Thread: Trading for Hart

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trading for Hart

Would I be totally out of my mind to trade a 6th round pick for Carter Hart at $863,333 aav for 2 seasons and protecting him instead of Holtby at $6M on last year of contract?

I feel this might just be me wanting to trade for the fun of trading.

Cap league in signature.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

The Great One

Default Re: Trading for Hart

Only 7 goalies are kept in your format, so there is never an issue getting a good one at the draft.

And given that only wins and shut outs matter--> this places a huge emphasis for winning teams.

I'd still rather Holtby next year. With all the weird trades Philadelphia made this off season, I'm not sure I'm buying them right now.

All to say, I like what you have.

Granted, if you think Philly will make huge strides, then moving 5th to make this swap is no big deal.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

That's a lot of cap room to gain. I think the Capitals are a solid team.

Sadly, I think the Flyers are going to disappoint until they get a new GM or get really lucky, but the win totals may be close. What did that amount of cap room buy you off the waiver wire at the end of last season? That's a way to see what kind of talent add you can get using pure cap room.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    What did that amount of cap room buy you off the waiver wire at the end of last season? That's a way to see what kind of talent add you can get using pure cap room.
    Well in my league GMs tend to stay away from very high salaries, so lots of high end players will be available at the draft.

My reasoning behind possibly getting Hart is the saved cap space would allow me to add either a player like McDavid (GMs have tried having him in lineup but ended up dropping him and instead getting 2 players around the 6-8M which is a lot easier to manage) or 2 very productive players.

Pretty sure Hart will get me less points than Holtby but the upgrade at forward/defense position might be worth it.

Interesting high salary players that are available so far at the draft (protection lists not handed in before August)
    McDavid
    Ovechkin
    Tavares
    O'Reilly
    Kessel
    Malkin
    John Carlson
    Hedman
    Letang

Few interesting mid level salary players available (The around 6M productive players have become a hot commodity)
    Zibanejad
    Hertl
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Grand Master

There's enough out there that makes me think the cap savings works for you, then.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks stevegamer.

Anyone else willing to share their thoughts on this? I am still torn between the two options.