Thread: Blues to keep Jake Allen

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Blues to keep Jake Allen

On NHL Network Radio today Steve Kouleas reported that the Blues will not move Jake Allen. How much does this drop Binnington's stock?
    10-Team H2H (Multi-cat Pts) 4 Partial Keeper (After 4th round drafted)
    Designated as 1st-4th round pick (*)
    G/A/P/PIM/PPP-W/SV/SV%/GA/SO
    Daily 6F/ 4D 2G 1 UT

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Blues to keep Jake Allen

No one wants to trade for a backup making almost $4.5 million? I’m surprised.

Seriously though, I could’ve sworn the Blues were saying their plan was to play Allen more than they did down the stretch run. I could see 45-50 starts for Binnington with Allen getting the rest of them. He seems to play better with a legit challenger on the team so it could improve his own numbers but Binningtons play would really have to fall off for Allen to become a serious threat again.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm not sure it drops Binnington's stock much. Binnington's stock will never be higher than it is right now...

Allen has had every opportunity to take over the starting job in St. Louis for the past several seasons and has never been able to put a sustained run together. Binnington will come into next season as the starter and if his backup wasn't Jake Allen it likely would have been a different 1B veteran. Allen will not take the net from Binnington for any period of time without Binnington's play causing him to lose the net and if that is the case Binnington would lose the net to any other capable backup.

To sum up, Binnington had an amazing run but is far from an established, permanent #1 starter. If Binnington builds on this season in a real way then no backup will take the net from him and if he falters it won't be because of who is behind him. Maybe Binnington's stock falls a tiny bit because the Blues try and showcase Allen for a trade but not much of anything IMO.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

Maybe St Louis is actually happy with the tandem they have and don't want to break it up. Maybe they don't see a better FA option for what the cost would be. Lots of unknowns.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I think another incentive is that if they ship him out, Binnington can argue that he should be the workhorse starter, fresh off of winning a cup, and at that point he could command over 7M. With the Blues keeping Allen, maybe he falls more in line of the Helle/Vas/Murray contracts that were all signed with other goalies around that could take over. A 4.5M Binnington is much different than a 7M asset.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Perhaps they understand that Binns sudden success was a flash in the pan...and Allen is a known commodity when the bubble bursts.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Maybe St Louis is actually happy with the tandem they have and don't want to break it up. Maybe they don't see a better FA option for what the cost would be. Lots of unknowns.
    Agreed. Why break them up after where they got with them? Allen is better than how he played last year and Binnington is the real thing. Great tandem.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by flyersffan View Post
    How much does this drop Binnington's stock?
    It doesn't change anything because neither guy is playing 70 games. Both will get starts.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Perhaps they understand that Binns sudden success was a flash in the pan...and Allen is a known commodity when the bubble bursts.
    Yep. Except he's known to be a commodity with an upside of being slightly above average, and prone to funks where he completely stinks. I'm unsurprised they kept Allen, as the lsit of GM's dumb enough to take that contract on is short.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It makes sense, $4.5m is pricey for a backup, but even for a high end backup or 1B, you're prob looking at minimum $2.5mil a year. Look at how well both goalies played this year in the SC final. Rask who had his lightest workload in year thanks to Halak and Binns who only played half the year in the NHL.
    Makes sense for the Blues to keep Allen, who has shown in the past that he can work well in a tandem (it's his consistency that is lacking). Have a 50-30 split and keep Binns fresh for the playoffs.
    12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov

Dobber Sports Veteran

I read a tweet somewhere talking about how during the playoffs Allen would study their opponents goalies tendencies and mimic them during practice for the skaters to try and get a custom to beating them.

We all know Allen's ups and downs but he's still a serviceable goalie and Binnington can't win forever, see Andrew Hammond & Matt Murray.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Allen gets an already-agreed-upon salary to sit on the bench for the majority of time... and he's OK with that.
    Seems like a situation that makes sense.
    Obv - not great for Blues cap situation, but they've got until early March to figure out if they need to move Allen to upgrade the roster.

Dobber Sports Jedi

What else are they to do with him?

If he's good in the room and good with Binnington. Better the bird in hand.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

To me, this either says....

1)They're not 100% sold on Bininngton
    2)Noone wants to pay for a $4.5m backup.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Master

if its not causing a serious cap crunch then enjoy the luxury for now ; eventually things change and they might get calls on him for a host of good reasons .