Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [Re-signed] Kevin Labanc

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: [Re-signed] Kevin Labanc

Holy cow ... I'm just .. I'm speechless. I'm not sure if there's some kind out outside compensation that makes this palatable from the player's perspective, or if he just took on a massive amount of risk for the sake of his team. Just bonkers. He's worth at least 4x the price he's signed for, and I just can't think of a good reason why he would do this.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Jedi

There can't be any other reason other than purely wanting to give Jumbo one last shot at a Cup. Take one for the team... literally.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

This happened after the Karlsson and Meier deals. It's like they drew straws and Labanc got the shortest one, forcing him to take all of the financial loss.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

So this kind of makes me wonder if there's some backdoor shit going on. Like hey Kevin, sign for 1 year @ 1 mill which we know is way under market value, but we have an agreement that after this season we sign you to a big multi-year deal.

Then again I'm probably crazy. But as some people have already said this one year small money contract opens the door for them to make some nice small signings to make them a strong team this year.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    So this kind of makes me wonder if there's some backdoor shit going on. Like hey Kevin, sign for 1 year @ 1 mill which we know is way under market value, but we have an agreement that after this season we sign you to a big multi-year deal.

Then again I'm probably crazy. But as some people have already said this one year small money contract opens the door for them to make some nice small signings to make them a strong team this year.
    There's always possibility of things like this happening behind the scenes. But what happens if Labanc tears his ACL in September and then the Sharks are short on cap space again next summer? Sorry Kevin, you can sign your shitty qualifying offer!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Nonzero chance he has a second signed contract in his hands already

Dobber Sports Guru

Before anyone goes thinking that the Sharks can just sign Lebanc for a lot more money for the next season, Mike Clifford posted this on Twitter:

The Sharks have $61M committed to 10 players next year. Not exactly a lot of money coming off the books with half a team to fill. I don't think I'll ever understand this contract.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Dobber Sports Master

I don't understand this deal. Eric is right but in a situation like this, the team is really the ones to hold the cards. So really it's: Kevin do you want to play for the Sharks? If he says yes, it's a 1M deal. If he says no, he gets traded elsewhere and negotiates there.

Guess he really wants to play for the Sharks. That's regardless of what his agent or family or anyone at the PA could tell him. He wants to be a Shark, he wants to be a Shark. Pay cut or not.

Betting on himself indeed. As a member of the Sharks.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

The Great One

What a stupid deal for Labanc to accept, even if there is some sort of verbal agreement (or an actual written agreement) for his next contract. He's a young player and got some bad advice here from his agent. If I'm another player who uses the same agent, I'm finding a new agent now. Either there are some unethical shenanigans going on behind the scenes, or the agent is really bad at his job. Either way, I wouldn't want this person representing me.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Whats not to understand everyone? This seems like a kid that wants to win... and doesn't care significantly about the money!

Imagine if more players made decisions about winning rather than earning the most money...

Say EK talked to Pavelski and said, 'Hey, instead of me signing an $11M per year contract... why don't you and I both sign for half of that each... and let's win the cup!. These guys would still be rich... but they would also have a significantly increased chance at winning the Cup.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Whats not to understand everyone? This seems like a kid that wants to win... and doesn't care significantly about the money!

Imagine if more players made decisions about winning rather than earning the most money...

Say EK talked to Pavelski and said, 'Hey, instead of me signing an $11M per year contract... why don't you and I both sign for half of that each... and let's win the cup!. These guys would still be rich... but they would also have a significantly increased chance at winning the Cup.
    Hockey players definitely need to venture more into outside money ventures more. Leave money on the table via contracts, go do a commercial. We saw it slightly more this yr. Between UberEats, Statefarm, Apple, Visa, players were going out and doing stuff outside of just hockey.

Karlsson 100% could have made a ton of money on the side via his hair with Burns and Thorton on the team.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

Curious if Labanc was advised to establish some sort of L.L.C. into which the Sharks would "invest" a few million dollars. There's gotta be some kind of behind-the-scenes compensation going on here, or this dude is just crazy.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

This is all true. Now imagine LaBanc is hit from behind, breaks his neck, and now requires life-long physio and care. What's left of that $1M after taxes and fees will not go very far.

While I admire his desire to succeed above material wealth he is still putting his and his family's future in an incredible precarious situation that borders on reckless. I assume Doug Wilson and the Sharks would do right and have his back if things go south but this is a risky contract to sign and I doubt anyone considering LaBanc's best interests would recommend Kevin go through with it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    This is all true. Now imagine LaBanc is hit from behind, breaks his neck, and now requires life-long physio and care. What's left of that $1M after taxes and fees will not go very far.

While I admire his desire to succeed above material wealth he is still putting his and his family's future in an incredible precarious situation that borders on reckless. I assume Doug Wilson and the Sharks would do right and have his back if things go south but this is a risky contract to sign and I doubt anyone considering LaBanc's best interests would recommend Kevin go through with it.
    Everyone needs to watch Jerry Maguire
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster