Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zaitsev for Ceci

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Zaitsev for Ceci

So I'm on my cell so I can't really get a link but sounds like zaitsev is moving to Ottawa for Ceci on July 1st so the Leafs pay Zaitsevs 3mill bonus
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Zaitsev for Ceci

Ok. Don’t mind taking a chance on Ceci

Dobber Sports Titan

Brown or a pick might be going with zaits

Dobber Sports Genius

10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

yeah, McKenzie is speculating that Brown is also going to Ottawa.

Great deal for Ottawa, imo.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Titan

Thanks hockey man

And ya, brown is on a 1yr deal, but RFA after this yr. Could get a lot of TOI this yr and up his value getting legit ice time. Or easy re-sign for Ottawa if he doesn't do well

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm wondering if Dubas either let's Ceci walk, or flips him somewhere else for a prospect/pick. Means the Leafs save the cap without giving up a sizeable asset, and recoup the piece they send to Ottawa. Trying to sign Ceci for whatever he would ask for just doesn't fit.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'm wondering if Dubas either let's Ceci walk, or flips him somewhere else for a prospect/pick. Means the Leafs save the cap without giving up a sizeable asset, and recoup the piece they send to Ottawa. Trying to sign Ceci for whatever he would ask for just doesn't fit.
    I tend to agree. I can't see Ceci wanting to sign for much less than what Zaitsev is earning, so I don't see this as much of a cap savings for Toronto as I thought they'd be after by dropping Zaitsev. I honestly thought they'd deal Zaitsev for a pick or prospect as opposed to a roster player.

Makes me think also that Ceci will be flipped.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Padawan

If Ceci plays the year then files for arbitration the Leafs (if he sucks) will let him walk and get a few years of cap relief they otherwise would have been giving Zaitsev.

In the short term Ottawa gets a $4.5M cap hit to help them get to the floor while only having to pay an actual salary of $1.5M this season after we pay the bonus. After this season though Zaitsev has a couple of years of straight $4.5M salary that has to be paid but that will be Ottawa's problem to figure out.

If Brown ends up being the sweetener like Bobby Mac suspects he could be then it's a similar situation, I think we would pay his $500k bonus July 1 and the Sens will only have to pay him <$2M in actual salary for his one remaining season.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Padawan

Actually Ceci is RFA now so he might not even have to play the year before the Leafs let him walk. Leafs still need bodies on defense to fill out the lineup though.

Dobber Sports Deity

I actually like this trade for Ottawa. I think Zaitsev is overpaid on dollars and term but Ceci was headed there too. The biggest difference for me is Zaitsev is at least good at something where as Ceci is soon to be overpaid and really not good at anything.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

why did Ceci fall from grace ? for whatever reason I've paid little attention to him .

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I actually like this trade for Ottawa. I think Zaitsev is overpaid on dollars and term but Ceci was headed there too. The biggest difference for me is Zaitsev is at least good at something where as Ceci is soon to be overpaid and really not good at anything.
    I think you have to take situation into account. When a player plays up in the lineup, but only out of necessity, you get those type of results...Ceci is not a bad D man, but was playing too many minutes and therefore was exposed more often...a la Phaneuf in Toronto. Ceci is not a top 4D, and paying him as such would be a mistake. So either the Leafs give him a bridge deal to get buy them time until they can add help from the Marlies, or fill the need with a more cost effective option via trade.

Brown going to Ottawa is the price of doing business. He is a luxury the Leafs can't afford at this time with his $2.1M on the 3rd line. He will clearly help Ottawa with whatever they need, and may get a shot on the 2nd line, but can clearly do whatever they need him to.

Zaitsev had a great rookie year, and then got a 7 year deal from Lamoriello, so moving him means Dubas is pretty much free of Lou's signings now. His $4.5M per is not a terrible overpay, but when you factor the 5 more years of it...it doesn't fit on the cap for the Leafs, AND please don't tell me he had a great playoffs...because that was purely a function of Jake Muzzin. If Ottawa can find a D partner that covers up for his mistakes then he may have value, but with a team of really young players, he will probably need to play higher in the lineup. Ottawa will still be a bottom dweller for the next little while, so Zaitsev serves that purpose as well, but the Leafs need everyone they can making a positive impact for the money...remains to be seen how that works out.

I like the deal for both, in terms of shedding salary for the Leafs, and Ottawa getting a real player in Brown, and in the cap era, that's what this comes down to.
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    Actually Ceci is RFA now so he might not even have to play the year before the Leafs let him walk. Leafs still need bodies on defense to fill out the lineup though.
    They can only let him walk if Ceci files for arbitration and the award comes in at a certain amount (about 4.3 or more). If he accepts his qualifying offer, of the Leafs take Ceci to arbitration, they can't walk away from it. This info was posted on The Athletic today...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Darren Dreger‏Verified account @DarrenDreger 38s38 seconds ago

Zaitsev has officially waived his no trade clause to clear the way for completion of the Leafs trade tomorrow.