Default Mid-Draft Rule Change

League Info:

- One year 'Best Ball' League
    - 12 teams
    - No waiver or free agency
    - trades allowed only during the draft
    - 30 round draft

Proposed Rule Change:

- After the 22 round of the draft, two teams have decided to back out.
    - The Commissioner imposed a new rule without discussion from the league.
    - The Draft is going to be extended from 30 rounds to 34 rounds
    - The players that were drafted from the two teams that dropped out become available in rounds 31 to 34 only.

My Challenge for you:

I have tried explaining to the commissioner the problems with this, but I have not been successful... I figured I would come to the forums and see if I can get some more explanations and see if any of them will open the commissioner's eyes.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Mid-Draft Rule Change

Yeah... you can't do that. I'd just say 'thank you' and ask for my money back.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    Yeah... you can't do that. I'd just say 'thank you' and ask for my money back.
    That. That's pretty obvious that you can't do that without screwing some guys and give an advantage to others. If they are commish and can't understand that by themselve... they are not decent enough to be commish or they understand very well but the advantage is to them and they don't care.

That's just not a good league to be in. You'll soon come to another situation like this again if you decide to stay.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

OMG, no, no, no, no.
    This is a dumb commissioner...
    Can't do that.

The draft-round-value of the two teams' worth of players being considered for "redistribution" is 1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4...etc...
    So anybody that drafts with the first few picks in the round extensions gets GREAT PLAYERS... and those drafting later get lessers.

For example, with 10 teams, the draft picks would be:
    Team1: 1st rounder, 10th rounder, 11th rounder etc...
    Team2: 1st rounder, 10th rounder, 11th rounder etc...
    Team3: 2nd rounder, 9th rounder, 12th rounder etc...
    Team9: 5th rounder, 6th rounder, 15th rounder etc...
    Team10: 5th rounder, 6th rounder, 15th rounder etc...

It's just a NO... the value of a 1st+10th rounder >> the value of a 5th+6th rounder...
    That's not a 2-for-2 apples-to-apples, so it is unfair.

I would say the fairest option would be to re-walk through the draft and allow teams this:
    *Keep Drafted Player, or Select from Pool
    Go through the first 30 rounds... pick 01, pick 02, pick 03, pick 04... maybe at pick 09 somebody says "I'd rather have Marchand, and I'm throwing my 09-Benn pick back into the pool".
    Its another way of re-doing the draft, where teams can still keep the players they grabbed.

Even this isn't fair, because if a team made some really sneaky selections, they now may not have a single player they want to "throw back in the pool" - because other teams are now aware of that player's VALUE.

My advice:
    Personally - if this is a one-year league, the commissioner has to consider setting the vacant teams "best weekly roster" at the start of each week, and leave all teams untouched for the year.
    No changes, no adds, no drops, and NO new GMs to manage the team, unless some can be found prior to start of year.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The solution would be that all players selected by the two other teams CAN'T be selected this season.
    We did that one year when someone left and it was the best logical decision
    10 Keepers Salary Cap League (96,025,000M Cap - Players CAP-HIT)
    8 Teams / 12 FW, 6 D, 1G, 4 Scratches
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: 1xG + 1xA
    D: 2xG + 1xA
    G: 2xW + 1xOTL + 1xSO

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,
    D: Heiskanen, Andersson, Sergachev, Mintyukov, Addison, Guhle

G: Shesterkin

Scratch : Dach, Wheeler, Eklund,
    Lundkvist
    FARM : Edvinsson, Stankoven, Kulich, Musty, Leonard, Hutson

Big Daddy

Bail on this league because it is likely to fall apart anyways. I say this from personal experience. A few years back I joined a new dynasty league with deep rosters, this was a full year before the Dahlin draft. After about 4 rounds of slow drafting the commissioner decided to let guys like Dahlin, Zadina, Svechnikov etc available to draft before they were even NHL eligible. Other rule changes came out of left field without consulting any of the league managers. Needless to say I bailed and I don’t think the league lasted more than 1 year.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Thank you very much for the responses.

I am putting together a response to send the commissioner that will help him realize this.

If anyone else has any comments that they think should be added I will gladly add them.

I have decided that I am leaving the league but that I will give the commissioner some help so that they can only get better.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The best thing to do is freeze the rosters of those two teams, and have the teams not play. The issue is that if more teams leave, they will need to freeze more players. They should look at this as a sudden contraction, where those players are frozen on rosters.

One thing I will point to that most out here don't realize is that fantasy baseball at first was a NL or AL only affair most of the time. I have seen leagues forced to contract do so by making teams, divisions, and leagues off limits, and not just in baseball, but also basketball & football.

I'd simply freeze the selected players out of the league pool, and go from there.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ACC90 View Post
    The solution would be that all players selected by the two other teams CAN'T be selected this season.
    I like this approach.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Padawan

Is it possible these players can be made available in a waiver draft down the road? Have no idea if this would work but I'm not familiar with a lot of the other types of leagues out there. Our pool is simple. We did our rookie draft and shortly after, a guy ended up leaving. His roster was made out as a draft afterwards. We did a lottery and the winner had first pick from his roster.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ACC90 View Post
    This is the course of action I would take right now and then have post-draft discussion on what to do with the players on those rosters.

Another option could be to suspend the draft and try to find two new owners pick up these teams...although it's not ideal to take over a team that's already part way through the draft.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket