Thread: Moving Quick

The Great One

Default Moving Quick

I'm just wondering if this is a fair offer. Team and league in sig. Most of the guys I'm targetting are for salary purposes. As it stands quick will be hard to promote anyways. We also have a quirk in our system whereby players at 2million or less can be promoted or demoted without clearing waivers- so Perry and Coleman have added value as depth players.

My quick and trenin
    For Coleman R Strome and V Olofsson
    * I also floated out adding in MY Djoos for his Perry

Goalies are obviously at a premium and I feel like quick has solid rebound potential and his contract isn't that bad if he can be a league average goalie. The other owner has Saros and a bunch of filler in net so I'm hoping there's a motivation there.

Is this a reasonable ask in our format?

EDIT: As a cap strapped team he wasn't sure he could take on Kovalchuk so my thinking was to take out kovy and Perry OR sub in Djoos instead for Perry.

The Great One

Default Re: Moving Quick

He countered Coleman stre and Tierney for quick. Leaning towards no. My farm depth is bad and I'm not a believer in Tierney either...

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah, I think you're better off with Quick than the bag of magic beans.

Also you mentioned Kovalchuk in the PS, but I didn't see him anywhere else.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Signature isn't showing up, for me at least....

Can't even see how much goalie depth you have.

If Quick doesn't rebound this year, I think his value will be almost nil...

The Great One

Sorry I swear I had a sign with my team. I'll try to add it later. It's a 2 goalie start league with daily changes- standard 4 cats. My main two are Andersen and MAF. Then I haverazek and mierzlikins on the bench. I have a guy asking about mierz- but I think I'm pretty set in net with those 4.

Dobber Sports Jedi

If you're in a MC... I'd find a way to get Coleman.. I really think he's got at least one more offensive level to his game.

If you could sub Strome for Perry and make the deal

Quick - Perry, Coleman, Tierney - I'd do it.

Or even Coleman/Olafsson

but it really depends on your cats. straight points - I keep Quick
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Skater cats are g a p ppp sog pin. We use cap hits and our cap is 30million over the actual NHL cap.

The offer on the table is r Strome Coleman and Tierney for quick.

I stuck to my guns and said I could only do it if it's:
    R Strome Coleman and v olofsson
    For quick and trenin.

He said no to this so there's a good chance he walks. My logic was that quick has a reasonable chance to turn things around and be a solid starting goalie whereas at 30ish points each Strome and Coleman need to improve to even be roster able (imho around 40 points is roster worthy). Including olofsson adds some semblance of upside if quick can find his game.

Coleman really is the key piece as I think 45ish with decent peripherals is attainable and being able to be promoted/demoted without clearing waivers is a very nice bonus. For example Jarnkrok was surprisingly useful last year as he was the perfect callup as an injury replacement or during a hot streak and then when he's not needed you just plunk him back on the farm. I think Strom has a tad more upside (although I wish he'd shoot more) but having to "lock him in" your roster ends up being pretty constraining. If he underperforms or struggles you either have to just grit through it or expose him to waivers. I don't hate Tierney tbh but adding to guys like this really does round out my roster nicely as depth and injuries really killed my chances last year. I'm in to win it this year. I'll post after this what my team would look like if I made this trade...

The Great One

C- Ziba Kadri (T) Johnson
    Rw- Tarasenko Gallagher Pacioretty
    Lw- Hall (E) Kane Forsberg
    F- Perron Kreider R Strome
    D- EK Krug Hamilton Ghost Gustaafson
    G- Andersen MAF
    Bn- Terry Hinostroza Lehkonen Coleman Maroon Djoos Mrazek Mierzlikins
    Farm (eligible to clear waivers for free)- Jarnkrok Valiardi Olofsson Heed
    Farm (not eligible so I'd only promote if they lit it up or an emergency)- Kovalchuk Vanek Maroon

That's a rough sketch and pacioretty might need to start on the bench or be traded due to salary. Also your reading that right in terms of depth- if I don't make this trade Hartman Jarnkrok and Valiardi are all in my active lineup due to necessity (literally no one else). That also leaves no real injury replacements outside of Kovalchuk and Maroon. Maroon is deceptively good in this format but I've got no idea what kind of salary he has earned. In writing this even Tierney would have some value lol- but I much prefer olofssons upside. In either case hopefully this illustrates the thinking behind the offer.

My top end is competitive with the best in the league and if I can sort out my depth with a trade like this I think I'm a real contender. I've got like no picks and minimal picks next year so there's no way to fix things via the draft. My prospect pool is very thin - Bemstrom Golyshev Dugan Zetterlund and if I make any depth trade it'd be for a cheap/elc dman. Even 25 points would be fine for that spot.

In any case- I know trading for depth pieces isn't usually a "sexy" topic- lol- but I really feel like I'm 2-3 low dollar contracts away from being a legit contender and the gravy part is that I don't even need that much production out of them. Anything north of 45 with passable peripherals is icing on the cake. I've been haggling most of the off season and this is one of the better offers I've come across.

Strome would have to be locked in so to speak but I also feel like he's safe to get 45ish with a bit of upside. Coleman teams up with Jarnkrok as my injury replacement/hot hand replacement. Lastly Olofsson Valiardi and Hartman only have to fill out one roster spot between the three of them. I know Quick has decent bounc back potential and could provide serviceable goalie stats but it's a position of strength as I feel the 4 I have are a good fit in terms of salary, roster coverage and stability/upside balance.

Given the above info would you take this deal with Tierney?

Would you take this deal only with the inclusion of Olofsson?

Would you pass on it altogether?

Karma kannon out and loaded...

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    C- Ziba Kadri (T) Johnson
    Rw- Tarasenko Gallagher Pacioretty
    Lw- Hall (E) Kane Forsberg
    F- Perron Kreider R Strome
    D- EK Krug Hamilton Ghost Gustaafson
    G- Andersen MAF
    Bn- Terry Hinostroza Lehkonen Coleman Maroon Djoos Mrazek Mierzlikins
    Farm (eligible to clear waivers for free)- Jarnkrok Valiardi Olofsson Heed
    Farm (not eligible so I'd only promote if they lit it up or an emergency)- Kovalchuk Vanek Maroon

That's a rough sketch and pacioretty might need to start on the bench or be traded due to salary. Also your reading that right in terms of depth- if I don't make this trade Hartman Jarnkrok and Valiardi are all in my active lineup due to necessity (literally no one else). That also leaves no real injury replacements outside of Kovalchuk and Maroon. Maroon is deceptively good in this format but I've got no idea what kind of salary he has earned. In writing this even Tierney would have some value lol- but I much prefer olofssons upside. In either case hopefully this illustrates the thinking behind the offer.

My top end is competitive with the best in the league and if I can sort out my depth with a trade like this I think I'm a real contender. I've got like no picks and minimal picks next year so there's no way to fix things via the draft. My prospect pool is very thin - Bemstrom Golyshev Dugan Zetterlund and if I make any depth trade it'd be for a cheap/elc dman. Even 25 points would be fine for that spot.

In any case- I know trading for depth pieces isn't usually a "sexy" topic- lol- but I really feel like I'm 2-3 low dollar contracts away from being a legit contender and the gravy part is that I don't even need that much production out of them. Anything north of 45 with passable peripherals is icing on the cake. I've been haggling most of the off season and this is one of the better offers I've come across.

Strome would have to be locked in so to speak but I also feel like he's safe to get 45ish with a bit of upside. Coleman teams up with Jarnkrok as my injury replacement/hot hand replacement. Lastly Olofsson Valiardi and Hartman only have to fill out one roster spot between the three of them. I know Quick has decent bounc back potential and could provide serviceable goalie stats but it's a position of strength as I feel the 4 I have are a good fit in terms of salary, roster coverage and stability/upside balance.

Given the above info would you take this deal with Tierney?

Would you take this deal only with the inclusion of Olofsson?

Would you pass on it altogether?

Karma kannon out and loaded...
    Given the overall context, it's not really a bad trade for you in the current situation. It just feels like you are selling Quick at the wrong time. If you were to revisit this after 10-15 games into the season and Quick is doing at least "ok," then chances are you can trade him for a lot more than his current value right now with all the uncertainty surrounding the LAK goalie situation. We're not that far removed from him being seen as one of the most reliable fantasy goalie options on the market, and I wouldn't rule out a major bounce-back - in which case you'd be kicking yourself for selling him off at the nadir of his value.

Assuming there are at least 10 teams in your league with at least 2-3 goalies apiece, there's gotta be someone out there in dire need of starters. This person wants to acquire a guy like Quick now while his value is low and the cost is just some depth, but if Quick even has a decent first month you can do a whole lot better.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

Fair point- very fair. This is definitely one of the teams in more serious need of a goalie which deals to how far he has dropped. That's why I drew my line in the sand on goalofsson (whom I like a lot). I think between Coleman and Viktor and the quirk where they can clear waivers I feel like it's enough albeit a bit low. C is my weakest spot at the high end so having Strome with a modicum of upside is a nice add too. I agree I'm probably selling low but with the quirk in our rules, me teams contention on the line, my depth issues and quick basically being an extra asset I think I'm ok with this gamble.

Very fair points though and basically reaffirmed what I thought about quick. It's a little too easy to get carried away with public opinion but sometimes the contrarian moves are the ones that pay off the most. I had resigned to keep him and move mrazek or mierzlikins but got nowhere near the return I was looking for. I've certainly don my due diligence on this and surprisingly this Coleman angle is the most solid asset for asset return. Quick had a bad year but he seemed frustrated and had a poor team in front of him. If the king's are re-vitalized and he rounds back into form he got be on the right side of the top 15 in the league for a couple years at a palletable caphit.

I was considering the Tierney offer but I'll hold. Maybe once the season starts there will be more offers. Having out out the olofsson offer though I think I'd honor that one of the other gm comes around.