Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [Re-signed] Kevin Labanc

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: [Re-signed] Kevin Labanc

I was told a story of an NHL player who never spent a dime of his paycheques. He lived off of his per diem which was more than enough to cover his daily expenses.

There is also most likely a deal in place with the Sharks that say they will be signing him to a multi year deal in January with an AAV higher than it should be so Labanc will be ok financially.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I was told a story of an NHL player who never spent a dime of his paycheques. He lived off of his per diem which was more than enough to cover his daily expenses.

There is also most likely a deal in place with the Sharks that say they will be signing him to a multi year deal in January with an AAV higher than it should be so Labanc will be ok financially.
    If he were a better player he could have lived more comfortably off his endorsements + per diem.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

He just really really wants to play with the sharks and thinks he won’t suffer an injury. Not a great statistical play, but it’s his play and I wish him success and health.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If he has a good season, there should be a local bank willing to use him as an endorser, look at his name.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Boy did this go well for him. Good thing he took one for the team, I’m sure DW will completely ignore this season and reward him generously.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Boy did this go well for him. Good thing he took one for the team, I’m sure DW will completely ignore this season and reward him generously.
    Haha but really this performance is pretty shocking. No way anyone could have seen this coming.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Haha but really this performance is pretty shocking. No way anyone could have seen this coming.
    Which is why it's important to sign good contracts, even if you're going just one year and "betting on yourself"

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Well. That’s one way to look at it. But the point remains he made a pretty bad decision and got pretty bad advice from his agent and it might drastically change his long term earnings. Or maybe that’s just dramatic, he’ll sign another one year deal for low money, rebound next year, and cash in. Hope it works for him, just pointing out how ridiculous it was that anyone defended the contract/decision this summer.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Well. That’s one way to look at it. But the point remains he made a pretty bad decision and got pretty bad advice from his agent and it might drastically change his long term earnings. Or maybe that’s just dramatic, he’ll sign another one year deal for low money, rebound next year, and cash in. Hope it works for him, just pointing out how ridiculous it was that anyone defended the contract/decision this summer.
    Or... GMDW said to him, "I can't afford you this year, you are an RFA and I plan to sit you for the season (Do you like Switzerland?) and talk contract again after the season is over and we have more flexibility under the cap."
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

People are weirdly naive about how powerful they think GMs are apparently. There is a players union and provisions of what exactly they’re allowed to do.

Dobber Sports Genius

GM says, " I can't afford what you are asking so I am not going to meet your contract demands."

Nothing weird or naive to say that there is a universe where something like this could happen.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Which is why it's important to sign good contracts, even if you're going just one year and "betting on yourself"
    For sure. And I think 95% of players do that. This case is just so rare.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    GM says, " I can't afford what you are asking so I am not going to meet your contract demands."

Nothing weird or naive to say that there is a universe where something like this could happen.
    They had several free agents to re-sign. Why does one take the hit without a fight while everyone else gets normal deals? Aren't they supposed to be sacrificing for the team? Did they draw straws or something?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post

LaBanc also had arbitration rights did he not? GMs only hold all of the cards when a RFA player doesn't have the arbitration option. Arbitrators are not permitted to consider whether the Sharks have cap room or not. Sitting LaBanc for the season wasn't an option for GMDW.

It's absolutely ~wild~ that it can be 2020 and there's still people that believe RFA's have no leverage. Truly inspiring stuff.