Thread: Grade My Draft Board

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Grade My Draft Board

My keeper league's draft is this Saturday and I'm trying to prepare a ranking list to help me draft. I would appreciate any mentions of players who you think should be there or anyone who seems wildly out of place. I have the 3rd, 13th, 20th, 22nd, 27th, and 43rd picks out of 50 so I'm hoping to be able to use this not only as my queue in fantrax but a rough gauge as to where guys could go so I know if need to make any trades prior to get people I want.

The values I list are based on where players where listed in Cam Robinson's rankings he put out last week, where in the draft and to what team players actually went, the ranking and upside projection of the Dobber fantasy prospect report, and where available the PNHLe and Fantasy Upside rating of the the player that is listed on Dobber.

Rank Name Rank Name Rank Name Rank Name Rank Name
    1 Jack Hughes 11 Arthur Kaliyev 21 Ville Heinola 31 Simon Holmstrom 41 Jamieson Rees
    2 Kaapo Kakko 12 Dylan Cozens 22 Victor Soderstrom 32 Samuel Poulin 42 Brett Leason
    3 Alex Turcotte 13 Cole Caufield 23 Ryan Suzuki 33 Matthew Robertson 43 Nathan Legare
    4 Bowen Byram 14 Thomas Harley 24 Nils Holander 34 Raphael Lavoie 44 Alex Beaucage
    5 Trevor Zegras 15 Spencer Knight 25 Philip Broberg 35 Connor McMichael 45 Brayden Tracey
    6 Alex Newhook 16 Cam York 26 Pavel Dorofeyev 36 John Beecher 46 Vladislav Kolyachonok
    7 Peyton Krebs 17 Bobby Brink 27 Patrick Puistola 37 Tobias Bjornfot 47 Robert Mastrosimone
    8 Vaily Podkolzin 18 Philip Tomasino 28 Lassi Thompson 38 Albin Grewe 48 Alex Campbell
    9 Matthew Boldy 19 Nicholas Robertson 29 Jakob Pelletier 39 Nolan Foote 49 Tuuka Tieksola
    10 Kirby Dach 20 Moritz Seider 30 Ryan Johnson 40 Samuel Fagemo 50 Anttoni Honka
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    G,A,+/-,PIM,SOG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

4C: A.Barkov, N.Kadri, N.Schmaltz, S.Stamkos
    4LW: J.Gaudreau, J.Huberdeau, L.Raymond, C.Mittelstadt
    4RW: D.Pastrnak, S.Reinhart, B.Rust, A.Iafallo
    6D: T.Barrie, B.Chiarot, B.Dillon, S.Gostisbehere, E.Gustafsson, B.Skjei
    2G: J.Binnington, A.Hill, P.Mrazek
    Res: R.O'Reilly, T.Hall, P.Kane, P-O.Joseph, J.Drysdale, M.Bunting

F: M.Bourque, B.Brisson, W.Eklund, D.Goyette, R.Suzuki, R.Jarventie, A.Martino, T.Fix-Wolansky, S.Holmstrom, J.Kemell, C.Lucius, C.Bedard, W.Whitelaw, A.Cristall, S.Poulin
    D:T.Harley, D.Mateychuk, J.McIsaac, D.Samorukov, L.Cagnoni
    G: J.Daccord, P.Kochetkov, K.Keyser, A.Werner

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Grade My Draft Board

If it is for the league in your signature, then you need to think about categories your league considers.
    For example, a center taking faceoffs has extra value if you count FOW.
    A defensemen that hits & blocks has extra value if you count HIT & BLK.

I like Cam's list a lot, except that I'd move Kaliyev out of the top 13 and put Seider squarely at #13.
    Detroit obviously has a lot invested in him... and with his size he should end up being great in HIT+BLK multi-cat.

If it's a 10-team start 2G league, I'd consider Spencer Knight at #20, but not at #13.

Do your own research on good FOW centers that are good on the dot... bump them up 3-4 spots.
    I'd hedge that Cam probably didn't factor FOW into his analyses... since most leagues don't count that.

The #3 pick is a tough one...
    If you can trade down to still inside the top 13... and improve another top 30 pick (by 10 spots)... I probably would.

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm not going to get into places where I think someone should go up or down 1-2 spots, just the bigger discrepancies:

-Caufield should be higher, especially counting G,A, AND P
    -McMichael I really like. Got him at 18 in my prospect draft. Don't expect most to have him that high, but higher than 35 in fantasy anyways.
    -17 seems high for Brink. I would slide him back 6-10 slots.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I will say I have been pretty interested in Turcotte and was fully planning to take him at 3. I think he'll stay a C and while he might take longer than someone like Dach to get there he has a higher ceiling than Dach, Cozens, or Zegras. I'll look at who's at 5 where I think I would still have a chance at him and see if I could move up from 27th because as I was building this list right around 30 is where I really started to struggle putting one guy over another.

I like the multi-cat bonus to Seider and while I was shocked he went that high Yzerman is someone I have faith in making picks. Looking at projections of him next to guys like York and Harley though he didn't leap off the board for me though. 20 is too low though.

My starting point for Spencer Knight was actually right at 20 but I kept pushing him up based on having next to no goalie prospects. So much good talk about him but if I lose him and just pay attention I'm sure I can find someone else who gets hot during the season or gets put in a position to play. Was feeding into the hype on him.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

F: M.Bourque, B.Brisson, W.Eklund, D.Goyette, R.Suzuki, R.Jarventie, A.Martino, T.Fix-Wolansky, S.Holmstrom, J.Kemell, C.Lucius, C.Bedard, W.Whitelaw, A.Cristall, S.Poulin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Appreciate the feedback. I love having Debrincat but Caufield's PNHLe was what had me pushing him back some. Even if he did end up as a 2nd line he can still run up the goals just like Debrincat though so you're right I'll push him up. I'll push McMichael to about 30 but his Upside projection is pretty low for points. Brink I slid back 4 slots.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by chris20973 View Post
    Appreciate the feedback. I love having Debrincat but Caufield's PNHLe was what had me pushing him back some. Even if he did end up as a 2nd line he can still run up the goals just like Debrincat though so you're right I'll push him up. I'll push McMichael to about 30 but his Upside projection is pretty low for points. Brink I slid back 4 slots.
    The thing about Caufield is that he produces goals at a ridiculous rate, and that's the hardest thing to do in the NHL. In my own personal rankings, I've got CC sort of in his own tier after the Turcotte/Byram tier at 3-4. Finding wingers who can pile up goals is typically fantasy gold, so he gets a bump for those reasons.

For what it's worth, I've got Brink inside my top-15 because his production in the USHL was just ridiculous. I don't care what his stride looks like. He isn't slow, and his agility / vision is very good. Same goes for Dorofeyev, who I had ranked 16th just after Brink. The guy absolutely torched the MHL to the tune of 31 points (17 goals) in 19 games - for reference, Podkolzin had 8 points (6 goals) in 12 MHL games.

One last point: I don't really recommend drafting D-men outside of Byram (and maybe Seider). I would move up guys like Tomasino, Brink, Robertson, Dorofeyev, Pelletier, Puistola etc. ahead of the middle-tier of Dmen after Seider if you choose to leave him in your top-20. There's no way I'd take Harley, York, or Spencer Knight, ahead of those guys. Longer wait, and much more difficult to predict.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Brink I have adjusted back to 17 because his upside points of 40-40-80 and PNHLe of 60.8 is too high to push lower for me. The PNHLe is actually what is holding me back most on Caufield (53.2) though I did bump him up to 10. I get what he put is ridiculous and there isn't anything saying he won't but between him and a guy like Boldy it'd be a tough pick for me.

Dorofeyev I could reasonably move up higher, but for some reason his PNHLe is kind of incomplete sitting at just a 10.9, with a similar issue on Puistola (5.6). I'll probably looking at moving them closer to 20 than they I find it hard numbers wise to do so by moving York and Harley down. 10-40-50 with 57.9 and 15-40-55 61.8 respectively on their upside and PNHLe seems awesome. Both went above guys like Tomasino, Brink, Puistola, Dorofeyev too.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by chris20973 View Post
    Brink I have adjusted back to 17 because his upside points of 40-40-80 and PNHLe of 60.8 is too high to push lower for me. The PNHLe is actually what is holding me back most on Caufield (53.2) though I did bump him up to 10. I get what he put is ridiculous and there isn't anything saying he won't but between him and a guy like Boldy it'd be a tough pick for me.

Dorofeyev I could reasonably move up higher, but for some reason his PNHLe is kind of incomplete sitting at just a 10.9, with a similar issue on Puistola (5.6). I'll probably looking at moving them closer to 20 than they I find it hard numbers wise to do so by moving York and Harley down. 10-40-50 with 57.9 and 15-40-55 61.8 respectively on their upside and PNHLe seems awesome. Both went above guys like Tomasino, Brink, Puistola, Dorofeyev too.
    It's not going to be fruitful to base your fantasy drafts off of how the NHL draft went down, as the pros overrate Dmen and go on goalie runs in the second round quite regularly. I wouldn't put too much stock into a guy's specific draft position affecting potential fantasy value too much. Unless a guy slides into the 6th round or something. Fun fact about Dorofeyev's draft position: both he and Brayden Point were selected 79th overall in their respective drafts. This isn't an exact science.

For the record, I think PNHLe is a very useful metric to be used in evaluating prospects, but I would caution against using it as the be-all end-all metric to rate prospects. Especially for situations like the production of the U-18 USNTDP roster. With all the high-end players on that roster, it's hard to evaluate those guys going just by the numbers. As far as Caufield goes, putting up heavy shot volume and scoring nearly goal per game against college opponents ... I'm not worried about him translating his production to the NHL.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Fair points, I appreciate the input.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO