Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crazy to Trade Vasilevskiy??

Big Daddy

Default Re: Crazy to Trade Vasilevskiy??

I didn’t look into his sig. so I didn’t realize goalie stats have 8 categories. That’s seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion but that’s what it is and it could sway my opinion, but only that. Regardless if it is a shallow skater roster or not, adding Scheifele to McDavid, Pastrnak etc. only makes him deeper.

The 10/8 category setup still has my mind blown at the moment.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I didn’t look into his sig. so I didn’t realize goalie stats have 8 categories. That’s seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion but that’s what it is and it could sway my opinion, but only that. Regardless if it is a shallow skater roster or not, adding Scheifele to McDavid, Pastrnak etc. only makes him deeper.

Haha, fair enough
    I know how much you like your young skilled forwards.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Haha, fair enough
    I know how much you like your young skilled forwards.
    And I know how much you undervalue goalies so it’s a bit surprising to me that you are taking Vasilevskiy here. I’d imagine it is strictly due to the 10/8 set up?

Dobber Sports Titan

And I know how much you undervalue goalies so it’s a bit surprising to me that you are taking Vasilevskiy here. I’d imagine it is strictly due to the 10/8 set up?
    Mostly, yup.
    Vas is the one of the few goalies though that I wouldn't undervalue. With maybe 5 star goalies (of which he is #1) to fill 24 G spots in the league, accounting for 45% of the scoring stats, compared to:
    Scheifele top 20 C x 55% / 36 C starting
    Subban top 20 D x 55% / 72 D starting
    Hubs top 30 W x 55% / 72 W starting

I just see the value as much more easily made up/found on the wire/traded for with the skaters.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah, when the league was set up for some reason we went with 8 goalie cats. After a couple of years (we're now in year 10) it became evident that this was a mistake but it’s hard to get rid of any cats now when GMs (like myself) invested so heavily in goalies. We conduct polls during the offseason to potentially change any of the skater or goalie cats but everyone is fine with them so they stay as is. I went all-in a couple of years ago and finished 2nd the last 2 years and then this year I was one of those middle of the road teams and didn’t think my team was strong enough to make another run at the championship so I traded away the majority of my declining vets for young guns and picks and feel good about my team’s future. Hopefully Binnington is the real deal and Saros takes over either this year or next so I should be set in nets, with Sorokin eventually taking over from Varly in NYI (fingers crossed).
    12 Teams Keeper, Weekly H2H, Daily Starts (3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G)
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT
    Goalies: GS, W, L, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C - Tavares, Scheifle, Trocheck, Granlund
    LW - BTkachuk, Stamkos, Kurashev, Mittelstadt
    RW - MTkachuk, Miller, Pavelski, Tolvanen, Zetterlund
    D - Dahlin, Josi, Hamilton, Fox, Nurse, Montour, Manson
    G - Sorokin, Saros, Ullmark

FARM:
    RW - Michkov
    LW - Voronkov
    C - Foerster
    D - Hutson, Nikishin
    G - Schmid, Daws, Commesso, Portillo, Prosvetov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Some of your goalie categories aren't even goalie categories.

Shots allowed is basically not in the goalie's control, except for a couple rebounds a game, maybe. It also is almost double counting with Saves.
    GAA is also heavily team driven.

If you guys are going to try and tweak categories down the line, shots allowed and +/- are good places to start.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Some of your goalie categories aren't even goalie categories.

Shots allowed is basically not in the goalie's control, except for a couple rebounds a game, maybe. It also is almost double counting with Saves.
    GAA is also heavily team driven.

If you guys are going to try and tweak categories down the line, shots allowed and +/- are good places to start.
    Agree with this. Goalies are such voodoo year to year (remember when Carey Price was the undisputed #1 forever goaltender? Didn't last nearly as long as everyone thought), that I generally prefer the more consistent year to year production from skaters.

However, with so many goalie categories, it's hard to give up one of the best goalies in probably the best situation out there right now. I think I'd have to hold here.

Dobber Sports Newbie

I had Vasilevsky as a draft pick and lost patience on him coming over for some stupid reason and dealt him. I regret that now for sure.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So I ended up dealing Vasilevskiy this season. Goalies are so voodoo. Even though he's a stud on one of the best teams in the league his stats aren't eye popping making him untouchable. With our scoring setup he was the 3rd best goalie in the league behind Hellebuyck and Rask. Binnington was only 3 points overall behind him and Blackwood 5 in 5 less games nonetheless. Both had 3 shutouts and Blackwood's SV% was .916%, Vas .917. Both lost 14 games. Vas lost the same number of games on Tampa as Blackwood did on the bottom feeder Devils. Blackwood is getting slept on HARD. I watched a lot of NJ games and he reminds me a lot of Price (not saying he'll be Price good) just with his movement in the crease and composure. Got hit with a puck to the face near the end of the 2nd period in one game and finished the period. Busted up teeth but finished the period. Came back in the 3rd missing something like 3-4 teeth. It was nuts. He's a beast.

Anyways, all that to say the deal was Vas for Dahlin, Blackwood and a 1st where I should be able to land Askarov. Vas is a beast for sure but he was only 5 points ahead of Blackwood in my league with our setup so he's not really that much more valuable. I added Dahlin who is going to be a monster and young stud D are highly coveted and valuable in my league. I haven't seen Askarov play much but if the hype is real he could be the next Vas. I'm nearing the end of my rebuild and I already have Binnington and Saros who's set to take over so I could afford to lose Vas. And hopefully Sorokin takes over sooner than later in NYI. Some may so I'm nuts for dealing Vas but I'm happy with the return and am a better team with the pieces I acquired.
    12 Teams Keeper, Weekly H2H, Daily Starts (3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G)
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT
    Goalies: GS, W, L, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C - Tavares, Scheifle, Trocheck, Granlund
    LW - BTkachuk, Stamkos, Kurashev, Mittelstadt
    RW - MTkachuk, Miller, Pavelski, Tolvanen, Zetterlund
    D - Dahlin, Josi, Hamilton, Fox, Nurse, Montour, Manson
    G - Sorokin, Saros, Ullmark

FARM:
    RW - Michkov
    LW - Voronkov
    C - Foerster
    D - Hutson, Nikishin
    G - Schmid, Daws, Commesso, Portillo, Prosvetov

Dobber Sports Pro

Still wouldn't have done it, and that's from someone who doesn't trust goalies enough to keep them. I do like that you got Dahlin though. Did you shop Vas around before making this deal?
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin