Thread: 2019 Home Run Derby

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default 2019 Home Run Derby

What a show last night! Honestly one of the most exciting All-Star Game Events I can remember in any sport! MLB has finally gotten it right with the timed event and using young players who want to go all-out.
    Vlad Jr. and Pederson going toe-to-toe in the 2nd Round was unreal and exciting for a “meaningless” event.

It was slightly unfortunate for Vlad Jr. and Jays fans that he was soo gassed in the finals but the run he went on in the first 2 rounds were incredible. Also, probably sucks missing out on a million bucks when your base salary is $550,000. I think he hit 6 in a row out at one point, and only missed on 7 because the pitcher missed his spot!

If you missed it and get a chance to see the highlights/Replay check it out!
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 2019 Home Run Derby

Could have been very different if Matt Chapman's dad wasn't throwing sliders every other pitch.

The perfect thing to have for the HR Derby is rookies who actually think 1mill is insane amount of money (which it is). But I do think 2nd place ended up getting 500k. They increased the prize money pool to $2.5mill this yr, so places 2-8 make 1.5mill and I think they said Vlad got $500k. So 3-8 got $1mill.

Even someone just participating in it got probably $50k-$100k.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Could have been very different if Matt Chapman's dad wasn't throwing sliders every other pitch.

The perfect thing to have for the HR Derby is rookies who actually think 1mill is insane amount of money (which it is). But I do think 2nd place ended up getting 500k. They increased the prize money pool to $2.5mill this yr, so places 2-8 make 1.5mill and I think they said Vlad got $500k. So 3-8 got $1mill.

Even someone just participating in it got probably $50k-$100k.
    I was laughing about that/feeling bad for Chapman Jr! They had an interview with both the Chapman's before hand and both talked about how they had always talked about how cool it would be and Dad was just loving every minute. Then he gets up there and can't give his son a good pitch to hit! He must have felt pretty bad about that. Glad to know Vlad Jr. did get some serious coin for his efforts.

Video at this link shows the 2 pitches Chapman Sr. was throwing!
    https://www.12up.com/posts/video-mat...y-01dfa51mnnex
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I was laughing about that/feeling bad for Chapman Jr! They had an interview with both the Chapman's before hand and both talked about how they had always talked about how cool it would be and Dad was just loving every minute. Then he gets up there and can't give his son a good pitch to hit! He must have felt pretty bad about that. Glad to know Vlad Jr. did get some serious coin for his efforts.

Video at this link shows the 2 pitches Chapman Sr. was throwing!
    https://www.12up.com/posts/video-mat...y-01dfa51mnnex
    Last yr the Prize money pool was like $585k, and Harper only got like $125k. So I feel like that's roughly what Chapman got so I can't feel tooooo bad. But ya, the day was obviously nervous about it the way he was just "shanking" those throws. Must be why we don't really see family pitch to them anymore. It's always a pitching coach or a minor league coach now. Also, Chapman's dad had like 0 practice prior to this lol.

Was so much fun. Get you someone who loves you like Dominican players love other Dominican players. They hype each other up so much.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah Chapman didn't even get a fighting chance lol. But maybe for some guys the idea of having your dad throwing to you is more important than the accolades and prize money. At least, that's what I think is probably going through Chapman's mind.

Vladdy put on a great showing. Came just shy of a big win. But still put on a great show.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Deity

I watched some of it last night but got to watch the re-run this afternoon. That was pretty damn impressive. Both Vladdy and Alonso were beasts but you have to imagine that the extra swings eventually took its toll on Vladdy. You could tell the last 30 seconds of his time (before the extra time) that he was gassed and just swinging and praying he could get it out. Both deserved to win but only one could make it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Agree totally. Was great TV, for a fringe ball fan. And yes Vlady was totally gassed. Great effort. Well done. Glad he got some coin.
    16 team league, Weekly changes
    32 Players play 20, 2 Goalies, 6 Def, 12 Fwd
    2*G,1*a,+/-*.5,.2* pim
    4*W,-1*L,1*OTL,5*SO
    17 Keepers
    Keepers marked with*
    auto protect under 40 Games
    Goal
    Vejmelka, Markstrom, Forsberg, Alnefelt,
    Ukko-Pekka Luukkoonen
    Defence
    Slavin, Pietrangelo, Girard, Hague, Joseph,
    Matheson, Brannstrom, Jokiharju, Parayko
    Forward
    Gaudreau*, Tuch, Garland, Mangiapane, L’Hereux
    Aho*, McCann, Necas, Stephenson, Zacha,
    Marchessault*, Stone, Reilly Smith, Hall,
    Giroux, Landeskog, Rodrigues, Reilly Smith, Yamamoto

Dobber Sports All-Star

I tuned in to see how Vlad Jr was doing and couldn't turn away. That was pretty exciting. He set records for the first two rounds with 29 in each. Figured he would cruise to the final but Pederson came back with 29 of his own.