to have a dynamic duo on your team for sure .
    Sooo maybe it's a coin flip! ..... I mean what about the year before when Point had 66points? Its just not sure thing that he is going to repeat. What about Forsberg, who if going to play every minute next to Johansen or Duchene. If that power play gets any better(if healthy too) you are giving at least a 70 points player. It's only your decision, SeaDawg. I'm sure you are gonna make the right one. In other words, what Im telling you(just kidding)
    Devils & Predators fan

The Great One

I see where you are coming from. See my second team in the signature - for 2 years I keep Benn-Seguin and Wheeler-Scheifele. Its always great to have a dynamic duo on your team for sure .
    Sooo maybe it's a coin flip! ..... I mean what about the year before when Point had 66points? Its just not sure thing that he is going to repeat. What about Forsberg, who if going to play every minute next to Johansen or Duchene. If that power play gets any better(if healthy too) you are giving at least a 70 points player. It's only your decision, SeaDawg. I'm sure you are gonna make the right one. In other words, what Im telling you(just kidding)
    hey, this isn't easy for sure. I've been wresting with this for a couple of months now. I'm really not sure what to do. And besides, as a reminder, the original offer was for Girard and not Makar. I don't think I can get Makar, even if I decided to really be aggressive in pursuit of him.

I just wanted to feel out thoughts from the community before deciding if it was really worth trying to acquire Makar, which in the end would give me Group B.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Veteran

hey, this isn't easy for sure. I've been wresting with this for a couple of months now. I'm really not sure what to do. And besides, as a reminder, the original offer was for Girard and not Makar. I don't think I can get Makar, even if I decided to really be aggressive in pursuit of him.

I just wanted to feel out thoughts from the community before deciding if it was really worth trying to acquire Makar, which in the end would give me Group B.
    Very difficult decision for sure. Btw Im a little confused because in the team in your signature you got both Forsberg and Point?!?
    So the trade is just a possibility...with a player like Point who just had that kind of a season you have a lot of possibilities in front of you. You just gotta decide what road to go - a 3for3 trade(like the one on the thread) maybe a 2for1 where you give Point for two 75 point players or 1for1 big trade.
    Another thing - if you give Points, is that mean that Forsberg and Barzal are lock to start for you pretty much every week? Are Kevin Labanc and Josh Morrissey even gonna crack your starting line-up for most of the week?
    Devils & Predators fan

The Great One

Very difficult decision for sure. Btw Im a little confused because in the team in your signature you got both Forsberg and Point?!?
    So the trade is just a possibility...with a player like Point who just had that kind of a season you have a lot of possibilities in front of you. You just gotta decide what road to go - a 3for3 trade(like the one on the thread) maybe a 2for1 where you give Point for two 75 point players or 1for1 big trade.
    Another thing - if you give Points, is that mean that Forsberg and Barzal are lock to start for you pretty much every week? Are Kevin Labanc and Josh Morrissey even gonna crack your starting line-up for most of the week?
    lol...lots of questions...I didn't explain everything because it is quite complicated and lots of moving parts. This isn't as simple as trade Group A for Group B. In the end, after multiple steps, I could end up with Group A or Group B and I just wanted to know which group most would prefer.

To answer some of your specific questions, if I keep Point, I'd be trading Forsberg (hypothetically) for assets that I could use to acquire Labanc. Not even sure if that is possible, but I've laid the groundwork for that to happen.

If I deal Point, then my forwards would be: Kucherov, Barzal, Forsberg, Landeskog, Connor, Lindholm. After Kucherov, there is no "automatic" start each week in that group (hence why losing Point hurts so much). All those other players are 70-80 pts at best.

And you are correct in that Labanc and Morrissey would not be regular starters for me. I need to insert them into my starting lineup (3F, 2D, 1G) a minimum of 5 times. I can't see me playing them more than that. Kucherov and Point, for example, I played almost every week, which including playoffs was in the area of 22-23 weeks vs 5 weeks for Labanc and what will probably be around 10-15 weeks for all the other forwards on my team. Last year I basically played Kucherov and Point every week unless Tampa had a bye-week or there was an injury (Point missed a few games due to injury/rest/team discipline).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Veteran

lol...lots of questions...I didn't explain everything because it is quite complicated and lots of moving parts. This isn't as simple as trade Group A for Group B. In the end, after multiple steps, I could end up with Group A or Group B and I just wanted to know which group most would prefer.

To answer some of your specific questions, if I keep Point, I'd be trading Forsberg (hypothetically) for assets that I could use to acquire Labanc. Not even sure if that is possible, but I've laid the groundwork for that to happen.

If I deal Point, then my forwards would be: Kucherov, Barzal, Forsberg, Landeskog, Connor, Lindholm. After Kucherov, there is no "automatic" start each week in that group (hence why losing Point hurts so much). All those other players are 70-80 pts at best.

And you are correct in that Labanc and Morrissey would not be regular starters for me. I need to insert them into my starting lineup (3F, 2D, 1G) a minimum of 5 times. I can't see me playing them more than that. Kucherov and Point, for example, I played almost every week, which including playoffs was in the area of 22-23 weeks vs 5 weeks for Labanc and what will probably be around 10-15 weeks for all the other forwards on my team. Last year I basically played Kucherov and Point every week unless Tampa had a bye-week or there was an injury (Point missed a few games due to injury/rest/team discipline).
    Quite complicated, man. I need a break heh. Hit me up when you make a decision if you make one.
    Devils & Predators fan