Thread: Big potential trade to get my 1st back

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Post Big potential trade to get my 1st back

Hi all, first time posting so bear with me! I really shot myself in the foot doing a trade earlier in the year when I thought i could be competitive. Fast forward to now and im seeing by all accounts the 2020 draft will be the best in the past few years, multiples guys in the mix to be top 5 picks. Hence, I'm trying to get my 1st back cuz i know my team wont be very good at all this year. That being said, the other owner has to be aware of these facts as well and is driving a hard bargain.

Trade looks like this atm:

I send - A Turcotte, A Heponiemi, 1st (from another owner, projected 10-15 range), conditional 1st (from another owner, conditions associated essentially mean its a 2021 pick, likely to be end of our first round, so around 14-16 overall), his 3rd (got it in a previous deal last year, probably early to mid 40s overall)

He sends - O Lindblom, J Zboril, Z Whitecloud, C Point, J L'Esperance, my 1st (with my team, definitely projected top 8 possibly top 5 with our lottery system), 2nd (from another owner, likely mid-late 20s overall)

Do you think this is a big overpay? Im already resigned to the fact im gonna have to overpay if i want my pick back, i just dont wanna be serious ripped off.
    Thanks for any input!
    CALIFORNIA GOLDEN SEALS
    16 team h2h points dynasty, multicat
    3 C/RW/LW, F, 6D, 2G, 7B, 40 minors
    C: Scheifele, Couturier, R. Strome, Granlund, Kuraly
    RW: Kucherov, Keller, Nichushkin, Joseph, Blais
    LW: Verhaeghe, M. Foligno, Acciari, Palat, Knies
    D: Durzi, Dunn, Forsling, Skjei, Brodin, DeMelo, Seeler
    G: Thompson, Lyon, Kochetkov, (Campbell)
    Minors: Snugg, Korczak x 2, Cuylle, Molendyk, Hrabal, Ersson, etc.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Big potential trade to get my 1st back

Yup, that's a MASSIVE overpay.. I think you should dive into Turcotte a bit more. I agree it's a super deep/high end draft... but Turcotte is no slouch.

Might be time to step away from your computer.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Welcome to the forums!

I think it's a big overpay. Turcotte and two firsts? No thank you. Rather than overpaying for the first, I would rather just try to be competitive and just run the pick up into the back end (the 8th you mentioned), or even farther up into the playoff ladder. At that point Turcotte is probably the better asset anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Massive overpay IMO. Your first for next year is gone; just let it go and don't think about it.

And if you are seriously thinking about this deal, check into what other teams with similar 1st's for next year are asking; you should be able to find a lower price. And if you can't, just walk away.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks everyone for your input, really appreciate it! I was already kinda on the fence, i might have to reassess my options.
    CALIFORNIA GOLDEN SEALS

Dobber Sports Sophomore

dunno if anyone will see this, but considering the overpay i was considering, does this amended trade make sense?

Turcotte

for

my 1st back (again, most likely top 8, possibly top 5...)

thanks!
    CALIFORNIA GOLDEN SEALS

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake View Post
    dunno if anyone will see this, but considering the overpay i was considering, does this amended trade make sense?

Turcotte

for

my 1st back (again, most likely top 8, possibly top 5...)

thanks!
    Just my two cents but you've already got a high end prospect with Turcotte. That pick next year doesn't guarantee you a better player as you are putting your hopes on a lottery pick. Yeah, it could end up being the 1st OA but it could also end up being a lower pick. One that may not be as good as Turcotte could be. I think you should keep him. You could end up in the same position where you regret trading him away like your previous pick.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Gonna say no to this too man. Stand pat. You can only say what, 4 prospects next year are possibly better than Turcotte? So you'd be hoping and praying to get a top 4 pick, which is 100% unguaranteed. It's only June. You don't truly know what kind of team you have. What if it's pick 8? Or lower? You lose emphatically. Even pick 5, you have a high chance of losing.

Seems to me you're having 3 major issues happening to you right now.

1. You're overvaluing prospects/the unknown. I see it in my league all the time. It's that exciting, gambling feeling of what if that pick is the next superstar? It likely isn't. Think of the joke, "Alex Turcotte is Alex Turcotte, but pick 5 could be anything, including Alex Turcotte!"

2. Buyer's remorse. You regret a trade you made and you're trying hard to overcompensate for it. I've made player dumps that I regretted and overpaid to get them back in trades. Let go, and move on. It's a learning experience.

3. This other owner might be more experienced than you and I feel is trying to take advantage of you in these trades. He likely got you once and is trying to get you again. That first trade offer is absolutely horrible. You had the best 4 of the top 5 assets in the deal; two firsts, Turcotte, and Heponiemi.

Just goes to show that fantasy hockey is a lot more than just names on a website. There's human factors involved. Keep Turcotte and be happy you have LA's future 1C on your roster. They're making lots of good roster moves. Future is trending up for them.

Dobber Sports Genius

Ouch, both of those deals are huge overpayments. That first one is especially outrageous.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Veteran

As a general rule I dont trade my first round picks. This is in stone if im rebuilding.