Thread: Pick a Goalie to Drop

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Pick a Goalie to Drop

I have a 16 team league with Fleury, Rask, Binnington and Saros. Have to drop 1 by the end of the season next year- who do you drop?
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Pick a Goalie to Drop

I moved your post to it's own thread.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Do you have to drop a 4th goalie?? If so then it has to be Saros.

However I'd likely try to sell high on Binnington here.

Dobber Sports Giant

Jinkies! That's a tough call ... I'm thinking Fleury and Rask are must-keeps just because of their past production and relative safety / security in their current situations. While Rask does have a capable Halak behind him on the depth chart, the fact that he should see about 50 starts for an elite team puts him over the top for me.

The real decision here is between Binnington and Saros. A year ago this wouldn't have even been a question, with Saros seemingly poised to steal more starts from Rinne on an elite Nashville squad that went all the way to the Cup final in 2017. But now that Binnington has emerged as a Cup-winning goaltender after a Cinderella run during the second half and playoffs, things are a bit sticky. It's difficult to project Binnington going forward, but he should at least be secured a 1A gig on the team that just won it all. He definitely has more value than Saros *today* but the question is, what's the story going to be a year from now? Two years from now?

I'm thinking Saros is probably the odd man out here, but that doesn't mean you just have to drop him outright. In a 16-team league, this guy should have some serious value. In a league where 320 players are kept among 16 separate teams, someone out there should be willing to pay a pretty penny to acquire Saros. I know if I were looking to add potential starters for a rebuilding side, I'd be giving him some serious consideration right about now, as he's basically a "post-hype sleeper" at this point. I'd recommend shopping Saros around, but don't sell low on this guy. Within a couple years he could be an elite starter for a contending franchise.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Titan

If you say you have to drop one by the end of next season, then why are we deciding now?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree with Eskimo let it play out if Binnington has the same type of season then you have your answer or if he drops like a lead balloon either way it make the decision easy for you to make

The Great One

In a 16-team, keep 20, start 2G format, surely Saros has trade value?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    If you say you have to drop one by the end of next season, then why are we deciding now?
    This is exactly what I was going to say.

Right not, if you had to drop one.. I would say it would be Saros.... or try to sell on Binnington.

But at this time next year... Saros might have just did exactly what Binnington did this year and carried the Predators to their first cup after stealing the net from Rinne.... and Binnington... he could be signing a Rick Dipietro type contract only to never play again in the NHL... the goalie position is sooooo fickle!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    I have a 16 team league with Fleury, Rask, Binnington and Saros. Have to drop 1 by the end of the season next year- who do you drop?
    Why do you need to make this choice now if you have until the end of next season before you have to drop one?

*Edit - just seeing someone else asked this question already LOL! Always good to read the other posts before making your own I guess.

Still, I'll wait for an answer.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."