Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Laine wants a bridge?

Administrator

Default Re: Laine wants a bridge?

The wording of the thread title made me laugh a bit. What type of bridge does Laine want?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I disagree. The long-term deals for 30+ year-old players are where teams get into trouble. Laine's a guy they want to keep around. I don't care if he's one-dimensional. His one dimension is the dimension every team wants and he's one of the best at it. He's 21 and cares, he will improve.
    We'll see. I stand by my Mike Hoffman comparison (though even then Hoffman is a better skater). I predict that Laine will be dead weight in three years and not worth his contract. I watched him play so much this past season and I think he is a really bad hockey player.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    We'll see. I stand by my Mike Hoffman comparison (though even then Hoffman is a better skater). I predict that Laine will be dead weight in three years and not worth his contract. I watched him play so much this past season and I think he is a really bad hockey player.
    Why, exactly?
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    Why, exactly?
    Let's see...poor skater, poor passer, poor IQ, poor stickhandler, can't play defense, looks lost on the ice...about the only thing he is good at is shooting the puck (which, I admit, he is very good at doing). I've said this many times in other threads, but it seemed to me watching at least 15 Winnipeg games this past season that teams figured out how to play against Laine. They can overplay him to shoot the puck, knowing he likely won't make a good pass or be able to stickhandle around them, or even do something as simple as get into a better shooting position/delaying his shot momentarily, etc. He really just shoots the puck as soon as he gets it.

Right now the optimistic view is that he suffered from an injury all year. Fine. But I will be shocked if he improves on last season's numbers. My prediction is 30-35 goals, 25-30 assists most years. He might get a bit over 70 pts once in a while, but he will never be a point-per-game player.

Timo Meier, for example, is also a 30 goal scorer, but a much better player than Laine. Meier just signed for $6 million a year. That is a terrific contract, imo, and Laine should come in below that, but he won't.

Evander Kane, Hoffman, JvR, Anders Lee...soon to be Laine. All overpaid for what they bring to the game.

I know, I know, I know...that is what 30+ goal scorers get paid...fine, but it doesn't they should get that much. GMs keep giving out these stupid contracts and that's why the league is in trouble.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Giant

Let's see...poor skater, poor passer, poor IQ, poor stickhandler, can't play defense, looks lost on the ice...about the only thing he is good at is shooting the puck (which, I admit, he is very good at doing). I've said this many times in other threads, but it seemed to me watching at least 15 Winnipeg games this past season that teams figured out how to play against Laine. They can overplay him to shoot the puck, knowing he likely won't make a good pass or be able to stickhandle around them, or even do something as simple as get into a better shooting position/delaying his shot momentarily, etc. He really just shoots the puck as soon as he gets it.

Right now the optimistic view is that he suffered from an injury all year. Fine. But I will be shocked if he improves on last season's numbers. My prediction is 30-35 goals, 25-30 assists most years. He might get a bit over 70 pts once in a while, but he will never be a point-per-game player.

Timo Meier, for example, is also a 30 goal scorer, but a much better player than Laine. Meier just signed for $6 million a year. That is a terrific contract, imo, and Laine should come in below that, but he won't.

Evander Kane, Hoffman, JvR, Anders Lee...soon to be Laine. All overpaid for what they bring to the game.

I know, I know, I know...that is what 30+ goal scorers get paid...fine, but it doesn't they should get that much. GMs keep giving out these stupid contracts and that's why the league is in trouble.
    Sure makes the Guentzel contract look like a steal in comparison to what some of these guys (and likely Laine too) are getting paid.

Also, for the record Meier has a ridiculously good contract but there is a small wrinkle. His salary in the fourth year is $10 million, so as an RFA coming off of that deal his Qualifying Offer would have to be $10 million. So it's essentially a 5-year $34 million contract - which comes out to $6.8m per year.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The wording of the thread title made me laugh a bit. What type of bridge does Laine want?

As a civil engineer this was one of my favourite posts on here in a while.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Jeff Skinner sees your 6m and raises you a Buffalo
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4