Thread: [Signing] Mats Zuccarello to Wild

Administrator

Default [Signing] Mats Zuccarello to Wild

Pierre LeBrun
    @PierreVLeBrun
    ·
    25m
    All signs pointing to Zuccarello signing with the Wild. Hearing five years and $6 M aav or around there
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: [Rumoured Signing] Mats Zuccarello to Wild

Woof. Paul Fenton is apparently not a good.

Dobber Sports Deity

I read he wanted to stay in Dallas but the Stars wouldn't give him five years, only four. It was the 5th year that got him in Minny.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

not surprised that he got this contract , just surprised that he decided to play for MIN .

Dobber Sports Icon

I had really hoped to see him back in Dallas for the sake of his fantasy value. I'd have been targeting him in drafts if that were the case... not so much in Minny
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: [Signing] Mats Zuccarello to Wild

Opinions on impact on Donato?

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Immortal

Just thought to come back to this and say what a terrible deal this has been. I at least expected Zucc to lead the team in scoring or something. Get those easy points. But he has 30 so far.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah I feel like the Wild are just a giant "woof" of a situation all around.

Looking at that roster is so Zzzzz.

Would love to get some insight into what the heck is going on with this franchise from chuckcouples who i believe is a Wild fan?
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post

Would love to get some insight into what the heck is going on with this franchise from chuckcouples who i believe is a Wild fan?
    Wild fan here and it's just an all around mess really. The shutout loss to SJ on Saturday after Guerin's puzzling decision to fire Boudreau right now was all too fitting.This Zuccarello deal looks even worse now, although in his defense the deployment of their forwards is horrible for production. A "scoring by committee" system for basically the team's entire existence. Parise and Staal have the highest TOI at just over 17 minutes (!) and are a full minute ahead of the next guy.

Like you said it's kind of "woof" across the board. You have aging vets on some bad contracts (Parise, Suter, Zucc, probably missing someone), questionable goaltending (this season at least, Duby had been solid all previous years in MIN but isn't getting younger), good but not great young players, and no real star power on offense which has always been an issue. As far as Kaprizov coming over and making an impact...I'll believe it when I see it. I'm in the very cautiously optimistic camp with him. I'm not a great prospect mind but I know the cupboard isn't stacked by any means (Kaprizov, Boldy, ??). The recently acquired Addison on D looks to have nice offensive potential though. So they do have some pieces there.

It's a weird situation. Fenton came in last year with no real vision and then made questionable moves which Guerin has to deal with. Victor Rask for Nino was just awful but the Fiala/Granlund move isn't looking so bad as of late. Fiala is really starting to strut his stuff IMO, while Granlund has struggled a bit in Nashville. I believe some were considering Fenton's "plan" a "rebuild on the fly" type thing but in reality a larger strip down is needed. Perhaps were starting to see that with Zucker gone and Boudreau fired...who really knows. I wasn't thrilled with the coach firing but at this point I think fans are just hopeful it's the start of a new era so to speak. After living in the land of mediocrity for so long, I'd gladly take a rebuild with some down years ahead. Hopefully Guerin realizes this and continues to look toward the future. It's just unfortunate they're strapped by some crappy contracts and less than desirable trade assets.

Sort of rambled here and could go on for days, but in short this team needs a reset. I just hope they make an effort at doing so.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post

It feels like they're Detroit 2 years ago.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by RevRath View Post
    Wild fan here and it's just an all around mess really. The shutout loss to SJ on Saturday after Guerin's puzzling decision to fire Boudreau right now was all too fitting.This Zuccarello deal looks even worse now, although in his defense the deployment of their forwards is horrible for production. A "scoring by committee" system for basically the team's entire existence. Parise and Staal have the highest TOI at just over 17 minutes (!) and are a full minute ahead of the next guy.

Like you said it's kind of "woof" across the board. You have aging vets on some bad contracts (Parise, Suter, Zucc, probably missing someone), questionable goaltending (this season at least, Duby had been solid all previous years in MIN but isn't getting younger), good but not great young players, and no real star power on offense which has always been an issue. As far as Kaprizov coming over and making an impact...I'll believe it when I see it. I'm in the very cautiously optimistic camp with him. I'm not a great prospect mind but I know the cupboard isn't stacked by any means (Kaprizov, Boldy, ??). The recently acquired Addison on D looks to have nice offensive potential though. So they do have some pieces there.

It's a weird situation. Fenton came in last year with no real vision and then made questionable moves which Guerin has to deal with. Victor Rask for Nino was just awful but the Fiala/Granlund move isn't looking so bad as of late. Fiala is really starting to strut his stuff IMO, while Granlund has struggled a bit in Nashville. I believe some were considering Fenton's "plan" a "rebuild on the fly" type thing but in reality a larger strip down is needed. Perhaps were starting to see that with Zucker gone and Boudreau fired...who really knows. I wasn't thrilled with the coach firing but at this point I think fans are just hopeful it's the start of a new era so to speak. After living in the land of mediocrity for so long, I'd gladly take a rebuild with some down years ahead. Hopefully Guerin realizes this and continues to look toward the future. It's just unfortunate they're strapped by some crappy contracts and less than desirable trade assets.

Sort of rambled here and could go on for days, but in short this team needs a reset. I just hope they make an effort at doing so.
    Good stuff RevRath! I feel like Guerin would do well to take a bit of a risk on some high upside/high risk players that are near the end of their rope with current teams; recent acquisitions like Fabbri, Duclair, Strome, Connolly, Domi, etc. Potential targets such as Buchnevich, Kapanen, Puljajarvi, etc.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Icon

The Wild are a better team than they have shown so far this season. I believe they are getting the worst goaltending (by goals saved above average) in the league so far this season and are still only 5 points out of a playoff spot with 4 games in hand. This is also taking into consideration that many of their players are having terrible years (Dumba, Staal, etc). They Wild are currently 7th in the NHL in expected goals for percentage (according to Corsica Hockey).

The Wild's team defense remains one of the best in the NHL. Their goal scoring is middle of the pack but good enough to be a playoff team. I don't know what Guerin wants to do with the team but firing Boudreau was a terrible idea. I don't know the story as to why that happened when it did. It could be because Boudreau is such a good coach that the Wild might make the playoffs and that hurts Guerin's ability for long term success. Guerin is currently in his first year so he sort of gets a pass if Fenton's team misses the playoffs but if the Wild would make the playoffs this year then the owner would expect the same next season and Guerin wants to give himself an excuse.

The Zucker trade made sense as he's not really that good. He can score and he can take a lot of shots but that's really all he does as he doesn't defend well and does not often make the smart play. I think Ryan Donato brings just as much to the lineup as Zucker did and adding Addison and another 1st round pick and cap space helps the franchise.

Overall, I think the Wild forward prospects are better than people think with Kaprizov, Khovanov, Shaw (if he can stay healthy), Dewar, Sturm, Boldy. Outside of Kaprizov and maybe Khovanov, their probably any top line guys there but a lot of 2nd/3rd line guys which match up with the way the Wild play anyway. They pretty much role two 2nd lines and two 3rd lines as it is. They don't have much for prospect dmen which explains the Addison addition. They do have a very good top 7 though as Carson Soucy has established himself as a very good #5 who can play in the top four.

The Wild are in this funny place where if they get solid goaltending, they can beat any team in the NHL but if their goalies play terribly which they are apt to do, the team can lose to anyone. Outside of the goaltending, the Wild are probably a top 10 team in the league. Their top 4 defense is one of the best in the NHL with Suter/Spurgeon/Brodin/Dumba. They can roll 4 lines as well as most other teams in the league. Their 4th line has been Mikko Koivu, Ryan Donato and Ryan Hartman the past few games and that's better than a lot of teams' third lines.

With all of this said, I have no idea what the Wild are trying to do nor do I know what they should be doing. I do predict that Dougie Weight will be joining the Wild at some point either as Guerin's right hand man or as the head coach.