Thread: [Signing] Mike Smith to Oilers

Administrator

Default [Signing] Mike Smith to Oilers

Frank Seravalli
    @frank_seravalli
    Veteran goalie Mike Smith has chosen the #Oilers. He’s more or less trading places with Cam Talbot, who as we hinted on Monday, is heading to the #Flames.

More on what that means for Lehner, Mrazek, and the rest of the goalie market on
    @SportsCentre
    at 6pm ET.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Default Re: [Rumoured Signing] Mike Smith to Oilers

As much as Smith is washed, and unlikely to rebound, this is probably a better option than giving big money and term to a middling option like Petr Mrazek, Semyon Varlamov, etc. I guess we don't know the term or AAV for Smith, so this could be bad, but I'd expect this to be a small AAV with some bonuses of variable achievability on a one-year term. Goalie will remain a weakness and question mark for the Oilers but at least their tandem shouldn't cost more than $7M for this season, and hopefully less than $6M. That would give them some more room to spend on their other openings.

The Oilers still need to fill two winger slots and a third-line center spot. After the Sekera buyout they had ~$10M to spend on those three spots plus their backup G. If Smith comes in at less than $2M AAV, the Oilers can maybe get a real name in UFA. Still, I'd expect that "name" signing to wind up being a regrettable contract. And it appears they are rumoured to be in on Corey Perry so that would likely fit the bill of big name, washed up, regrettable and overpaid. I'd actually love to see Perry sign a reasonable deal. Just don't think it'll happen.

Should also mention that Smith had his best years under Tippett in Arizona. That was many years and many injuries ago, but likely a reason Smith signed on. Worth asking, are either Smith or Tippett still good?

Dobber Sports Padawan

per James Mirtle ...
    "One veteran agent said at the draft that it's musical chairs for the goalie UFAs. Someone is going to be left without chair."

Smith to Edm would be a better story if he had a shot to be the #1, but that would seem highly unlikely.

Administrator

Frank Seravalli
    @frank_seravalli
    Expectation is Mike Smith will be in neighbourhood of $2 million base salary with potential to earn up to $2 million more in performance bonuses on a one-year deal with #Oilers, to be announced tomorrow.

Administrator

That structure is a little bit more expensive than what I speculated/hoped for above, but roughly in the ballpark. Would've liked to have seen this come in a little cheaper. Very curious how achievable these bonuses are. This reduces their pot of money to play with to $8M at most and $6M at least. Kinda hoping they don't spend more than $6M to fill their final three holes.

The Great One

Really don't know what to make of this, but I suppose it makes sense to have a vet signed just in case Koskinen craps the bed next year. With all the goalies available, I'm just a bit surprised Smith is their guy...

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont hate it, especially if it's only a one year term. Gives someone like Starrat another year in the AHL to develop.

If Smith can stay healthy, he can give a good 1B option. One of the better puck playing goalies in the league.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Pretty crazy to think that 12-13 Mike Smith was one of the best GSAA seasons of all time, and now he's so completely washed.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Pretty crazy to think that 12-13 Mike Smith was one of the best GSAA seasons of all time, and now he's so completely washed.
    Believe that was 2011-12 when he turned 30, so I don't think it's that wild for him to be washed seven years later. He's also a year removed from league-average play so maybe a bounce-back? I'm not optimistic on that front but goalies are voodoo.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Believe that was 2011-12 when he turned 30, so I don't think it's that wild for him to be washed seven years later. He's also a year removed from league-average play so maybe a bounce-back? I'm not optimistic on that front but goalies are voodoo.
    Was it 11-12? I was just trying to go from memory, as I think I actually drafted him for that season lol. You're right, this stuff is next to impossible to predict, I'm just not feeling to great about a bounce-back at this point in his career. Let's hope he does.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

If I’m McDavid I’m at home thinking “Great...more crap players that don’t really address our needs. Jane, get me off this crazy thing!!”
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    If I’m McDavid I’m at home thinking “Great...more crap players that don’t really address our needs. Jane, get me off this crazy thing!!”
    How does this signing not address their issues? They need a backup goalie.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."